England's Glorious Failure

4 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

You realise France start with Olivier Giroud?

Half of those players don't even play in the same position as Kane. What a bizarre argument. 

France started their first match with Mbappe, Demebélé and Griezmann up front, and I'm sure that was Deschamp's first-choice forward line. Dembélé underperformed and has since been replaced by Giroud, but in the long run I don't think anyone who's ever seen a football match would say Giroud is better than Dembélé. 

Every player I mentioned is a forward so stop acting the goat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nick_BCFC said:

Any of the others got 6 goals in 3 games?

Any of them played the unmitigated pish that were Tunisia and Panama? He's had three penalties and a deflection of someone else's shot off his heel so lets not get carried away.

But if you insist, he's probably as good as Oleg Salenko.

58 minutes ago, marty_j said:

They really don’t believe that though

It's a broad generalisation 

I reckon there are several different types of England Fan including (but not limited to) ...

• The ones that actually pay attention to international football outside of tournaments and will tend to have a reasonable idea of where things stand
  • The ones that watch the premiership  exclusively and tend to overrate England somewhat on the basis that they've got more recognisable names
  • The ones that don't actually like football but stick flags on their cars and get swept along with the bullshit completely

There's probably more of the last group than the first

They've now got until Saturday for the next game, the media are already ripping the heid aff it by 3 o'clock on the day of the game it will be at hysterical levels nationwide.

Cue a boiling hot day loads of drink consumed, hopes dashed and no patio furniture will be safe. 

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

They're favourites to beat Sweden, but trying to search for positives without falling into the 'Colombia will pump them' trap that we saw before this game.

England have struggled to break everyone other than Panama down from open play and Sweden have mostly been solid defensively, while Sweden will surely to f**k have learned from watching England's games so far - you cannot get away with fouling them in the box. If they keep their discipline and avoid giving them a penalty, where are goals going to come from?

We've only witnessed it once, but going by last night they don't handle a game descending into a scrap very well.  It was understandable to get rattled with the amount of shithousing Colombia were doing after the penalty, but following that England's discipline went just as badly, with Henderson getting involved in petty stuff and Stones extremely lucky to avoid a red card.

This loss of discipline also went in tandem with Colombia coming into the game - they hadn't really had any worthwhile spells of possession in England's half prior to that. Obviously that's partly down to England naturally sitting deeper to hold the lead, but it should still be a concern to them how Henderson & Alli faded out of the game once it became a shitfest, with Dier replacing Alli doing little to solidify them. You'd expect it to be another tight game - can their midfield handle it if it becomes scrappy again?

On the flip side, the way Sweden utterly shat the bed against Germany in the groups is a concern. Okay, they followed that up with a pumping of Mexico and a solid performance to grind out a win against Switzerland so it's not like they aren't having a good tournament or have been lucky to get this far, but that game shows they have their weaknesses.

I just hope to f**k Croatia get past Russia. While you wouldn't expect them to blow England away the way the attacking talents of France, Uruguay or Brazil might, they're the one side in this half of the draw who you'd make slight favourites against them.

Good summary.

England have only scored 2 of their 9 goals from open play, both against Panama. Also thought Colombia had them sussed out at set pieces last night, aside from the brainless foul on Kane for the penalty. It's clearly an area of the game they've worked on, but perhaps they're shown their hand too soon.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm hoping England make it to the final but get thrashed unless they face Brazil with Neymar playing.

Ah yes, imagine the seethe if Sir Jordan Pickford or the Right Honourable Harry Maguire were to be dismissed from the field of play for a completely fair challenge on Neymar who proceeded to writhe and scream as if he were giving birth to a porcupine through his anus.

The media are ramping it up already and its only the last 16. This is the best chance they have had to win it, big sides falling by the way side. riding their luck and for some weird reason that could go down as a pttgoyn, despite being warned about the grappling in the box, defenders are still doing it. This reeks of chelseas champions league win, greeces 2004 euros victory. Everything just falling into place. I will hate it if they win it because they are our rivals and the media will be unbearable.

Any of the others got 6 goals in 3 games?
3 penalties, one unmarked tap-in, one unmarked close range header, and one off his horsy arse that he knew f**k all about.

And last night's penalty should never have been given because he was fouling first.

Don't get me wrong - he is a predatory striker - given a chance he usually hits the mark. He is, IMHO, a flat track bully who has generally been found to lack that creative spark up against better opposition. Kane needs someone to feed him the ball - it's not about stopping Kane it's about stopping the passes to him.

I've got to take my hat off to England, they have played this tournament spot on. Unlike England sides of the past they play to their strengths as a team and it's reaping rewards for them. If they get to the final, and it's no foregone conclusion, they will have a great chance of beating any of Brazil, France, Uruguay, Belgium etc.

I also don't think that they can be accused of being arrogant this time around, not even their media. They seem to have a much more grounded outlook but with a positive attitude that comes from having a side with some genuine top quality players at their disposal. The Scots often bemoan their media for talking them up, but at least that's better than playing their glorious failure card and trying to find positives where none exist.

Given the draw they’ve had, it would have been a bad peformance from England had they not got to the Quarter Finals here. They’d still have to beat 3 teams all very capable of beating them to win it. 

Ah yes, imagine the seethe if Sir Jordan Pickford or the Right Honourable Harry Maguire were to be dismissed from the field of play for a completely fair challenge on Neymar who proceeded to writhe and scream as if he were giving birth to a porcupine through his anus.
Pmsl if that happened

It's a broad generalisation 
I reckon there are several different types of England Fan including (but not limited to) ...
  • The ones that actually pay attention to international football outside of tournaments and will tend to have a reasonable idea of where things stand
  • The ones that watch the premiership  exclusively and tend to overrate England somewhat on the basis that they've got more recognisable names
  • The ones that don't actually like football but stick flags on their cars and get swept along with the bullshit completely
There's probably more of the last group than the first

Sadly yes

The ones who call it footy

I always feel 1/4 finals are the best we should be looking for and it’s been achieved. Failure is just round the corner, but it at least won’t be glorious now imo. Last 8 with this team is mental 

It’s not really mental with the draw they got though. The way it’s worked out with all the best teams being in one side of the draw is a disaster!

Under any other circumstances I would love to see that little rat Neymar get his comeuppance but watching him cheat his way through a match winning performance against England in the World Cup Final has a certain appeal to it.

Mainly though I would prefer to see Sweden knock them out on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

It’s not really mental with the draw they got though. The way it’s worked out with all the best teams being in one side of the draw is a disaster!

Why are you putting exclamation marks at the end of a lot of your posts these days, throbber?

Are you trying to emulate King Kebab?!!!

Why are you putting exclamation marks at the end of a lot of your posts these days, throbber?
Are you trying to emulate King Kebab?!!!

I can’t say that I noticed I was doing that (!)

Archived