Championship Play-offs

Who do you want to be in the Championship next season?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We should make a combined thread! I started a who do you want to come down vote, this is who you want to go up from league one and there was a thread already running for who would win the playoffs in this division.

So, my thinking is this...

Alloa - because of the connection they have with us in terms of personnel.

Ayr/Raith - because they would provide the best crowd/ground/challenge

Dumbarton - because they didn't seem to do all that much wrong this season, just been a bit meh.

Arbroath - purely for the lulz, you'd expect them to be the weakest team in the league and Gayfield is a nightmare stand in the winter.

In the end I voted Alloa, heart (well, ish) over head albeit it's all academic as we'll not be in this league next season.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easy enough to get to, properly old fashioned ground, the opportunity to switch-ends, tremendous chippies, some good inter-fan bantz. Plus we won the first-leg of the playoffs there, and it was an away game I used to always do with the family (and sometimes a mate too) when I was wee  - so I've got good memories associated with the place.
Arbroath seems like a relatively nice wee town as well. Although I'm not sure if that's an image I've conjured up with a mixture of sun, playoff success and battered fish.

Were a decent sized town in relative Scottish terms don’t confuse us with our diddy neighbours. [emoji6]

But aye. Even if you’re not drinking would reckon Arbroath would be a decent away day, well in the better weather anyway and of course if you liked Fish and Chips and Ice cream, which I’m sure everybody does.

For what it’s worth I don’t think we will come up, can see it being the Raith/Ayr double.

OP updated following yesterday's hilarious outcome in the League One title race.

Hilarious in what way?, Alloa drew at Raith a week after they beat Ayr, f**k knows what happened to us, hopefully game face on for Wednesday

After yesterday's limp display at Hampden I really have no idea how we will perform on Wed. Assuming we have a full squad and revert to form then it should be a good test for Dumbarton. At least it's not a rehash of the battles against Raith and Alloa, so should make for more interesting viewing. 

Over the 2 legs I think it favours Arbroath with a good away record and travelling support for Saturday.

After yesterday's limp display at Hampden I really have no idea how we will perform on Wed. Assuming we have a full squad and revert to form then it should be a good test for Dumbarton. At least it's not a rehash of the battles against Raith and Alloa, so should make for more interesting viewing. 
Over the 2 legs I think it favours Arbroath with a good away record and travelling support for Saturday.

Interesting you should stress that Arbroath will have a decent travelling support on Saturday. The championship team play at home second as that is perceived as an advantage. But I wonder if it is. Sons would take far more supporters to a game at Arbroath on a Saturday than on a Wednesday night. When you also factor in part time players travelling up to Arbroath midweek you could argue the championship side is disadvantaged. Maybe should just be an all in draw between the four teams

I think our front six players are bottom of the championship / top of the first div standard and that our hopes lie in us having our experienced and reliable defenders available. Dowie and Barr with Hill as back up please.

Interesting you should stress that Arbroath will have a decent travelling support on Saturday. The championship team play at home second as that is perceived as an advantage. But I wonder if it is. Sons would take far more supporters to a game at Arbroath on a Saturday than on a Wednesday night. When you also factor in part time players travelling up to Arbroath midweek you could argue the championship side is disadvantaged. Maybe should just be an all in draw between the four teams

To be fair all the players will be coming from the same places really.

Only Gav Swankie, Bobby Linn, Whatley, Ryan McCord, Kane Hester, Leighton McIntosh and Rab Douglas are local. Actually after typing that it’s a lot more than I had realised. [emoji23]

I've decided that I'm going to be positive this week. We should have Dowie and Dick back for Wednesday and if we can get Barr available then the defence is okay. I'd like to think the likes of Froxy and Stewart have been left out long enough now that they're fit to play, we really do need everyone available. 

We've already confortably beaten Raith Rovers this season and they're clearly the best side we will play. Of course there's a lot of work to be done but we can do it. We now have (hopefully) 4 games left, we need everyone to back the team and management and we can worry about where we go next in 2 weeks time.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I've decided that I'm going to be positive this week. We should have Dowie and Dick back for Wednesday and if we can get Barr available then the defence is okay. I'd like to think the likes of Froxy and Stewart have been left out long enough now that they're fit to play, we really do need everyone available. 

We've already confortably beaten Raith Rovers this season and they're clearly the best side we will play. Of course there's a lot of work to be done but we can do it. We now have (hopefully) 4 games left, we need everyone to back the team and management and we can worry about where we go next in 2 weeks time.

Ah, but we had Ally Roy when we did that. Without him we don't stand a chance imo 

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's not you that we need to be positive Moonster, it's the players and the team management and that's what gives me the fear.  I'm trying to convince myself that a team which has been mentally and physically crumbling for weeks and shipping goals for fun is suddenly going to be transformed into a side which believes in itself.  Despite not wishing to, I cannot  make any sort of logical case for us  getting thro these play-offs, we have too many fully injured, partially injured, suspended and lightweight players to inspire confidence.

14 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's not you that we need to be positive Moonster, it's the players and the team management and that's what gives me the fear.  I'm trying to convince myself that a team which has been mentally and physically crumbling for weeks and shipping goals for fun is suddenly going to be transformed into a side which believes in itself.  Despite not wishing to, I cannot  make any sort of logical case for us  getting thro these play-offs, we have too many fully injured, partially injured, suspended and lightweight players to inspire confidence.

Everyone needs to be positive IMO, players, fans and staff. I doubt many made a logical case for Brechin to win the lot last year but they did so. If the fans believe then it might just rub off on the players. Wishful thinking? Absolutely, but the alternative is accepting defeat now. It's not attractive.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Since when has logic come into football? Go on OKI, change the habit of a lifetime and be positive. Arbroath have just been humped by the second worst team in League one, Raith will be down after blowing winning the league and Alloa are full of players that we rejected. The play offs are there to be won

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Many Dumbarton fans going to head to the game on Wed? I felt bad for those of you that made the trip to EEP on Sat.

We've got a full supporters bus going and we have quite a few fans based on the East Coast. I'd probably expect 150-200 max.

Since when has logic come into football? Go on OKI, change the habit of a lifetime and be positive. Arbroath have just been humped by the second worst team in League one, Raith will be down after blowing winning the league and Alloa are full of players that we rejected. The play offs are there to be won
OK, blind faith it is....you'll be telling me next Ruth Tank Commander is pregnant.

Seriously, I've never wanted Sons to fail in my life but we now need to see a whole lot more by way of attitude and belief if we are to stay up. And I hope to f*** money doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Archived