Rating your team's signings

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CaleyStan said:

2 out of those 14 signings are good for a starting place next season (Ridgers and Donaldson). Can't really remember Robbo making many decent signings in his last stint either, apart from Bingham. 

I get what you are saying but I don't think we are going to be signing many new players.  We are looking for the likes of Oakley, Austin, Calder to build on the positives they have shown this season.  :unsure: 

11 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Dundee United minus Bilel Mohsni 4/10

Bilel Mohsni - 11/10

4/10 is generous.  Lyng on his own is -20.  Mason is -30.

Can't see many Arabs having any desire to participate in this thread.  :(

Harris                           w**k

Loy                                  w**k

McGhee                       Good Guy

Welsh                            w**k

Tumilty                         w**k

Nelson                         Good Guy

Jakubiak                      Good Guy

Blair                                w**k

Longridge                    w**k

Robson                        Good Guy

Ballatoni                     Good Guy

Hazard                         w**k

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

John Baird – He's not a great finisher and he missed quite a few improtant chances but he was an improtant player for us in our run of form that pulled us out of the horrorshow start to the season we had.  The work he and Bell did in pressing from the front and making runs into channels to free up space was vital and underappreciated.  Strange stuff to see him freed

I understand he fell out with the management team.  5/10

Well I for one am shocked :o

Coll Donaldson – 9/10 – Was going to hurl myself off Arthur's Seat when I heard we signed Donaldson but happy to eat my words on the guy. Came into a pretty ropey defence and fitted in well with some rotten performances to begin with (Dumbarton away for example) but over time he's proven to be a solid replacement for Meekings. Whilst not the fastest he at least has some pace to help mop up behind Warren and he has become much better carrying the ball out of defence rather than whacking it out of play for a throw in. Last I checked when we play with Donaldson in the team the number of goals we concede halves and our win percentage trebles. Our best signing.

Mark Ridgers – 7.5/10 – As Tarmo says a cheap signing to get an above average keeper between the sticks as we looked to cut costs by punting Fon Williams and his high salary from the club. Ridgers started poorly and was eventually replaced by Fon Williams for a period before he regained his place. After this Ridgers seemed to become much more dependable and has pulled off some cracking saves especially in recent weeks. Kicking is still a bit suspect at times however for the most part he's been good enough.

George Oakley – 7/10 – I'm not his biggest fan as his first touch is more often than not poor and his second is usually a tackle or him falling over after wrestling his opponent but he does seem to be building a relatively decent partnership with Austin up front now which may leave Bell out in the cold. Has shown that he can finish chances well and can also improvise quickly to take advantage of limited opportunities for a strike (goal in the Cup v Dundee is a good example) but at the same time he can also squander easy opportunities and gives away far too many fouls when trying to win the ball. A useful foil for Robertsons tedious bad long ball style.

Connor Bell – 7/10 – Bell seems to have had a hard time of it lately. As mentioned below he formed a good partnership with Baird earlier in the season but for whatever reason he struggled to recreate that with Oakley. Often shunted around across the front line he has sometimes had to make do with being played wide right where I don't think he is particularly effective. I genuinely feel he has the potential to be a similar player to Billy Mckay for us hanging on the shoulder of the last defender but we prefer a nice bit of hoofball up to a tall forward under Robbo so Bell will likely have to settle for a place on the bench for a while yet despite his early season good form.

Nathan Austin – 6.5/10 – After the hat trick at the weekend Austin now has more goals for us than he's had injuries which is nice. As Tarmo says he has looked good when he has featured but all too often it ends with him on the floor in pain needing stretchered off. Hopefully he can knock these injuries on the head and go on to be an important player for us next season.

Riccardo Calder – 6/10 – Reasonable deputy for Tremarco when he was injured earlier in the season and when Raven wasn't deputising at left back. Defensively pretty suspect but, disagreeing with Tarmo here, I thought his crossing was reasonable when he got forward. Decent bit of pace about him as well and he can also fill in further forward. Had a good game v Dundee in the Cup a few months ago. Better than Seedorf but not a standout performer.

