Portugal Friendly 14th Oct

So the SFA have confirmed another friendly for the senior squad for next.

Thought the idea of this Nations League stuff was to cut down on uncompetitive games? By my count Mcleish will have overseen 6 friendlies by Oct.

Not really complaining here as it’s good opposition and we need the game time to work out the system before the full round of qualifiers. Just think UEFA have marketed the whole thing wrong to fans.

1 hour ago, TartanTyneArmy said:

So the SFA have confirmed another friendly for the senior squad for next.

Thought the idea of this Nations League stuff was to cut down on uncompetitive games? By my count Mcleish will have overseen 6 friendlies by Oct.

Not really complaining here as it’s good opposition and we need the game time to work out the system before the full round of qualifiers. Just think UEFA have marketed the whole thing wrong to fans.

It's a free date because we're in a three-team group, no? 

Other groups have four and so need six match days; a three still needs six with one twiddling their thumbs - or playing Portugal - each match day.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

A chance to see Ronaldo in the flesh should get a few more bums on seats.

Doubt he'll play.  And Scotland will still lose.  

All this game shows me is that the SFA still don't seem to realise that losing friendlies is never good, whereas winning them is almost always good.

UEFA Nations League has 6 allocated Matchdays, a UEFA Matchday is three days of games, (THUR/FRI/SAT or SUN/MON/TUE)

Matchday 1 -     6 - 8 Sept 2018

Matchday 2 -     9 - 11 Sept 2018

Matchday 3 -    11 - 13 Oct 2018

Matchday 4 -    14 - 16 Oct 2018

Matchday 5 -    15 - 17 Nov 2018

Matchday 6 -    18 - 20 Nov 2018

If you are in a group of 4 you get 6 competitive Nations Leagues games. Scotland are in a group of 3 so only have 4 competitive games,

Mon 10 Sept - Albania (H) - (Matchday 2)

Thur 11 Oct - Israel (A) - (Matchday 3)

Sat 17 Nov - Albania (A) - (Matchday 5)

Tue 20 Nov - Israel (H) - (Matchday 6)

The rules state we have to play games in all Matchdays hence the Belgium friendly (Matchday 1 -  Fri 7 Sept) and now the Portugal friendly (Matchday 4 - Sun 14 Oct), so wouldn't be an issue if we were in a group of 4. In League C (Scotland level there are 15 teams so 3 groups of 4 and 1 group of 3). In any of the other groups we would have no Friendlies this autumn.

At least it the Sunday and not the Monday or Tuesday night, let's hope for Sunday afternoon so folk can get home at a decent time too.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

All this game shows me is that the SFA still don't seem to realise that losing friendlies is never good, whereas winning them is almost always good.

I wondered that myself, but then he appears to play every game he's available for (going by his 149 caps)

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I wondered that myself, but then he appears to play every game he's available for (going by his 149 caps)

Going by his Transfermarkt page, he's missed the friendly match after the last 3 tournaments, albeit through injury each time. Time will tell  if he makes this one.

Portugal have a nations league game against Poland on the 11th. If the squad they name for that game will be the same one that plays Scotland 3 days later I imagine Ronaldo would be in it (barring injury as pointed out already).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DAVIDB69

Playing friendlies against better teams will only see where we need to improve. Don’t like mcleish but glad we are moving away from only the occasional friendly against diddies

21 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Playing friendlies against better teams will only see where we need to improve. Don’t like mcleish but glad we are moving away from only the occasional friendly against diddies

We need to have a mix though.  Since the end of 2016 qualifying, we've played 8 friendlies.  I'd say 2 of those fit the sort of team we want to be playing in these - Costa Rica and Hungary.  Not ones we're fully expecting to beat, but challenging games that at least a few times out of 10 we could expect to do well.  3 of the 8 were very questionable decisions - Italy, France and the Netherlands.  The latter, fair enough.  They'd fallen on hard times, and we maybe could've got some luck against them, but the Italy and France ones were really, really stupid decisions.  End of the season, no-one could be arsed, and we were essentially sparring partners getting knocked about by a champion.  

Hopefully now that friendlies are more enforced, the SFA can be a bit more proactive about getting the right opponents, rather than just picking up the munters that are left in the middle of the dance.  I mean, we're a munter ourselves, but you've got to have standards.

• 2 months later...
On 18/04/2018 at 09:42, Savage Henry said:

Spot on. The key objective from friendlies should be improving our ranking. The money we can get from a glamorous friendly opponent is as nothing compared to the money we could get from qualifying for something.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Spot on. The key objective from friendlies should be improving our ranking. The money we can get from a glamorous friendly opponent is as nothing compared to the money we could get from qualifying for something.

Nah improving the team and giving our best young players as much exposure to good quality intl players as possible should be the aim.  Don't give the slightest fk about the results.  It's brilliant for a guy like McKenna to play Belgium, Portugal, Mexico and Costa Rica etc, such a good education for him.  Will improve him much more much faster than games against Motherwell, and that will lead to us qualifying anyway.

10 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Nah improving the team and giving our best young players as much exposure to good quality intl players as possible should be the aim.  Don't give the slightest fk about the results.  It's brilliant for a guy like McKenna to play Belgium, Portugal, Mexico and Costa Rica etc, such a good education for him.  Will improve him much more much faster than games against Motherwell, and that will lead to us qualifying anyway.

Yeah, when we're tumbling down the pots thanks to choosing shite friendlies, at least McKenna can say he touched Ronaldo once.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:44, FifeArab said:

IMG_1533213843.042944.jpg

Maybe slightly off topic, but is there any reason that there has been such a delay in announcing ticketing details for the Nations League games?  I feel like these games have been scheduled for months, and here we are five weeks away.

It seems like it would have been most sensible to get the tickets released straight after the world cup, capitalising on people's increased level of interest in international football - now the clubs are back in action, I don't know if it has quite the same appeal given people's opening stance of not understanding the mechanics of the competition.

Archived