Cove v Spartans / Spartans v Cove

47 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Based on the fact that I’ve seen them a few times this season. 

I think how Cove fair up against Spartans will be a more fair assessment against a team who have also won their respective league. 

There are only one or two decent teams in the Highland League and the same for the Lowland 

Time will tell but I must admit would prefer Spartans but it could be all hype with Cove as it was with EK last season 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to base much on league campaigns - did Cove romp HL as they're streaks ahead of anyone else in non-league football, as or the competition wasn't there? Similarly, did Spartans go to wire in LL as it's more competitive, or as they aren't as good? - afterall they only took 6pts off the rest of the top 3, but only dropped 2pts v everyone else.

All these playoffs have been tight bar Cove-EC.

17 hours ago, big al said:

Hard to believe it’s at this stage, but this is a possibility.

There are also only 3 games between a Cowden Kelty derby. 

As CC mentioned, Kelty have to win tomorrow against a team they cannot seem to beat (surely they will eventually) even though LTHV are knackered playing every other day to catch up with outstanding fixtures. They would then have to beat Threave in a play off (which I think they would). Then of course, we have to lose our play off.

Although, I think the EoS and Lowland leagues are likely to change in size very soon.

N

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's hard to base much on league campaigns - did Cove romp HL as they're streaks ahead of anyone else in non-league football, as or the competition wasn't there? Similarly, did Spartans go to wire in LL as it's more competitive, or as they aren't as good? - afterall they only took 6pts off the rest of the top 3, but only dropped 2pts v everyone else.

The Scottish Cup is a better guide . Cove beat Airdrie away and lost 3-1 to Falkirk in the fifth round. Spartans didn't impress, but neither did we. However, our team now is improved on what we had then.

They only took three points off the others HJ

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

The 4 wins they have managed all season tell you this?

We were a poor team earlier in the season. We are much better now. We need the likes of Malcolm, Gilfillan, Sheerin and Swann to play as well as they have recently. We also need some of our inconsistent players to be switched on for the two play off games. If this happens, I think we will be unlucky to lose. However, I don't doubt that Cove and Spartans will give it a real go and could easily replace us in the league. I would have Cove as favourites to beat Spartans, but I get the impression they may be a bit jaded and carrying a few injuries.

9 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Cove 4 Spartans 0 FT

Barring a very unlikely Cove collapse it looks like we travel north next Saturday. It'll be difficult to get any sort of result up there, no doubt.

Ominous result for Cowden. Brora looked a tough and organised side when they beat us in the cup, who wouldn't look out of place at all in L2, and they were well off the pace in the HL. Gut feeling is, Cowden are going down.

Archived