Motherwell vs Celtic V - Scottish Cup Final

MP_MFC

Three things that I'd like to see our club do, well in advance, of the Final against these horrible, tinky b*****ds...

...make a real and concerted effort to get the SFA to give us the East Stand, considering that its logistically the correct thing to do

...consistently remind the media between now and the final, of Celtics infamous history of theatrics and gamesmanship

...ensure that the spotlight is shone on whichever referee is handed the match, and make it known that we expect the game to be officiated in an even-handed manner.

As for the game, Motherwell will need to turn up and hope Celtic have a real off day

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Three things that I'd like to see our club do, well in advance, of the Final against these horrible, tinky b*****ds...

...make a real and concerted effort to get the SFA to give us the East Stand, considering that its logistically the correct thing to do

...consistently remind the media between now and the final, of Celtics infamous history of theatrics and gamesmanship

...ensure that the spotlight is shone on whichever referee is handed the match, and make it known that we expect the game to be officiated in an even-handed matter.

As for the game, Motherwell will need to turn up and hope Celtic have a real off day

Respectfully disagree. It would be like someone busking with an acoustic guitar trying to be heard standing next to Slayer - we simply don't have the amplification.

The way the media works here means that if we do any of the stuff you mention, it'll get a wee article to start off with - but once Celtic get a chance to respond, their answer will be plastered everywhere and they'll basically drown us out. Celtic use the (totally compliant) press really well - they are masters of it in fact and we'd be picking a fight that we couldn't win.

On the East Stand stuff - it does make *total* logistical sense for Motherwell supporters to use Kings Park station and come off the M74 and have the easy way into Hampden - and no club should have their own end - but it would again be energy spent where we've got no chance of success. Us diddy club supporters love a grievance - but we're fucking amateurs when compared to the Celtic backwoodsmen. Imagine the manufactured shitstorm if we tried to take away "their" end - the press would have Jock Stein's family in the papers saying it was a disgrace, they'd have an endless parade of ex-player talking heads, there would be poorly spelled banners in shite fonts, etc, etc

I'm not trying to be defeatist - my view is that we keep the build up low-key, get all this extraneous nonsense to f**k and concentrate our efforts in setting about Celtic for 90 mins and see where it gets us.

Motherwell should definitely get the 'Motherwell End' (East Stand). It might be to their advantage but it would definitely wind up the Celtic mutants, which would of course be fantastic.

Anyway, I, like, the vast majority of fans who don't support Celtic, want Motherwell to win. So please win lads.

Can only hope for a strong ref for this one.

We’re due something against these c***s but I can’t allow myself to get excited about winning it just yet.

We’ll need to be at our very best and sellick will need to have a very bad day at the office.

Please do the business Motherwell.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Swello said:

TBH I've never got these "you were shite but we were shiter" type of post match arguments. If a team through their own defensive inadequacies gifts a 2 goal lead, of course it effects the course of the game. After 20 odd minutes on Saturday, 'Well had no reason to put in a vintage attacking performance - we were already in a strong winning position and it was up to Aberdeen to do something about it and it was a "simple" case of winning the individual battles. 

In both semi finals - it was a competent team versus a shambles - neither Motherwell or Celtic needed to be "great" to win emphatically and the final will be totally different as (from a 'Well point of view), we won't be getting any presents this time.

I agree with this completely.

1 hour ago, mjw said:

Absolutely no one is looking for anything from you.
I'll not be taking any advice on how to act on a site from someone who was probably here before under a different guise either.

I can promise you that I've only ever been here under the name I use just now.

Well done again for Saturday, and good luck in the final :thumsup2

20 hours ago, MJC said:

It's going to be very tough especially if Celtic play anywhere near the level they are capable of but if you want to be successful then you need to beat the best teams. As long as we have everyone fit and get right in about them then the game will take care of itself. I am absolutely confident that we have what it takes to at the very least give Celtic a much better game than Rangers did today.

We have had two Cup Finals against Celtic so far in this decade, both games were comfortable Celtic wins and we never laid a glove on them. That cannot be allowed to happen for a third time next month.

I'll settle for a late 1-0 win with a Main penalty after we've frustrated the f**k out of them.

I wonder what our ticket allocation will be for this one.

Really

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

I can see Motherwell causing the Celtic defence problems. Every combination at centre half for Celtic is susceptible to being bullied. If Motherwell get their approach right there then they will force errors. It then all depends on how they handle things at the other end of the park.

Can't argue with that.  We do have the players to cause Celtic, particularly the two centre-backs, problems, however we need to actually get the ball first.

It will be a big ask, but this Motherwell side have shown they've got fight in them.  If we get the first goal and have something to hold onto, who knows?  I can't see us getting anything if Celtic get ahead though.

26 minutes ago, Desp said:

t will be a big ask, but this Motherwell side have shown they've got fight in them.  If we get the first goal and have something to hold onto, who knows?  I can't see us getting anything if Celtic get ahead though.

Scoring first will be the key here. The League Cup Final was fairly even until the first goal and after that we were done. We have the bottle and the belief to do this, we just need to get right in about them and frustrate them. Yes they need to have an off day for us to win but that can happen.