Charlie Trafford – 6/10 – Swings between composed Owain Tudor Jones style midfielder and lackadaisical oaf who clatters into opposition players and struggles to pass the ball more than a few yards. Not a terrible signing but very inconsistent. Another signing from some football agency that Robertson has been prone to using this season with decidedly poor results.

Joe Chalmers – 6/10 – Motherwell fans told us to "enjoy the ride" when we signed Smokin' Joe and to begin with they were right. Actually, even now they are right. When Chalmers pulled out of a challenge against Stirling Albion that was 70:30 in his favour it looked like we had signed an laborious shitebag. Even now he struggles to impose himself on games but Robertson has found more success using him on the left side of midfield tucking in to cover for Polworth and/or Vigurs when they get forward. He's weighed in with a few goals now as well for us but he's still been pretty poor overall I would say.

John Baird – 5/10 – Falkirk fans said he will work hard but not score. In a stunning turn of events Baird, erm, worked hard but didn't score goals. Paired with Bell up front the two of them formed a solid partnership during our reasonable run of form which included a solid bodying of Dundee United at Tannadice earlier in the season. Unfortunately, his tendency to miss chances saw Baird become a victim for the ICT boo boys and his time at ICT came to an end when he was alleged to have exchanged heated words with Robertson prior to the Challenge Cup semi final against Crusaders after learning he wasn't in the starting line up. He was sent off to Morton on an "emergency loan" deal until the end of the season. Out of contract and will almost certainly leave the club.

Collin Seedorf – 5/10 – Horror show against the Pars followed up by a sending off against Morton the following week saw him out of the side until December (partly due to injury). Since then he's appeared infrequently and looked okay playing as a right back or as a central midfielder. Unfortunately okay is normally as good as it gets as he tends to give away penalties and get caught out of position as the game passes him by.

Zak Elbouzedi – 1.5/10 – Probably a harsh mark as I've barely seen the guy but when he came on against Dunfermline the other week he looked completely lost. At one point he stood completely still watching the ball getting passed around him whilst other players charged all over the place trying to win it back. Prior to this he was sent to Elgin City on loan where his only contribution of note was coming on when Elgin were 1 - 0 down against Peterhead who then ran out 7 - 0 winners. Our fans seem to have a habitat of super wanking over players because they look good against Clach and Rothes in pre season friendlies and then, shockingly, they turn out to be not that good at all. Elbouzedi looks like he will be another one of those players.

Alex Cooper – 1.5/10 – A dreadful signing. Real lack of speed for someone who was played on the wing and far too slight to be played in the middle. Did manage to bag a goal whilst he was with us but it was against Brechin so that doesn't really count. Now off playing in the USA I believe.

Matty Elsdon – 1/10 – Another player who had a horror show at EEP earlier in the season. A lumbering carthorse of a defender with very little redeeming qualities. Whilst still only young at 20 when you think how good Meekings was for us at that age it doesn't exactly make you think that Elsdon is going to do much in football. The ICT rumour mill suggested he ended up in a fight with Vigurs after the game against the Pars. Sent back to Boro in January.

Felicitano Zschusschen – 0/10 – Another one of these signings who 1) looked "useful" against Clach and 2) was signed from a football agency. "Susan" turned out to be one of the worst players I have ever seen in the 20 + years I've been watching ICT and includes Dani Lopez. Disappeared from the side almost before the season had begun with his last outing being the mauling at EEP. Apparently injured for the rest of his time here but I suspect Robertson knew he had been sold a dud and he was secretly bundled up and hurled off the Kessock Bridge with bricks tied to his feet.

TL;DR? 

Donaldson - Very good.
Zschusschen, Cooper, Elsdon and Elbouzedi - Rotten.
Everyone else - Meh to good.

We've done pretty well in the signings this season. Smith has been excellent and has scored and created. He would probably be pushing for championship player of the season if it wasn't for Dobbie and Morgan, and i think he'll step up next season. 9/10

Samson is the best keeper in the league and Davis is the best defender, and Liam Smith is in the reckoning for best fullback as well. Together they've been part of one of the best defensive lines in the championship with 8 consecutive clean sheets at home. Brilliant stuff. 8/10

Reilly scored the goals that got us moving early in the season. He's led the line well, linked brilliantly with Morgan, Smith and Magennis/Flynn and even when the goals dried up a little towards the end of the season, he still contributed. He's much stronger than he looks as well and you could see defenders hated playing against him. 8/10

Flynn, Mullen, McShane and Stelios have all been in and out of the team, but have all contributed to a great season. Flynn and Mullen look best placed to kick on for next season, but they all deserve their medals 7/10.

