Best opposition players?

Always difficult because you only see the opposition at most 4 times a season. But what opposition players have impressed you?

Montrose - the backline at Montrose is so solid. Sean Dillon has been a great signing, the keeper looks like a very safe pair of hands, but I really like Matty Allan. Didn't know anything about him but the last twice I have seen him play I have been very impressed.

Clyde - obviously Goodwillie but only really in the last game at Ochilview when he scored that ridiculous 2nd goal. Suspect he was dragged down by the general malaise around Broadwood for the first half of the season.

Cowden - Gilfillan is obviously a calming influence at the back. Not sure if he is fit enough to do a full season - he must have been out of the game for a reason - but obviously making a big impact at Cowden. Sheerin was good both games we played recently, but suspect he will have dropped out of the senior game for a reason; a pretty obvious one too.

Edinburgh City - Scott Shepherd has turned into a decent player after my initial reservations about him when he was at Brechin on loan a season or two ago. Wouldn't mind seeing him at Ochilview when he is inevitably released by Falkirk.

Berwick - the worst team I have seen this season, where their keeper McCrorie has impressed in keeping the score down both games at Ochilview.

Stirling - going back to the start of the season, Morrison was very impressive on opening day, but the two other games we played Stirling I thought that they were poor. Nobody stood out.

Sorry Annan, Peterhead and Elgin. Can't think of any stand out performances. Shame on me.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been to as many games as I would have liked to this term but a couple of players have stood out.

David Goodwillie (Clyde) is obviously the best player in the division and is performing at a level well beneath his capabilities.  His goals have been so important to Clyde and have brought them within the cusp of the play-off places but, when I've seen him, I've been most impressed with his attitude and application. It might be easy for someone of his pedigree to mooch around and wait for the ball to come his way but he's always running, moving into the channels, dropping deep, chasing down centre-backs. He'll be a massive loss when he eventually moves on.

Calumn Morrison (Stirling Albion) bodied us good and proper when Stenhousemuir hosted the Binos on the opening day of the season, and Bryan Gilfillan (Cowdenbeath) kept our (admittedly very limited) attacks at bay when we met them earlier in the month. He really has brought a lot of organisation to Cowden's defence. Sean Dillion and Cammy Ballantyne (Montrose) did not budge when we played them. The best centre-back and the best full-back in the division.

The best XI from this league would very likely beat the best from the Championship if they were all full-time.

Goodie, Ballantyne, Dillon, Paton, McStay, Gibson, Barr, McAllister [...]. Add a few on to that and you've a better team than Clyde ever had while in the old first division.

I think this has been a rare year for quality at this level. A lot of good experienced players, capable at a higher level, have contented themselves here. Likewise, the feed of loan-players has been generous. The two lads we have from Huddersfield, for instance. They'd have no bother in the Championship.

It's not unusual to see players capable at a higher level playing at a lower level, of course, but that often owes to their attitudes. You couldn't really say that about most lads this season. It's really been circumstance, favours-and-contacts that've manifest the situation.

2 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

The best XI from this league would very likely beat the best from the Championship if they were all full-time.

Goodie, Ballantyne, Dillon, Paton, McStay, Gibson, Barr, McAllister [...]. Add a few on to that and you've a better team than Clyde ever had while in the old first division.

I think this has been a rare year for quality at this level. A lot of good experienced players, capable at a higher level, have contented themselves here. Likewise, the feed of loan-players has been generous. The two lads we have from Huddersfield, for instance. They'd have no bother in the Championship.

It's not unusual to see players capable at a higher level playing at a lower level, of course, but that often owes to their attitudes. You couldn't really say that about most lads this season. It's really been circumstance, favours-and-contacts that've manifest the situation.

Did you really say that out loud?

the best of league 2 would beat the best of the championship?

what a load of utter horse shit. Please refrain from commenting in the future as you’ve not got a scooby.

