England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't care when it is, as long as they do fail.

Sooner the better though ;) Then I can relax and just enjoy the tournament :) 

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Once more we see how slanted against European teams the WC is. 

Only 14 teams out of 32 in the competition are from Europe, and 10 of them qualified for the knockout stages.

As per usual the quarter finals will consist of around 6 of the 8 teams being from Europe.

Its obviously an excuse, but it is very much more difficult to qualify from Europe than anywhere else. 

It's light years more difficult to qualify from Europe than anywhere else.  There are a dozen teams in Europe at least who are better than at least 6-8 of the sides there.  

Europe is heavily discriminated against for two reasons, being good and football being massive already so no potential for growth.  So FIFA go out of their way to make it easy for shite like Australia and Saudi to qualify to grow the game while teams like Holland, Italy etc are watching on TV.

The whole point of world cup qualifying should be to identify the 32 best teams in the world and get them in a tournament together.  Not the four best from here and three from there.  And it's a simple fact about 25 of them would be European.

I've said for years uefa should flex it's muscles to get a better deal.  They should show some solidarity and say we want five more places.  The Qatar world cup gives the perfect chance too.  It's a farce, should never have been held there and will cause massive disruption to European leagues.  If uefa announced this afternoon their teams wouldn't be taking part in 2022 world cup it would be moved tomorrow morning. 

18 minutes ago, nsr said:

Any particular reason they're so terrified of facing Brazil? I'd be more worried about Spain or Croatia.

Bizarre isnt it?  They're fearing the name rather than the team.  Many, including me, had Brazil down to lift the trophy, but they've been no where near as impressive as Croatia, and you know Spain can maul anyone if they fancy it.

20 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Surely the Liverpool CL approach is far better, a far better fail

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bizarre isnt it?  They're fearing the name rather than the team.  Many, including me, had Brazil down to lift the trophy, but they've been no where near as impressive as Croatia, and you know Spain can maul anyone if they fancy it.

Aye but they're still Brazil still got quality and physique all over the park and would brush England aside.  

Sooner the better though [emoji6] Then I can relax and just enjoy the tournament [emoji4] 

^^^so much this!!!

When they went out at the group stage last time, the whole tournament just opened up and was so much more enjoyable, with obviously more games to enjoy as half of them weren't being treated as a backdrop to "England's inevitable route to the final"!!!

The very fact that they are still involved makes the nonstop bombardment of assorted media pish unavoidable and detracts from the enjoyment of the tournament for those of us in these islands who couldn't give a f**k about England!!!

It's no coincidence that the last World Cup that was an actual televisual feast of football where every game was enjoyed was 1994 when they didn't qualify, we didn't either but again not having to suffer with our own personal anguish perversely made it an enjoyable watch as well!!!

1 minute ago, King Kebab said:

It's no coincidence that the last World Cup that was an actual televisual feast of football where every game was enjoyed was 1994 when they didn't qualify, we didn't either but again not having to suffer with our own personal anguish perversely made it an enjoyable watch as well!!!

The media latched on to Ireland though, half of whose team was English anyway.

The media latched on to Ireland though, half of whose team was English anyway.

Yes, but nowhere near as much as the would have for Taylor's turnips!!!

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

39 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

^^^so much this!!!

When they went out at the group stage last time, the whole tournament just opened up and was so much more enjoyable, with obviously more games to enjoy as half of them weren't being treated as a backdrop to "England's inevitable route to the final"!!!

The very fact that they are still involved makes the nonstop bombardment of assorted media pish unavoidable and detracts from the enjoyment of the tournament for those of us in these islands who couldn't give a f**k about England!!!

All of this.

Also I'm naturally inclined to cheer for the underdogs, but I can't do that comfortably until England are gone - I want as many big teams as possible still in the tournament to get in their way.

All of this.
Also I'm naturally inclined to cheer for the underdogs, but I can't do that comfortably until England are gone - I want as many big teams as possible still in the tournament to get in their way.

Exactly and its therefore detracting from your enjoyment of the tournament as a whole, it may be an idea to book a US or Canadian holiday in 2022, where the coverage is neutral but in a language you can understand!!!
I was in Turkey during the last Euro's and ended up just staying in the hotel bar during the England games as any nights out were tarnished with the usual array of Union Jack clad drunken fuckwits dancing around the main drags!!!

I hope with all my being that Colombia tear England's defence a new one. The trolling I will bestow upon my brother in law will be of tumultuous proportions.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Any particular reason they're so terrified of facing Brazil? I'd be more worried about Spain or Croatia.

I don't get that either. If I were English, I would have wanted to win the group. Colombia will be much harder to defeat than Japan. And if they reach the quarter finals, I'm not so sure Sweden would be easier than Brazil/Mexico. Brazil failed to impress so far. Sweden got to this stage by knocking out The Netherlands (qualifying group), Italy (play-off) and Germany, while absolutely demolishing Mexico. Plus, their defensive style of play won't suit England.

If you harbour any ambitions of winning the World Cup, you cant be shiting it about who you may or may not meet at the quarter finals, indeed, a basic requirement of winning a tournament is being able to beat who is in front of you.

Shiting it about the various permutations at this stage is not the behaviour of a potential winner. Limmy was right. They are shitebags .

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If I were Southgate I'd want Brazil

Such is the mystique attached to the name that Brazil in the popular psyche that they are about the one nation an England side can get knocked out to without being labelled failures.

Good point. They're about the only team who are by reputation far better than England but not a figure of hate for the English public in the way that Germany/Argentina/Italy are.

Archived