The rest didn't get much of a chance and were mostly brought in as squad players.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

John Baird – 5/10 – Falkirk fans said he will work hard but not score. In a stunning turn of events Baird, erm, worked hard but didn't score goals. Paired with Bell up front the two of them formed a solid partnership during our reasonable run of form which included a solid bodying of Dundee United at Tannadice earlier in the season. Unfortunately, his tendency to miss chances saw Baird become a victim for the ICT boo boys and his time at ICT came to an end when he was alleged to have exchanged heated words with Robertson prior to the Challenge Cup semi final against Crusaders after learning he wasn't in the starting line up. He was sent off to Morton on an "emergency loan" deal until the end of the season. Out of contract and will almost certainly leave the club.

Rumours around Falkirk when he left was that he was on a contract which was heavily bonus related with goals and appearances, so if he is making a case for not playing at a stage of his career may sound that the rumours may have a chance of being a fact. 

On FFC players

Mitchell - 7

Jakubiak - 7

Nelson - 7

Ballatoni - 7

Robson - 6.5

McGhee - 6.5

The rest of the signings rate from 5,4,3,2 and not really worth a mention

54 minutes ago, GAD said:

We've done pretty well in the signings this season. Smith has been excellent and has scored and created. He would probably be pushing for championship player of the season if it wasn't for Dobbie and Morgan, and i think he'll step up next season. 9/10

Samson is the best keeper in the league and Davis is the best defender, and Liam Smith is in the reckoning for best fullback as well. Together they've been part of one of the best defensive lines in the championship with 8 consecutive clean sheets at home. Brilliant stuff. 8/10

Reilly scored the goals that got us moving early in the season. He's led the line well, linked brilliantly with Morgan, Smith and Magennis/Flynn and even when the goals dried up a little towards the end of the season, he still contributed. He's much stronger than he looks as well and you could see defenders hated playing against him. 8/10

Flynn, Mullen, McShane and Stelios have all been in and out of the team, but have all contributed to a great season. Flynn and Mullen look best placed to kick on for next season, but they all deserve their medals 7/10.

The rest didn't get much of a chance and were mostly brought in as squad players.

Oft, this league has fairly regressed.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Oft, this league has fairly regressed.

Have to say from what I've seen if Samson he has been very good, as for the stats, they speak for themselves 

19 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Alan Martin - It's fair to say he hasn't lived up to the hype.  He arrived looking rather out of shape and unfit and then proceeded to pick up an injury that he tried to play through.  The results weren't good.  Shown enough in glimpses that he could do a job but needs to get fit for next season 5/10

Andy Stirling - Another one who looked rather rotund upon his arrival.  He has never really looked like he has wanted to be at Queens and will probably get his wish after a series of unspectacular performances. 3/10

Callum Fordyce - He has done very well in the main putting in strong performances at CB and RB.  We were certainly weaker without him during his absence through injury. 7/10

Joe Thomson - Took a while to get going after not playing much in the first half of the season.  He is now back to his best and if it wasn't for a certain Mr Dobbie would easily be the best player in the team 8/10

Shaun Rooney - You can't help but feel there is a player in there somewhere as he has all the physical attributes.  His reading of the game is appalling though, and despite the excitement his marauding runs cause, you never feel like he knows what he is going to do at the end of them. 4/10

Dom Thomas - Another player returning for a second spell on loan and largely hitting the same heights as before. 7/10

Josh Todd - Apparently was a standout in our recent victory at Tannadice, a result that has to go down as one of our best of the season.  He's been completely anonymous in the games I have seen though. 3/10

Jason Kerr - Formed an excellent partnership with Fordyce and chipped in with a number of goals as well.  I'd be keen for him to return next season as it sounds like he's not quite ready for the step up to the Premiership 7/10

