England's Glorious Failure

Watched the England game tonight. English pundits getting all excited as they won 2 warm up games and "looked incredible".
Let's just put that in perspective.
1st half against Nigeria, The Africans were shite, ok England were decent but made to look good by a half arsed Nigeria. 2nd half Nigeria matched Englands formation and England couldn't cope and lost the 2nd half 1-0.
Tonight Costa Rica looked as if they wernt trying. Cracking strike from rashford but for me Navas has to move his feet quicker and he potentially saves it. 2-0 a fair result but even against a very poor Costa Rica team England didn't exactly blow them away, which for me shows they will struggle against the so called bigger teams who actually come out and attack them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Watched the England game tonight. English pundits getting all excited as they won 2 warm up games and "looked incredible".

Really? Neither of those sides are even likely to get out of their groups.

It shouldn't after this long, but it still amazes me how hysterical the media becomes about the English national side.

Really? Neither of those sides are even likely to get out of their groups.
It shouldn't after this long, but it still amazes me how hysterical the media becomes about the English national side.
Yeah that was my thoughts. Think they creamed themselves tonight as Costa Rica topped the so called 'group of death' last time knocking out England in the process.
In the 2 games I watched there was no attacking threat from either opposition except 2nd half from Nigeria. Come up against a France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina or even Poland in a potential last 16 and they could be in bother.

Nigeria sussed them out 2nd half and made a game of it when they matched them with the back 3, so they could be in trouble if any decent is capable of playing that system effectively. That has been Martinez's preferred formation, but we may not see Belgium going all out that match as they could be all but through.

Didn't see the Costa Rica match last night, but I caught the first goal on Twitter and thought Navas could have done a bit more.

Nigeria sussed them out 2nd half and made a game of it when they matched them with the back 3, so they could be in trouble if any decent is capable of playing that system effectively. That has been Martinez's preferred formation, but we may not see Belgium going all out that match as they could be all but through.
Didn't see the Costa Rica match last night, but I caught the first goal on Twitter and thought Navas could have done a bit more.
Navas just watched it fly past him. Looked like his feet were weighed down with concrete.
Reckon the England v Belgium game has 1-1 written all over it. Both should beat Tunisia and Panama. Belgium probably more comfortably than England as England don't have it in them to beat anyone convincingly.

Ian Wright was saying there's potential for Rashford to hit strikes like that in every game at the WC as all teams will do what CR did last night and sit back and let England dictate. :lol:

Certainly starting to ramp up a bit, two wins against dross opposition has got them BUHLEEVIN again. 

"They are a young side, playing with freedom and expression, it's hard not to get behind them" Yes it is. 

It's just part of England's natural cycle. Blitz the qualifiers, win some friendlies, build themselves up for the tournament, then fall over the moment they come up against a team at or above their own level (something they never get in qualifiers) who are not in 'playing a friendly' mode.

Semi finals at least. Then, if they get the breaks, who knows?

Not a pleasant thought.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Great story about England in France 1998 - https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

What a dick Glenn Hoddle sounds :lol: 

I'm definitely surprised to read that Hoddle has no self-awareness.

On 08/06/2018 at 10:41, ICTChris said:

Great story about England in France 1998 - https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2018/the-hod-complex-england-and-the-1998-world-cup_sto6795833/story.shtml

What a dick Glenn Hoddle sounds :lol: 

That was a terrific read.

Hoddle clearly was a total dick.  It sounds like he combined the arrogance of having been a brilliant player, with the insecurity of being a young manager.  John Collins writ larger, if you will.

In terms of being a total dick though, he clearly couldn't compete with the star of the first section, Paul Gascoigne.  Hoddle clearly got that call right.

19 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Not sure if serious.  England have no chance of the semis.  They're awful.

Yes, I was being serious mate.

I think they could well reach the last 4.

12 minutes ago, Nastro said:

Yes, I was being serious mate.

I think they could well reach the last 4.

Perfectly conceivable.

I don't think this is a great side, but they should get through their group and there's a good chance they won't face a decent side until the quarter finals.  Ordinary English  sides have come within penalty shoot outs of getting to semi-finals before.  

To say they have absolutely no chance of making an impact in this tournament is just daft.  

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Perfectly conceivable.

I don't think this is a great side, but they should get through their group and there's a good chance they won't face a decent side until the quarter finals.  Ordinary English  sides have come within penalty shoot outs of getting to semi-finals before.  

To say they have absolutely no chance of making an impact in this tournament is just daft.  

Well put. Sorta what I've been trying to get over tbh :thumsup2

Archived