Cove v Spartans / Spartans v Cove

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:53, Frank Grimes said:

Hope they do

Bit of a minter that there’s only 1 Aberdeen based team in the league system tbh 

No a team called "Rangers" though, would rather Locos or Banks o'Dee came up instead of the "Rangers"

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2018 at 14:22, The_Judge said:

Suffice it to say that if Cove don't go all the way we'll have to suffer another round of "..they lost on purpose because they don't want to leave the HL" :thumbsdown

I don't think applies to Cove. They want to get into the league proper and have done for a long time. AFAIK

Having seen the playoff Semi-Final delayed then pressed up against the Final to accommodate their outstanding fixtures... the Cove manager now seems unhappy at having been made to play those games during the intervening period, and at Spartans not being made to contest both the playoffs and Lowland League Cup at the same time:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/cove-finish-with-defeat-but-key-men-poised-for-play-off-return/

Sheran said: “The important thing from our point of view was just to get the game played.

“I don’t think we should have been playing, I think the Highland League should have helped us out with fixtures.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/sheran-to-rest-players-with-play-offs-in-mind/

“We have to rest players,” he said.

“We can’t play too many boys with the game on Saturday against Spartans.

“The Lowland League have different regulations to us which I think means they can cancel games, but we can’t.

“We’ll field a Cove team and get through the game.

“It has been a wee bit strange having these games to complete after winning the league ahead of the play-offs.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-inverness-highlands-and-islands/20180424/282604558451216

Cove Rangers manager John Sheran is frustrated his team will be in action while Lowland League rivals Spartans have the freedom to rest ahead of Saturday's SPFL play-off Semi-Final.
"We're just disappointed that we are being made to play the games at all when the Lowland League seem to allow their games to cancel games.

"The Highland League won't do anything to help us, so I'm disappointed in that.

"Spartans pulled out of their Lowland League Cup tie on Saturday, apparently they can do whatever they want.

"They seem to have a law down there which allows them to do it and there's obviously a difference in the rules of the Highland and Lowland leagues which is very strange.

(With regards to the Lowland League Cup: it's played at the same time as the playoffs with the champion able to withdraw or enter their U20s. Spartans, like Edinburgh City 2yrs ago, withdrew; EK last year used their U20s. LL finished ontime 2 Saturdays ago - Spartans completed all 30 league games).

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having seen the playoff Semi-Final delayed then pressed up against the Final to accommodate their outstanding fixtures... the Cove manager now seems unhappy at having been made to play those games during the intervening period, and at Spartans not being made to contest both the playoffs and Lowland League Cup at the same time:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/cove-finish-with-defeat-but-key-men-poised-for-play-off-return/

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/sheran-to-rest-players-with-play-offs-in-mind/

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-inverness-highlands-and-islands/20180424/282604558451216

(With regards to the Lowland League Cup: it's played at the same time as the playoffs with the champion able to withdraw or enter their U20s. Spartans, like Edinburgh City 2yrs ago, withdrew; EK last year used their U20s. LL finished ontime 2 Saturdays ago - Spartans completed all 30 league games).

Get your excuses in early.... 

7 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I wouldn't think it really matters who wins this tie between  Cove and Spartans, as Cowdenbeath have more than enough to see off either of them  in the final  IMHO!

I'd agree they'll beat Spartans but think CR (if they really meant business) would give them a real fright and possibly be favourites.

I'm hoping for a non-league winner, whoever makes the final.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'd agree they'll beat Spartans but think CR (if they really meant business) would give them a real fright and possibly be favourites.

I'm hoping for a non-league winner, whoever makes the final.

Cowden won’t beat Cove if that’s who they’ll play. Cove could easily survive in Lg2. Worrying times for Cowden fans.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How do they decided who is home/away first?

Presumably a random draw, though this year with the HL club wanting the fixtures changed Spartans might have been given the home second leg. SPFL club 42 is always at home in the final game though.

I agree with ‘Tenkay’ . Cowdenbeath is a better side than it was at this time last year. The team have more pace and strength this time round so I feel Cowden’ will stay up .

Their points total would suggest otherwise. Cowdenbeath are utterly rancid and if Spartans or cove can’t beat them we would be as well chucking the pyramid.

6 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Cowden won’t beat Cove if that’s who they’ll play. Cove could easily survive in Lg2. Worrying times for Cowden fans.

That's why Saturday is important. Not so much the result, but it might be our last ever league match.

7 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Based on what the fact they have romped The Highland League? 

Whilst I wouldn't underestimate Cove Rangers given their strong season but I don't know how we can assume they would easily survive in League 2. The Highland League in my opinion lacks quality if teams are winning each week by a large margin and last year's winners Buckie finishing 7th. 

Fed up hearing if it's Cove we are down it was the same last year with the paper talk of EK and their fantastic record and in all fairness to them they took us all the way and have humiliated us in the Scottish Cup albeit only 1 0

It will come down again who wants it more and will really need 100% for the two legs. 

Got to be optimistic it's a cup final and anything can happen 

Confident we can do it if Bollan can get the best out of them in 100% application over the two legs yet extremely nervous at the same time. We have to stay in this league to give ourselves a better chance to help secure the club in my opinion 

1 hour ago, PELE said:

That's why Saturday is important. Not so much the result, but it might be our last ever league match.

Hard to believe it’s at this stage, but this is a possibility.

There are also only 3 games between a Cowden Kelty derby. 

2 hours ago, Cowden316 said:

Based on what the fact they have romped The Highland League? 

Whilst I wouldn't underestimate Cove Rangers given their strong season but I don't know how we can assume they would easily survive in League 2. The Highland League in my opinion lacks quality if teams are winning each week by a large margin and last year's winners Buckie finishing 7th. 

Fed up hearing if it's Cove we are down it was the same last year with the paper talk of EK and their fantastic record and in all fairness to them they took us all the way and have humiliated us in the Scottish Cup albeit only 1 0

It will come down again who wants it more and will really need 100% for the two legs. 

Got to be optimistic it's a cup final and anything can happen 

Confident we can do it if Bollan can get the best out of them in 100% application over the two legs yet extremely nervous at the same time. We have to stay in this league to give ourselves a better chance to help secure the club in my opinion 

Based on the fact that I’ve seen them a few times this season. 

Archived