Kyle Cameron - We will be in the market for at least one CB in the summer.  Cameron won't be one of them 4/10

Curtis Lyle - Signed as backup and unlikely to play N/A

Chris Kane - Started slowly but by the end was striking up an excellent partnership with Dobbie.  Really disappointing to see him recalled by St Johnstone where he has already established himself 8/10

Myles Beerman - Hasn't featured much but hasn't really made a case to when he has.  Very lightweight. 1/10

James McFadden - Many feared his legs had gone.  They were right. 3/10

Nikolay Todorov - Scored one crucial goal from the bench but has looked pretty meh aside from that.  I doubt we'll be in a rush to make his signing permanent. 6/10

Kerr has been outstanding at St Johnstone like he was for us. Very surprised Kane got a higher rating. Agree with most other ratings though although I think Todorov gets a higher mark than deserved. Also Cameron must rank as one of our worst players in recent times so a 4 seems generous too.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Nope

Nope, Alexander

Nope, Halkett

Robert Thomson - I've spent much of this season defending Thomson while other fans had already made their minds up, but at this point in the season you have to conclude that it just isn't going to work out. I was really impressed with him at Brechin & Dumbarton and was happy when we got him on a pre-contract, but it's not happened for him at all.

My defence of him was often based on the idea that we weren't using him correctly. Whether we played him on the left or at centre forward we were treating him as a target man because he's tall and our manager is Jim Duffy when that just isn't his game and we should be giving him the ball to his feet like a conventional winger, which from what I saw is how Dumbarton used him in his excellent second half of last season. However he's now at the point where he can't do anything right with the ball at his feet either and his performance against Dumbarton last week was genuinely laughable. Whether it's due to being devoid of confidence or just not cut out for full time football I don't know, but either way he should be out the door in the summer. Of course, he got a two year deal so there's little chance of that. 4/10

Bob McHugh - Another signing I was happy with. While I didn't see him as being good enough to start every week for a playoff challenging team, when you looked at our attacking options last season then a solid if unspectacular Championship centre forward was an obvious upgrade as cover on duds like Oyenuga or Shankland. He has made a positive contribution as an impact sub occasionally, but as a starter he just isn't good enough.

Maybe it's just how Morton play, but he's a penalty box centre forward and we need our centre forward to contribute outside the box. He's completely incapable of doing that, and clearly Duffy made him some kind of promise of first team football as he keeps returning him to the starting eleven to the detriment of the team. Bearing in mind that he doesn't offer anything else his goalscoring record is unacceptable. He's another player who should be punted in the summer but got a two year deal so will be going nowhere. 4/10

Darren Barr - It's maybe unfair to judge Barr as a player because he was primarily brought in as a youth coach who just happened to be registered as a player as a well to cover for emergencies, but he played four times and he was a disaster area in every appearance. Absolutely finished as a player at this level, and he even got roasted by Queen's Park in the League Cup so that doesn't say much for him at lower levels either. 0/10

Gary Harkins - A signing people were unhappy with due to his time with Ayr last season, and there was even more concern as it became clear at the start of the season that Duffy planned to use him as a deep lying midfielder. He's been our player of the season by a fucking mile. Sometimes his lack of mobility and defensive presence does contribute to the midfield being overrun, but that's the only negative. With the ball at his feet he's been outstanding and his vision and reading of the game is excellent. At 33 he's not going to be moving back to the top flight so I'm confident of keeping him, but if he does leave it's a worrying sign for next season. 9/10

Connor McManus - A player who never got a chance really. He was brought in as a holding midfielder but found himself playing at centre back alongside Barr in the League Cup. In his few appearances in midfield he looked competent without looking particularly good, then he was released in December with Duffy claiming we were 'over-saturated' in midfield, when Murdoch was the only other defensive midfielder at the club. Hard to escape the conclusion that Duffy meant that as code for 'I don't think he's good enough', particularly when we signed midfielders again later in the season. 4/10

