General Secretary of the West Region

Nugent4nil

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

Correct me if I am wrong is TJ not a Pollok fan?

Maybe thinking of Joe Black?

TJ played for Neilston and I'd assume any loyalty, were there to be any, would be there. No Lok connection at all that I'm aware of.

Guest Moomintroll
IMO if two candidates stand against SR it guarantees his re-election. Kenny, you tried, and unfortunately failed. Give Robert his chance.
Kenny didn't really fail, some clubs and their committees let him down after promising him their support. The farce that has been this season has vindicated pretty much everything he was pointing out as examples of poor practice that was hurting individual clubs and the association in general. He wanted to fix that and would have done a good job of it, that said I agree that to stand again will reduce the chance of SR finally going so he should step aside and support Robert in his bid, hopefully with his backing the dinosaur will finally be extinct.

7 minutes ago, Larky55 said:

SR is s fine gentleman, he regularly visits Gaswork Park home of Larkhall Thistle. I like him, needs a helping hand with the fixtures though.

I've heard an awful lot said about SR over the years. You learn something new every day.

Kenny didn't really fail, some clubs and their committees let him down after promising him their support. The farce that has been this season has vindicated pretty much everything he was pointing out as examples of poor practice that was hurting individual clubs and the association in general. He wanted to fix that and would have done a good job of it, that said I agree that to stand again will reduce the chance of SR finally going so he should step aside and support Robert in his bid, hopefully with his backing the dinosaur will finally be extinct.
I'm not having a go at Kenny and regardless of why he didn't succeed, he needs to support Robert or ask Robert to support him.

Guest Moomintroll
I'm not having a go at Kenny and regardless of why he didn't succeed, he needs to support Robert or ask Robert to support him.
Totally agree, Kenny supporting Robert will bring the much needed change. In overall terms given what is happening behind the scenes it will probably be too late for the WoSJFA but at least there will be far more competence during the transition season(s).

1 hour ago, Larky55 said:

SR is s fine gentleman, he regularly visits Gaswork Park home of Larkhall Thistle. I like him, needs a helping hand with the fixtures though.

He may well be a fine gentleman, but he is rank rotten at his job. 

1 hour ago, Larky55 said:

SR does have a hand though as he has an Assistant Secretary, who seems to be overlooked when any blame is being dished out. If Robert or Kennie were successful, would the Assistants position be under threat?? 

2 hours ago, Larky55 said:

Whether you get on with him on a personal level or not is neither here or there - in this instance it's 100% about whether the job's being done to a satisfactory standard.

There's ample evidence it's not, and that the revised parameters of the job set at the start of this season aren't being adhered to.

I used to work with a great guy who unfortunately it seemed needed retraining every time he came back from lunch as he seemed to have a brainwipe every time he got more than ten feet away from his desk. Regardless of how much we liked the guy, there came a point when he had to move on.

That's the point we're at here.

Guest Moomintroll
SR does have a hand though as he has an Assistant Secretary, who seems to be overlooked when any blame is being dished out. If Robert or Kennie were successful, would the Assistants position be under threat?? 
There you go then, Robert and Kenny dream ticket. Under SR the assistant will be marginalised much like our wonderful assistant referees usually are when they appear as the man in the middle only cares about his ranking rather than making the game an enjoyable experience for spectators ( I was grade 4 so I know he has to referee what is in front of him). Working together they will also remove the central/ayrshire bias gripes that still come up.

I'm not sure the personal stuff about him is helpful or even particularly relevant. 

Folk pursing these sort of avenues have to realise that it can be off-putting to the people you're hoping to get onside when it comes to the next vote. Best sticking to the guy's performance, which sadly speaks for itself. 

Before all this speculation and guesswork goes into overdrive, here's my side.

I spent the bulk of last season campaigning and visiting as many clubs as possible. I hardly saw a full game all season. This season I had, so far, put all of it to the back of my mind and got back to watching football. On saying that, however, it was never far from my thoughts and I was often approached or contacted about whether or not I would stand again.

Almost a week ago, I was contacted by Robert Burns, who informed me he was about to submit an application for the post and he asked me for some assistance and guidance about how to go about it and would I also help him in his challenge. I stopped the conversation right there and informed Robert that at that moment in time I had yet to decide whether or not I was applying myself. I did not want Robert to get the impression that I was leading him on or assisting him in some way to gain an advantage and then declare myself as a candidate.

It was always my intention to wait till the Regional Meeting on Thursday 26th April to see how things were before making my decision public.

Things escalated quite rapidly this week and I contacted Robert to inform him that I was no longer holding off my decision till the meeting and that I would indeed be applying for the position. I have also made my position clear to some others within the Junior game.

I again contacted Robert this morning and discussed a few things with him, we understood each others position and we wished each other all the best. We do not see that there is an issue with both of us standing.

Kennie Young

So where does this leave the voting system ? Is it a straight one vote where the person with the most votes wins ? Or is it a two-round vote where the person with the lowest votes is eliminated and everybody votes again ? And does anybody know for sure if Mr Robertson intends to make himself available again or not ?

As with all proposals, rule changes etc put before the members, unless there is a clear majority winner In the first vote, the lowest will be eliminated and another vote by all the clubs involved will be taken. This insures that whoever wins will have got there by democratic principals and it will be a majority winner that takes the post. So whoever gets the post will be there by the consent of the majority of the clubs.

Archived