Your Team's Player of the Year

The aim of this thread is simple: post your nomination for your club's Player of the Year with a short explanation. You may also give a shout out to an honourable mentions.

At Stenhousemuir, it's a toss up between Mark McGuigan and Harry Paton. McGuigan's probably been our most important player and without his goals (and some of them have been extraordinary), the team would be in a far shabbier position. Paton, meanwhile, has been the most eye-catching player and the best midfielder in the division, and his ability on the ball is head and shoulders above everyone else. I don't think anyone's won the coveted Wee Bar Man of the Match award as often as Paton and I reckon he's got a bright future in the game. If either player was awarded the accolade, it would be well deserved.

Credit also to Mark Ferry who's been a fine presence in the middle of the park, someone who does the simple things very well, and Ross Dunlop, a very decent ball-playing centre-back.

1 minute ago, CEMSFC said:

Mark Ferry- pretty much what you just said and he has been 1 of 2 players to play every minute this season.

I didn't realise that, fair play to him, that's a great achievement. Who's the other player? It must be one of the Dunlop brothers or Ruaridh Donaldson.

Darren Smith - without his goals fk knows where we would be in the league.

Ross Mcgeachie- has played every game this season and has been solid at the back.

YPOTY
Callumn Morrison- even though he isn't at the club Any More I'm sure he is still in with a chance. Defenders must still be having nightmares of him.

8 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The aim of this thread is simple: post your nomination for your club's Player of the Year with a short explanation. You may also give a shout out to an honourable mentions.

At Stenhousemuir, it's a toss up between Mark McGuigan and Harry Paton. McGuigan's probably been our most important player and without his goals (and some of them have been extraordinary), the team would be in a far shabbier position. Paton, meanwhile, has been the most eye-catching player and the best midfielder in the division, and his ability on the ball is head and shoulders above everyone else. I don't think anyone's won the coveted Wee Bar Man of the Match award as often as Paton and I reckon he's got a bright future in the game. If either player was awarded the accolade, it would be well deserved.

Credit also to Mark Ferry who's been a fine presence in the middle of the park, someone who does the simple things very well, and Ross Dunlop, a very decent ball-playing centre-back.

Route 1 Stenny say they have the best midfielder in the division. The boy hardly touch’s it as it flies over his head.

1 hour ago, 1GregStewart said:

Route 1 Stenny say they have the best midfielder in the division. The boy hardly touch’s it as it flies over his head.

Which midfielders in this year's League 2 are better than Harry Paton?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe you should shut that hole in the middle of your face every once in a while.

Darren Smith - without his goals fk knows where we would be in the league.

Ross Mcgeachie- has played every game this season and has been solid at the back.

YPOTY
Callumn Morrison- even though he isn't at the club Any More I'm sure he is still in with a chance. Defenders must still be having nightmares of him.

Would agree with Matty here and I think Darren Smith will probably win it for the second year running and although I didn’t agree with it last year, I don’t think you could argue against it this year.

I would also like to throw in LEE HAMILTON for Most Improved Player this season and say, once again, that I was totally wrong about him as a football player and think that he may have a few offers on the table come the summer.

For those who don’t know, Lee came through our youth system a few years back, but during the MacDonald and then McLaren era, I didn’t see anything to suggest that he was anything other than an average lower league player. When McLaren releases him and he signed for Berwick, I thought “no big loss” and whilst at Berwick, I wouldn’t have said he played well against us each time I watched him.

During the summer he played as a trialist in a few friendlies and Mackay said that he was using the club to train with but he wasn’t looking to sign him, he obviously played well during the friendlies and the League Cup matches and was signed for the season and he’s never looked back.

Whether it’s been at Left Back, Left Midfield or at Centre Back Hamilton has impressed me and for him, it’s probably a pity that Smith has had the season he has had because he’d be well up there.

Any other season, McGuigan would be a shoe in. When did we last have a striker scoring over 20 goals in a season? Unfortunately I think he has gone off the boil the 2nd half of the season after a flying start, and the current enforced absence is maybe what he needs, but by all accounts we have an able deputy in Andy Dallas.

Other honourable mentions for

(1) Ruaridh Donaldson - he has developed into a very handy player (last home game excepted) who has visibly developed as the season has gone on -

(2) Ross Dunlop - recent aberrations aside, a pretty composed, reliable centre half. People who know more about the game can explain to me why he has never progressed beyond league 1 and 2. Pretty late to the professional game wasn't he?

(3) Mark Ferry - was pretty sceptical when we signed him. Never ever impressed when I saw him at Albion Rovers, but shows what I know. Does nothing spectacular whatsoever but every single week he gets through a power of work and rarely puts a foot wrong.

Our player of the year though is Harry Paton. Like Paul McMullan a few years ago, you go along to the game excited about seeing this guy play. Would be in my all time Stenhousemuir XI. Certainly the best midfielder I've seen this season in the league - I don't think any other team has a player with his ability to drift past players and get the team on the front foot. Worrying that he has finally been crocked - it was only a matter of time - and hopefully we haven't seen his last performance in a Warriors shirt.

Easy one for Edinburgh City, if it wasn’t for Scott Shepherd's goals we’d be done for. Wasn’t expecting much when he came in but his pace absolutely terrifies defences at this level, he’s stronger than you’d think and has scored some lovely goals.

Our goalie Callum Antell started the season well but has dropped off and other than that all our standouts from last season have disappointed, Marc Laird and Josh Walker in particular. Neither have been terrible but nowhere near the influence they had last season.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe you should shut that hole in the middle of your face every once in a while.

Danny Jardine imo.

Our player of the year is between Darren Lee Smith or Lee Hamilton tbh. I'd go for Lee but. He's probably been our most consistent player this season, still to this day I wonder why we let him go a few years back.

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hahahaha

some bite ya walloper

let’s not detract from the fact that stenny are route 1 whatever you say Franco 

Allan Fleming 17 clean sheets in 33 games has been a great return from someone who was despised under Hegarty and has turned it right around.

Dillon is also a worthy mention as he has brought solidity to the defence which has helped Fleming with so many clean sheets.  

Leave the last mention to the human octopus that is Chris Templeman.  He causes defences so many problems with his feet and has been a consistent performer once again for us.

For the Albion got to be Darren Smith top goal scorer for us this season. Special mention for Lee Hamilton who after being released by the Club has proved us wrong by being one of our better players this year.

Archived