Jack Iredale - Sent on loan to Queen's Park after two appearances, this seemed to be a bit of a bizarre signing. Why use some of the first team budget on a player who was only going to be sent on loan immediately anyway? Was Iredale going to be this season's Romario Sabajo, Caolan McAleer, Jordan Allan type signing which made no sense at the time only to be released in January anyway? He returned from his loan and was brought into the first team at left back, which surprised everyone since he was signed as a centre back. He was fantastic and his performances were integral to going on a run of six wins in seven games. After our form has collapsed, he's been one of the few still playing well. He's only 21 as well so hopefully we're going to see him develop further over the next few years, although we do need to acknowledge that he's only played 12 games so he maybe won't maintain this. 7/10

Ross Doohan - Goalkeeper signed on loan from Celtic for the season, returned in January without playing a minute. A waste of a loan signing. 0/10

Conor Brennan - Brought in as second choice goalkeeper after Doohan returned to Celtic. He's only played three games but he's been fine in all of them. 6/10

Luca Gasparotto - Returned on loan in January to provide more cover in defence. He's been fine, but he's been nowhere near as good as he was in his first spell at the club and if he's here next season it's going to be as cover. 6/10

Frank Ross - This is awkward to rate as his performances merit the signing being rated highly, but Duffy's use of him could arguably knock a few points off through no fault of the player. Frank Ross signed, came into the team then we immediately went on a run of six wins in seven with him starting every week. Obviously that's not entirely down to one player, but he was playing well for all of them. Then Duffy dropped him and we've only won two in ten. That's not a coincidence. It is worth pointing out that when Ross has came back into the starting eleven in games such as Livingston away he didn't play as well as when he initially arrived, but the loss of the natural width he offers has completely fucked the balance of the team.

Our record since Ross signed is P17 W8 D4 L5. With him in the starting eleven it's P11 W7 D3 L1, without him starting it's P6 W1 D1 L4. The one defeat with him was against Celtic, the one win without him was against Brechin. Frank Ross deserves a rating of 9/10, Jim Duffy's use of Frank Ross deserves a rating of 0/10.

John Baird - You could look at the stats alone and say 3 goals in 7 games (6 starts) in the league is a good return for any centre forward; for comparison, McHugh has 4 in 31 (18 starts). Much like with McHugh at the start of the season, I looked at Baird in comparison to last season and thought he isn't great, but at least he's not Lawrence Shankland. In reality, John Baird is the anti-Frank Ross.

I've mentioned that run of six wins from seven followed by two wins from ten often, because those runs are what our season hinged on. The good run ended with the last game before Baird signed, the bad one started on John Baird's debut. This is not a coincidence. He has taken his goals well, but two of them were against Brechin. He is the epitome of a Jim Duffy player - he runs around a lot and tries hard, but has f**k all about him. His contribution outside the box is no better than McHugh. He's nowhere near good enough, but as he's exactly the type of player Duffy loves he starts most games and shoehorning him in has seen the return of the disastrous 4-3-3, at the expense of Frank Ross. If Duffy remains in charge for next season it is a cast iron certainty that we're going to sign this diddy, probably on yet another two year deal. Escaping the horror of watching him in a Morton top again is one of the biggest arguments in favour of sacking Duffy. 3/10

Gary Fraser - He clearly isn't match fit and has only had two starts so it's hard to judge him. On his first start against Brechin he was misplacing passes throughout and looked seriously off the pace, but he was alright against Dumbarton and took his goal well. Meh. N/A

19 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I shudder to think how bad Zschusschen must have looked as Seedorf produced one of the worst performances I've ever seen at EEP.

Complete and utter shite. At least Lopez scored some goals for us. Zschusschen was our version of Ali Dia.

Scott Robinson: Disappointed he hasn't had more of a run in the team, any time he seems to build up a bit of form he picks up a wee niggling injury and he's out for a few weeks. Has popped up with some incredibly important goals, away to Falkirk, away to ICT and most recently a topper at home to United. Wouldn't be surprised if his goals per minute ratio is the best at the club at the moment - 7.5/10.

Jack McMillan: Wasn't sure if he'd disappeared into oblivion after our last home game against Brechin a few months ago, was glad when he signed permanently as he offers us a bit more defensive stability down the right. Not a starter yet, but I imagine he'll get a good shot at it next season if we're in the Championship. Would rate him higher but he's been in and out of the team - 6.5/10.