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

Scoring first will be the key here. The League Cup Final was fairly even until the first goal and after that we were done. We have the bottle and the belief to do this, we just need to get right in about them and frustrate them. Yes they need to have an off day for us to win but that can happen.

Depends on what bus driver turns up.

Celtic haven't lost a Scottish Cup Final in 16 years.  They haven't lost a Scottish Cup Final to a team outside of Glasgow since 1990.

Therefore, it's about time they fucked one up. 

Big Kipré with a 94th minute winner before getting sent off for getting naked in the centre circle.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Motherwell should definitely get the 'Motherwell End' (East Stand). It might be to their advantage but it would definitely wind up the Celtic mutants, which would of course be fantastic.

Anyway, I, like, the vast majority of fans who don't support Celtic, want Motherwell to win. So please win lads.

Surely everyone who doesn't support Celtic wants Motherwell to win?

4 hours ago, MJC said:

When they scored the first goal we upped the intensity and created a few chances and had a penalty appeal, then the referee stepped in.

Very much looking forward to the meltdown by Celtic fans, who don't actually go to games, when we demand an 18,000 allocation. 

“Motherwell have revealed they will not ask for a 50-50 split of the ticket allocation for this season’s Scottish Cup final. The Fir Park outfit will face Celtic at Hampden Park on 19 May after both teams booked their places with semi-final victories over the weekend. Motherwell beat Aberdeen 3-0 in Saturday’s lunchtime match, while Celtic brushed aside rivals Rangers with a 4-0 victory yesterday.

Now, instead of demanding an equal share of tickets for the showpiece match, Motherwell will request around 13,500 tickets as they wish the encounter to be a 52,000 sell-out.

Controversy surrounded the allocation of tickets for last season’s final between Celtic and Aberdeen when the Dons demanded an equal share. Due to the dimensions of Hampden and the Parkhead club traditionally taking the East Stand, that meant the Ladbrokes Premiership champions ended up with 700 fewer tickets than the Dons. A statement was released on the Celtic website, saying they were “very disappointed” with the situation, which then drew a response from the SFA defending the situation.
There was similar rancour earlier this campaign when Celtic hit out at Hibs after the Easter Road club failed to sell around 10,000 tickets for the clubs’ semi-final meeting in the Betfred Cup. Brendan Rodgers’ men advanced to the final for the second year in succession yesterday with goals from Tom Rogic, Callum McGregor, Moussa Dembele and Olivier Ntcham. Rangers had Ross McCrorie sent off for a professional foul.

On Saturday, Motherwell’s Curtis Main, with two, and Ryan Bowman scored as the Steelmen upset Derek McInnes’ Aberdeen. The showdown next month will be a repeat of the 2011 Scottish Cup final, which Celtic won 3-0.”

Thank f**k we can put the grievance FC fans 50/50 ticket split arguments to bed.
The last time we had that was in 91. It does mean though that every Celtic fan who went to their quarterfinal with Morton will get a ticket. Their glory hunters will have to scramble for the rest.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

When they scored the first goal we upped the intensity and created a few chances and had a penalty appeal, then the referee stepped in.

I don't think we are suited to chasing a game and if we are to win the Cup we will need to score first, that is essential imo. Against a side with Celtic's undoubted quality, our best bet will be to play a robust and harrying style, similar to Saturday where I thought the midfield five superbly protected the backline. As I've said throughout the season, Kipre at the back has a major error in him especially against sides who can play fast football on the deck like Aberdeen are capable of but we greatly restricted them doing on Saturday, and Celtic definitely are with a much higher quality of player. 

If we keep them out for the first hour and get ourselves infront anytime from 75 minutes on then I'm confident we can win it. 

Thank f**k we can put the grievance FC fans 50/50 ticket split arguments to bed.
The last time we had that was in 91. It does mean though that every Celtic fan who went to their quarterfinal with Morton will get a ticket. Their glory hunters will have to scramble for the rest.

I must admit I love the glory hunters chat from Celtic supporters and moaning about ticket allocation.

Is this the same set of fans who gloriously claim that about 3.5m (slight exaggeration however grows every year) fans went to Seville..... no glory hunters in that mob obviously.

What they don’t appreciate is this is Motherwells Seville/Lisbon/Manchester.

My group of mates used to have 8 season tickets for the East Stand at Fir Park, however due to work, family’s, emigration, apathy, this has dropped to 3 season books. 5 of us went to the semi but all eight, plus their kids are going to the Final. Not glory hunters just fans whose excitement levels have increased due to reaching the Cup Final. This is the norm for Celtic fans, for us it bloody isn’t.

I’m hoping that this could spark the rest of my mates to get their season books back and maybe even add their kids to the mix.

12 hours ago, HAMLISCH said:

You mean a ref that lets you away with fouling all over the pitch?  Motherwell have done tremendously well to reach their second final of the season but don't let the first one fool you this is going to be a stroll.  2-0 if you take it on the chin or 4/5 if you get stroppy.  Sorry.

Whatever the outcome, it’s highly likely we’ll give them a better game than your mobs hilarious effort on Sunday :lol: 

Archived