2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

19 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Inverurie are through.  They beat Fraserburgh 5-4 on penalties after it finished 2-2 after 90 minutes.

I'd forgotten of course there is no extra-time now.

East Stirlingshire beat BSC Glasgow 1-0 on Sunday, so 4th in LL feature in R1 but not 3rd.

No attendances seem to have been issued for either but the BSCG-'Shire crowd was reported as 147.

19 hours ago, liam_barnett said:

Bray Wanderers' place taken by Sligo Rovers after rejection from Limerick & St Pats:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/sligo-rovers-play-seasons-scottish-13016365

Bit embarrassing to invite foreign sides in only to have Wales hand a place down due to someone getting demoted, and Eire hand a place down due to bankruptcy but struggle to find a taker.

It doesn't actually say why those 2 clubs turned down the chance to play. Financially not worthwhile? Just seen as a distraction? They already pass-over their European entrants.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Yup, including "foreign" teams has sure improved this tournament. English non-league sides and 4th pick League of Ireland teams, yippee!

This makes zero difference - the LoI teams are interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. It's the plum draw for a great away day.

The National League clubs are league clubs, not non-league.
Are they in the EFL? No. So they are non-league. Same as the Shire and Inverurie. They are in the Lowland and Highland Leagues so aren't in the SPFL but in feeders to that organisation. The National League isn't the EFL but feeds into that organisation. They are non-league.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

The National League clubs are league clubs, not non-league.

How are they league clubs you space cadet? They're not members of the Football League or the Premier League - they are non-league clubs.

Plus, I still fail to understand why people need the excuse of a diddy cup match to go for pints in Ireland or Wales. Just go on a wee trip with your pals one weekend and avoid the expense and absolute pointlessness of attending a glorified friendly. Drinking culture in Scotland is genuinely frightening.

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

How are they league clubs you space cadet? They're not members of the Football League or the Premier League - they are non-league clubs.

Plus, I still fail to understand why people need the excuse of a diddy cup match to go for pints in Ireland or Wales. Just go on a wee trip with your pals one weekend and avoid the expense and absolute pointlessness of attending a glorified friendly. Drinking culture in Scotland is genuinely frightening.

Because me and my pals have a common interest in supporting Falkirk and travelling to different places to watch them is a shared passion.

If you think wanting to watch Falkirk play in London or Dublin instead of Dumbarton or Methil is "genuinely frightening" then you batter on.

Excuse my complete ignorance on this now but has the Development League completely gone and the Premiership teams all have reserve sides now?  If so, will it really be colt sides in this competition or will Forfar potentially be facing a number of Livingston's first team players with a few youngsters thrown in?

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Excuse my complete ignorance on this now but has the Development League completely gone and the Premiership teams all have reserve sides now?  If so, will it really be colt sides in this competition or will Forfar potentially be facing a number of Livingston's first team players with a few youngsters thrown in?

I would imagine that the Challenge Cup would keep the old Development League eligibility rules to prevent that.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Because me and my pals have a common interest in supporting Falkirk and travelling to different places to watch them is a shared passion.

If you think wanting to watch Falkirk play in London or Dublin instead of Dumbarton or Methil is "genuinely frightening" then you batter on.

This.

Boreham Wood or Sutton in the next round please.

Bit embarrassing to invite foreign sides in only to have Wales hand a place down due to someone getting demoted, and Eire hand a place down due to bankruptcy but struggle to find a taker.

Pity some of the Scottish clubs hadn’t turned down places. That might have forced the SPFL to abandon the recent stupid changes.

PotM still waddles into every game at 2:20 to get a Capri Sun and a photo with the mascot: absolute NAP.

The adults meanwhile can enjoy a long weekend in a foreign country with some local bumpkins being effortlessly sworded on the park as a minor diversion. If McKinnon follows his predecessor’s approach and denies us Sligo away by losing in the first round of this then I’ll be absolutely seething.

On 03/08/2018 at 12:23, dee_62 said:

It's under 21 criteria for the colts sides. IIRC anyone born after 1st January 1997 is eligible - but that might be 1998. 

On 04/08/2018 at 23:01, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

It's under 21 criteria for the colts sides. IIRC anyone born after 1st January 1997 is eligible - but that might be 1998. 

Think it'll be 1998, as that was the cut-off for the U20s last season, so if it's been extended by one year...