2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah, why not. If even the Colts boycott Colts it might cause some sort of rift in the space-time continuum that destroys the twats who organised this competition.

The one major flaw in your argument Bully Wee is thinking that anyone at Hampden gives one single f**k about what the fans of 40 clubs think. :(

27 minutes ago, mrman2011 said:

Great draw. Love the colts in it. Dundee United fans will be fucked off if they lose

I expect they'll put out a very young side too. They can't really afford to do otherwise, no matter how unlikely a defeat would be for a strong team.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt this is actually a thing - when there are 24 balls in the pot for each draw, it's not all that surprising that you'll sometimes get a group of consecutive numbers which are close together. There's also an observation bias present - it's more likely that you notice when the balls are one number apart, but don't notice when they're not. 

It wasn’t just that the numbers were grouped together, it was the fact that the higher numbers came out first.

In the north draw, the sequence was 20, 9, 17, 19, 24 and 23. So 4 of the 6 highest numbers drawn first.

I think the south draw looked more skewed - the first half was 47, 46, 37, 28, 38, 36, 41, 30, 42, 45, 48, 43.  

Of the first 12 numbers picked, 7 were from the highest 8 and only 2 from the lowest 8 meaning the second 12 numbers drawn had 1 from the highest 8 and 6 from the lowest 8. In addition, there was the “bunching” of 36, 37 and 38 as well as 41, 42, 43, 45 and 48.

Obviously, the sample is too small to draw any conclusions, but this kind of thing happens too often to be coincidence imo. On this occasion, I think the higher numbers were in the centre of the bowl and therefore more likely to be picked first. The pickers swirled them around, but it made no real difference. They were always going to pick from the centre and if the higher numbers had settled there, they were more likely to be chosen first. Sometimes it is different with 1 v 36 followed by 35 v 2 followed by 18 v 19 being the kind of pattern. But it happens all the time, particulalry in the early rounds. They need to mix the balls up before they put them in the bowl, imo.

However, I accept that I might be seeing patterns that don’t exist.

46 minutes ago, peternapper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Its Barrs or Irn Bru I feel sorry for, don't know how much money they put into but they are not getting value for it or very good pr as many now associate the name with totally f--ked up product after Doncasters tinkering.

I wouldn't. They started sponsoring it when the format changed to include the Colts, Welsh and Irish teams so they were well aware of what was happening. They might even have had some input into the cross border format but that's just supposition. This coming season is the last of the three year deal so will be interesting to see if they renew or not.

9 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

And that night it was free entry to see the colts play Arbroath on the wednesday night.
Not even 300 fans turned up.

These were the crowds in R1 & R2 in 2016-17:

493     Rangers 'B' v Stirling Uni (at Stirling)
476     Stirling Albion v Hearts 'B'
402     Motherwell 'B' v Edinburgh City
351     Clyde v Partick 'B'
350     Ross County 'B' v Brora
320     St Johnstone 'B' v Turriff
305     Formartine v Aberdeen 'B'
302     Berwick v Spartans
299     Queen's Park v Kilmarnock 'B'
296     Inverness 'B' v Arbroath
216     Celtic 'B' v Annan (at Greenock)
190     Cove v Dundee 'B' (at Forfar)
149     East Stirlingshire v Montrose
119     Cumbernauld v Hamilton 'B'

1,007 Motherwell 'B' v Airdrie
449     Cowdenbeath v Celtic 'B'
436     Partick 'B' v Queen's Park
399     Peterhead v Brora
350     Elgin v Hearts 'B'
335     Arbroath v East Fife
326     Stranraer v Spartans
324     Rangers 'B' v Stenhousemuir (at Stirling)
242     Brechin v Cove
221     Aberdeen 'B' v Forfar (at Formartine)
180     Turriff v Montrose
114     Albion Rovers v Hamilton 'B'

These were the crowds in the new R1 last season, which featured Championship clubs:

1,655 Dundee Utd v Cowdenbeath
1,462 Dunfermline v Arbroath
1,357 St Mirren v East Kilbride
1,036 Morton v Livingston
1,012 QotS v Airdrie
971     Raith v Brora
453     Buckie v Brechin
413     Stirling Albion v Montrose
389     Dumbarton v Rangers 'B'
387     Hibs 'B' v Elgin (at Spartans)
333     East Fife v Peterhead
319     Clyde v Stranraer
318     East Stirlingshire v Ayr
278     Annan v Celtic 'B'
255     Kilmarnock 'B' v Berwick
234     Ross County 'B' v Forfar
200     Formartine v Hearts 'B'
190     Partick 'B' v Stirling Uni
169     Stenhousemuir v Cove
168     Motherwell 'B' v Queen's Park (at Stirling)
155     Aberdeen 'B' v St Johnstone 'B' (at Brechin)
155     Albion Rovers v Spartans
153     Hamilton 'B' v Edinburgh City
110     Dundee 'B' v Alloa

It'll be interesting to see how they fare this time in the new Preliminary & R1.

I'd totally back the club just pulling out tbh. If that is going to result in a fine or some other punishment then send our youth team and treat it as a friendly.

Big questions should be asked of both the board and management if a first team player ends up making that journey for a kick about.