Ross Brown: Injured for months then couldn't get in the team before being shipped out to Airdrie. Can't comment on how good he is because nobody ever seen him play. Sorry, Ross, but - 1/10.

Josh Peters: Unlike Brown, I did actually see Peters play a few times - looked like a bit of a handful, albeit a bit raw. No surprise he was loaned to Forfar, never to be seen again - 1/10.

Nikolay Todorov: I still maintain that one of our finest individual performances this season came from the big Bulgarian at home to United last October. 70 minutes at centre-half keeping what is, on paper at least, a very decent unit of attacking players quiet alongside Halkett and Lithgow, before moving up front and clinching the win with a decent finish. Was sorry to see the back of him, seemed like one of the good guys but was never going to be starting for us realistically. I couldn't even bring myself to be raging when he scored for Queens against us a few weeks ago. Nikolay, we'll meet again - 7/10.

Neil Alexander: As soon as I read that he was leaving Aberdeen, I knew he would end up with us. Couldn't see him ending up at any of the top flight clubs, and wrapping things up with ourselves made perfect sense for the man. Pulled off a worldie against Kilmarnock in pre-season on his debut, and he's been pretty consistent ever since. Played his part in a complete cock-up against Dunfermline last year, pinging the ball off Jackson Longridge for one of those comical own goals I've yet to see us benefit from. The downside of having a 40 year-old in goals is that he isn't the most agile at times, but some of his saves have been phenomenal: see his saves against Dunfermline and St Mirren recently. Would love to see him stay for one more year, and it's looking likely - 10/10.

James Penrice: I'll be gutted for the boy if he's relegated with Thistle. Played out of his skin for us and was an absolute star wide left and in central midfield, and we've not really replaced him, particularly in the former. I believe he's out of contract in the summer, and I'd love to see him back here. If I'm reading correctly, he's only made two appearances for Thistle in the league since he's went back - that can't be right? A good talent and a local lad to boot; if we go up (somehow), he'll have more than played his part in setting us on our way in the first half of the season - 9/10.

Dylan Mackin: Utterly marmite. Not shocked that he's still our joint top scorer now, with three league games to go, even though he left in January; seems to have an uncanny knack for getting goals but IMO his lack of mobility prevents him from being a genuine option starting in this system Hopkin is using. Only 1 goal in the league for us against FT clubs is a worry though; if we stay in this division, I'd be hoping we could get someone a bit more mobile in - 6/10.

Joe Thomson: Was excited with this one, given the rave reviews he was getting from Queens fans. Looked a baller for 15 minutes on his debut against St Mirren, tried a Hollywood ball which failed miserably and wasn't in the game thereafter. 10 minutes cameo in a Challenge Cup game against Morton before slinking back off to Celtic after he didn't make the starting lineup vs TNS. Naturally, he scored at Palmerston against us, which I'm sure is a great consolation to him - 1/10.

Jordan Thompson: Nothing spectacular, can keep things ticking over in midfield but doesn't provide the same energy or intensity that Pittman, Byrne, Jacobs or Robinson can. Put in an outstanding shift away to Falkirk down the left and put in a magic cross for Hardie to head in, apart from that he's not really done much of note. I'd be hoping we could sign up someone with a bit more about them come the summer - 6/10.

Lee Miller: Yes, I was definitely very skeptical about this one given the noises Falkirk fans were making. A player who you hate playing against, given his infuriating clever knack of drawing free kicks. How wrong was I? Has provided an excellent foil for Hardie since January and his overhead kick against St Mirren was a terrific finish. Glad he's signed up for next season as his experience will be a good asset either way - 8/10.

Gregor Buchanan: Has provided some much-needed cover at CB and hasn't really put a foot wrong so far in his limited game time. Looked shaky down at Palmerston and it was no surprise he was hooked at half time; if, as expected, Halkett leaves this summer I'd be more than happy with him coming into the team - 6.5/10.

Steven Boyd: Similar excitement to Joe Thomson, with almost the same net effect; a few appearances, marked with possibly the worst pass completion rate in the club's history, and that's about it. If he learned when to pass the ball instead of running with it all the time, he'd probably be a decent player at this level. No surprise he's off early - 1/10.