1 hour ago, 1GregStewart said:

Did you really say that out loud?

the best of league 2 would beat the best of the championship?

what a load of utter horse shit. Please refrain from commenting in the future as you’ve not got a scooby.

Give me your best Championship XI.

3 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Sean Murdoch

Liam Smith Craig Halkett Harry Davis Jack Iredale

Lewis Morgan Stephen McGinn Shaun Byrne Ryan Flynn

Ryan Hardie Stephen Dobbie 

From the top of my head would pretty comprehensively deal with a L2 XI.

Let's say Smith from Stenny in goal. Dillon, Barr, Ballantyne/McGeachie and/or MacNeil at the back.

Willie Gibson/Jack Boyle. Chris McStay. Simon Ferry. Matty Allan/Lewis Milne/Harry Paton across the middle.

Goodwillie and McAllister/McGuigan up top.

I really don't think that those two teams, pitted against one another, would serve up a big scoreline. And I'd take our centre-forwards over the Championship ones, good as they are.

Look at the level our lads have very recently played at. The fees they've commanded. The caps. Where they're on-loan from. How they're not physically weak players. How some have real pace.

I'm smoking nothing. I know the lads from that Championship XI. Most have played against us in recent years. And aye: it's a good XI. But there really isn't a lot in it. Like I say: if you controlled for fitness, I'd actually fancy our lads.

27 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Let's say Smith from Stenny in goal. Dillon, Barr, Ballantyne/McGeachie and/or MacNeil at the back.

Willie Gibson/Jack Boyle. Chris McStay. Simon Ferry. Matty Allan/Lewis Milne/Harry Paton across the middle.

I really don't think that those two teams, pitted against one another, would serve up a big scoreline. And I'd take our centre-forwards over the Championship ones, good as they are.

Look at the level our lads have very recently played at. The fees they've commanded. The caps. Where they're on-loan from. How they're not physically weak players. How some have real pace.

I'm smoking nothing. I know the lads from that Championship XI. Most have played against us in recent years. And aye: it's a good XI. But there really isn't a lot in it. Like I say: if you controlled for fitness, I'd actually fancy our lads.

What I would say is that we're pretty gubbins, but still beat Peterhead 3-1 at Balmoor a few months ago. The gap between L1 and the Championship is huge (see City, Brechin). Now I'm not one to judge a team based on a single performance, but conceding two goals to Calum Gallagher (and three to us) really isn't a good sign. It's made even worse when you consider we ended up with Stuart Carswell at LB for a bit - and only had two fit outfield subs.

Goodwillie and McAllister is obviously a strong strikeforce, but Dobbie is an incredible player, and Hardie would outscore McAllister in that Peterhead team. That's before you include guys like Lewis Morgan, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Flynn (and Cammy Smith who I've inexplicably left out).

A L1 all stars side, against a L2 all stars side could be a lot closer. 

Is the Barr you mention Darren by the way? I keep forgetting that he's back playing again.

23 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

What I would say is that we're pretty gubbins, but still beat Peterhead 3-1 at Balmoor a few months ago. The gap between L1 and the Championship is huge (see City, Brechin). Now I'm not one to judge a team based on a single performance, but conceding two goals to Calum Gallagher (and three to us) really isn't a good sign. It's made even worse when you consider we ended up with Stuart Carswell at LB for a bit - and only had two fit outfield subs.

Goodwillie and McAllister is obviously a strong strikeforce, but Dobbie is an incredible player, and Hardie would outscore McAllister in that Peterhead team. That's before you include guys like Lewis Morgan, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Flynn (and Cammy Smith who I've inexplicably left out).

A L1 all stars side, against a L2 all stars side could be a lot closer. 

Is the Barr you mention Darren by the way? I keep forgetting that he's back playing again.

It is Darren, aye. But I'd have our Dylan Cogill in before him. On loan from Huddersfield and every bit as sturdy as Dundee's Kerr Waddell, playing regularly in the SPL. More mobile, and a bigger lad than Barr too.

