Newcomer here (and new to Scottish football)

Marten

Hi all, I've joined P&B after lurking here for a wee while. I'm originally from The Netherlands and moved around a fair bit, living in England for many years and made the move north of the border last summer, I live in Dundee.

In Scotland, I'm not following a particular team (yet). Instead, I have been travelling to different grounds around the country as a groundhopper. I'm watching football at all different levels, from Celtic v Rangers last Sunday to juniors, but I enjoy lower leagues / non-league most (as I did in England & The Netherlands as well).

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Hi all, I've joined P&B after lurking here for a wee while. I'm originally from The Netherlands and moved around a fair bit, living in England for many years and made the move north of the border last summer, I live in Dundee.

In Scotland, I'm not following a particular team (yet). Instead, I have been travelling to different grounds around the country as a groundhopper. I'm watching football at all different levels, from Celtic v Rangers last Sunday to juniors, but I enjoy lower leagues / non-league most (as I did in England & The Netherlands as well).

Have you been to Morten, Marten?

6 minutes ago, Marten said:

nybh41.jpg

jpeg.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=dfa40e8

Be very wary of cheap imitations Marten. One of your local teams may have a similar strip to your homeland but comparisons end there. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

nybh41.jpg

jpeg.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=dfa40e8

Be very wary of cheap imitations Marten. One of your local teams may have a similar strip to your homeland but comparisons end there. 

Not entirely. The Dutch did fail to qualify for the World Cup after all. 

So if he wants to avoid more abject misery then the only logical course of action is to support the other professional team in Dundee Lochee Utd.

1 minute ago, The Master said:

So if he wants to avoid more abject misery then the only logical course of action is to support the other professional team in Dundee Lochee Utd.

Or Arbroath. Could be United's derby game next season. 

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

Lochee United was actually my first ground after moving, as it's my closest team. :)

Hi Marten,

You may not have realised yet, but everyone in Scotland supports either Celtic or Rangers. When discussing football and someone claims to support another side, it's customary to ask who their "big team" is. This is expected, and will help break down social boundaries across the nation during your groundhopping exploits.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Hi Marten,

You may not have realised yet, but everyone in Scotland supports either Celtic or Rangers. When discussing football and someone claims to support another side, it's customary to ask who their "big team" is. This is expected, and will help break down social boundaries across the nation during your groundhopping exploits.

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Haha, thanks, and it didn't take me long to find out that many non-OF football fans in Scotland hate that question (I never asked that myself thankfully!). But I know the feeling, as my Dutch team is a fairly small side (Excelsior Rotterdam) and any Dutch football fan who doesn't support Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV hates the question who their favourite "big team" is. It's the same issue there really, except for 3 "big teams" instead of 2.

I have been to Alloa as well. That was a very cold day early March. By now I'm just about defrosted from that trip...

47 minutes ago, Marten said:

Haha, thanks, and it didn't take me long to find out that many non-OF football fans in Scotland hate that question (I never asked that myself thankfully!). But I know the feeling, as my Dutch team is a fairly small side (Excelsior Rotterdam) and any Dutch football fan who doesn't support Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV hates the question who their favourite "big team" is. It's the same issue there really, except for 3 "big teams" instead of 2.

I have been to Alloa as well. That was a very cold day early March. By now I'm just about defrosted from that trip...

Glad to hear it's not just us with the annoying big team fans...

I swear Recreation Park has become colder since they renamed it to The Indodrill. Two pair of trousers are a necessity for any game between October and March, and not just because I have continence issues.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Marten, whatever you do, do not ever ever ever look at Clyde.

Despicable club.

Welcome to Dundee by the way.  It is a wonderful city (but full of arseholes).

Sorry, I'm planning to do the 42. ;)

Not yet been to either Morton or Dumbarton, but planning to go to both.

If you hang around the betting shops in Greenock on the week leading up to a Morten game you can find out the score without having to go to Cappielow.

Archived