Adam Frizzell: Early days yet, and hopefully not a hat-trick in the "exciting Scottish youngster hyped by former club's fans" category. Hopefully gives us something extra in the play-offs, looks a very skilful player and would be good if he could get a bit of form in the next three games - 4/10.

Ryan Hardie: Let's be honest - a club the size and budget of Livingston shouldn't have a player like this starting for them every game. A few fans started (jokingly, I think) suggesting we should go for him not long after Danny Mullen left for St Mirren; I was stunned that we'd actually pulled it off, and we haven't regretted it. His debut goal showed exactly what we'd been missing up until that point; even though it was a cock-up on Dumbarton's part, the awareness of an actual striker was plain for everyone to see. The thumping header away to Falkirk was a stunner; his volley against St Mirren was a tremendous finish, and would've been goal of the day had Lee Miller not produced that overhead kick; his injury time winner against United was a fucking raker. Then, cult status was totally assured when he flew back from playing with Scotland U21s the night before, to come off the bench against Queen of the South and finish off a lovely team move. His lob against Dumbarton was pure class and he is by far and away the most complete forward player we've had since we were in the SPL. There's not a hope in hell of us hanging on to him, but regardless of what happens between now and the end of May, he'll definitely have cult hero status at the club. Hopefully he can incite #scenes a few more times before he departs - ∞/10.

Overall, some decent business from us, especially trading Mullen for Hardie and Miller essentially. Can't blame Hopkin for Brown or Peters, two cheap punts who we would've been raving about if they had turned out like Scott Pittman and Josh Mullin, for example. Boyd will have been a major disappointment for him personally, given he'd been wanting him for the best part of 18 months, but other than that, he's got to be happy.

3 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

How could Mitchell be anything more than 1. He played 2 games and got injured for the season.

He has done more in them two games than some have done in 20+

Alan Martin - a big disappointment. Not sure if the injuries were totally to blame for his lack of movement but even in the pre- injury games he looked wooden.Hopefully he can do better next season.

Shaun Rooney - in terms of raw ability and athleticism he should be one of first names on teamsheet. Unfortunately , his lack of footballing intelligence cancels out his talent. Needs a good coach to talk him through the basics and completely eradicate the dreadful defending that he delivers not to mention the needless fouls that he commits in dangerous positions.

Callum Fordyce - has generally been ok. Can slot in at RB which is a bonus. Has to take his share of responsibility for our dreadful goals against column

Jason Kerr - carried our defence and was a huge miss when he returned to Saints. Carries a big threat in opposition box. A very good loan signing.

Kyle Cameron - looks pretty ineffectual. Played well away at St Mirren but apart from that has struggled. The fact that he cannot oust either Fordyce or Brownlie when they have been conceding goals for fun is not a good sign.

Myles Beerman - I thought he looked neat and tidy in midfield on the rare occasions that he played. He actually tried to keep hold of the ball and for that reason was probably never destined to fit in.

Joe Thomson - a very enthusiastic player who gives his all. Struggles when he has to dictate play from midfield because his passing is limited. When pushed into advanced positions he is at his best - has great shot and can get ahead of ball which is a bonus. Decent player who scores goals.

Andy Stirling - was a good signing. Has pace, two good feet, can beat players both ways but despite these positives was constantly overlooked in favour of Connor Murray and/or James McFadden.???? Being an understudy to Faddy in his heyday was nothing to be ashamed off but not the Faddy that we saw. I will leave it at that.

James McFadden - see above

Dom Thomas - hugely talented player but by wanting to play wide right when he is "all left foot" limits his effectiveness. Certainly good enough to grace Palmerston but he should be playing Premier football.

Chris Kane - should have been playing for us every week but used sparingly initially. GN would have to explain the rationale. Manager seemed shocked when he was recalled but his reluctance to use him didn't help.Since returning to Saints he has done very well and scored goals.Quick and great work ethic.

Josh Todd - played very well at Tannadice but has been ineffective in almost every other game. I do think he is decent though but needs to start proving it.Manager must rate him or he would be getting the Andy Stirling treatment.

Todorov - a big honest guy who works hard for team but looks limited

Archived