Motherwell vs Celtic V - Scottish Cup Final

MP_MFC

A desperately disappointing game in the end. I've not watched it back at all and I probably wont.

We didn't turn up at all in the first half and only seemed to play in the usual style once the game was pretty much gone.

Seeing busses of Celtic fans leaving from Wishaw, Newmains, Carluke etc en route is disheartening. 

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt we needed the Motherwell players to play their best for 90 minutes, and for us to have some luck, to have a chance of victory. Sadly neither happened. 

McGregor's goal was absolutely world class, however if you gave him that chance another 100 times, he'd be doing well to score another once. The second goal, which I was right behind, was being saved IMO until a deflection from Kipré.  In the second half, Gordon pulled off a good save from Main, Bigi hit the bar and Frear was inches away from getting on the end of Cadden's header. 

Fine margins I guess, but overall no complaints. Celtic done enough to win the game so congratulations to them for winning another treble. 

Maybe one day... 

I don’t like it but I much prefer being beaten by two good goals rather than by a referee’s decision.

Only irritation was that I thought the tug on Cadden was an obvious goal scoring opportunity and a red card may have given us a better opportunity, but only for 10 minutes.

We go again.

Thought it was a breathtaking final and a wonderful advert for Scottish football.

Tait, Cadden, Main and Kipre all outstanding for Motherwell and a world class save from Carson to deny Moussa.

Unfortunately for you every one of our players was on it from the first minute and when we hit that level no team in Scotland can match us.

Can't see it ending any time soon. 

8 hours ago, Desp said:

I felt we needed the Motherwell players to play their best for 90 minutes, and for us to have some luck, to have a chance of victory. Sadly neither happened. 

McGregor's goal was absolutely world class, however if you gave him that chance another 100 times, he'd be doing well to score another once. The second goal, which I was right behind, was being saved IMO until a deflection from Kipré.  In the second half, Gordon pulled off a good save from Main, Bigi hit the bar and Frear was inches away from getting on the end of Cadden's header. 

Fine margins I guess, but overall no complaints. Celtic done enough to win the game so congratulations to them for winning another treble. 

Maybe one day... 

To be honest, a similar performance from us against any other side might well have been enough on the day. We've shown time and again throughout 2017/18 that our combative, pressing game can bear fruits and against the Aberdeen's, Hearts and even Rangers of this world that has on occasion proved to be effective for us.

This Celtic side though are a different kettle of fish to any of those sides and as I've said earlier, their ball movement, strength and pace were just too much for us. Main and Bowman actually put in a good shift on Saturday but found it difficult against Ajer and Boyata, whilst Tait and Cadden also had good games but in Cadden's case in particular, found himself out of his depth against Tierney, particularly early on.

There are times when you can bemoan the fact that your team just didn't turn up on the day - the 2011 Final against the same opponents being the prime example - but Saturday was not one of them. No other Scottish side would have done any better than we did on the day.

The only 'if only' I can look to is 'if only' Stuart McCall's Motherwell side of 2011-13  with Ojamaa, Higdon, Law, Hutchison & Humphrey had half the guts and bottle that this Motherwell side have. At a time when Celtic weren't half as good as they are now then that really was a golden chance for us to lift silverware.

14 hours ago, MJC said:

To be honest, a similar performance from us against any other side might well have been enough on the day. We've shown time and again throughout 2017/18 that our combative, pressing game can bear fruits and against the Aberdeen's, Hearts and even Rangers of this world that has on occasion proved to be effective for us.

This Celtic side though are a different kettle of fish to any of those sides and as I've said earlier, their ball movement, strength and pace were just too much for us. Main and Bowman actually put in a good shift on Saturday but found it difficult against Ajer and Boyata, whilst Tait and Cadden also had good games but in Cadden's case in particular, found himself out of his depth against Tierney, particularly early on.

There are times when you can bemoan the fact that your team just didn't turn up on the day - the 2011 Final against the same opponents being the prime example - but Saturday was not one of them. No other Scottish side would have done any better than we did on the day.

Agree with this.  I have to say though, I thought Boyata was fantastic up against Main and basically made him ineffective, despite the best efforts from Main.  I did think pre-match that we could get some joy out of Boyata, so it's only right I credit the big man at the back.  Played well. 

Our last three cup finals have all been against Celtic and we've not scored a goal.  It would be nice to play someone else next time.  Very jealous of the likes of Dundee Utd (up against Ross County), Hearts (up against Hibs), St. Johnstone (up against Dundee Utd) & Inverness (up against fucking Falkirk) who've had it a little easier during their Scottish Cup final wins this decade. 

Archived