I could just as easily pick out your loss against us at the start of the season; us then being an absolute diddy mob. I mean this respectfully, of course, because I know you've improved since, but getting beat off of Chapman's Clyde is about as bad a thing as a senior side could manage then. I could also pick-out how Peterhead have had drubbings at times through this season; thus to make your win seem unimpressive. You need to bear in mind: we're talking a cup scenario. Best of L2 v Championship.

Dobbie's great, aye; him and Shaun O'Connor are my number-one-ever non-SPL strikeforce. I was laughed out of town all those years back when I said they'd bully Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers or whoever else it was they came up against. That is, by Rangers and Aberdeen supporting colleagues of mine. Of course, anyone watching them for even a game or two would know that physicality like O'Connor's and quality like Dobbie's transcends leagues quite easily. Particularly if you're talking about cup situations.

Doubtless, Dobbie and Hardie would be bagging similar numbers to Goodie and McAllister down here. But Goodie and McAllister are more mobile than Dobbie is and, last I checked, last a match better than him these days. McGuigan's an absolute nightmare for defenders, given his presence. Not unlike O'Connor actually; if he was a full-time player you'd actually have a similar sort of threat.

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

Alexander
Halkett Ashcroft Lithgow 
Morgan Pittman McGinn Byrne Aird
Hardie Dobbie

That XI would absolutely undoubtedly destroy half the teams in the Premiership let alone a best of the seasidey-est league known to man

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

Then you are an idiot. But we already knew that. 

Goodwillie is an exceptional case playing at a level well below himself for non football reasons but seriously, St Mirren would cuff a best League 2 XI more often than not never mind throwing in the pick of players from elsewhere.

And Dobbie plays 90 mins just about every week. He lasts matches just fine (at least when Willo Flood doesnt kick him off the park anyway).

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Alexander
Halkett Ashcroft Lithgow 
Morgan Pittman McGinn Byrne Aird
Hardie Dobbie

That XI would absolutely undoubtedly destroy half the teams in the Premiership let alone a best of the seasidey-est league known to man

Behave. Wouldnt have Ashcroft anywhere near a Championship eleven and Aird barely starts for Dunfermline.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Behave. Wouldnt have Ashcroft anywhere near a Championship eleven and Aird barely starts for Dunfermline.

Aird was absolutely phenomenal against us earlier in the season and has looked brilliant every time after that

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Aird was absolutely phenomenal against us earlier in the season and has looked brilliant every time after that

Fact remains he has been with Dunfermline all season and started 8 games. He isnt even in Dunfermline's top eleven never mind a League select.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Why not have Ashcroft? One of the ever presents in one of the best defences in the championship. 

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fact remains he has been with Dunfermline all season and started 8 games. He isnt even in Dunfermline's top eleven never mind a League select.

For non footballing reasons, he's definitely in our top eleven at the moment, which is why he's starting games. 

16 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Why not have Ashcroft? One of the ever presents in one of the best defences in the championship. 

For non footballing reasons, he's definitely in our top eleven at the moment, which is why he's starting games. 

Well yes he clearly is. And to be fair Atlis nominated a "Best" Championship XI which is not necessarily I suppose requiring a season long contribution but there are plenty of players who have impressed all season rather than one with about a month of form. What non footballing reasons incidentally?

Any team of the Championship which doesnt have Iain Vigurs in it is plain wrong too. He has been terrific all year.

As for Ashcroft I am possibly being unfair based on one game but I cant really see past his floundering after Dobbie and Kane in the 5-2 game. I would certainly take him given a chance but I would take Davis and McKenzie at St Mirren first.

St Mirren, Livingston, Dundee United, Dunfermline and ICT would absolutely torch the best of what League 2 and indeed League 1 could offer.

I don’t think our Huddersfield boys could get a game in the championship, i genuinely think we could get better... Boyle the best out the 2 but I’d rather even Fitzpatrick we had a couple of seasons ago that went to alloa

Archived