2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

14 hours ago, algy said:

Well, it's a combination of things.  Football isn't as popular as rugby, particularly outside the big towns.  The big clubs (Cardiff City, Wrexham, Swansea City, Newport County, and to a lesser extent Merthyr Town & Colwyn Bay) play in the English league structure.  Travel is difficult and expensive, so some larger teams deliberately avoid getting promoted (by not applying for promotion) to avoid the associated travel costs.  My dad's local club get attendances around about the same size as TNS, maybe slightly higher, but can usually be found around the 4th tier (give or take a level) because of that exact reason.  For Premier League clubs, the need to be UEFA-licensed is a massive financial burden - UEFA require a level of infrastructure that's completely unrealistic for many clubs.  Both of those add up to being that the teams in the WPL are the ones who've got a local sugar daddy who's willing to pay the bills.  It isn't necessarily going to be the teams with the biggest support. 

There is very little brand exposure down here as well. There is the games on S4C sometimes and in the papers the scores but that's about it. I lived in wales just over 6 years and not once have I seen a welsh team top (Cardiff and Swansea aside). Bridgend Ravens (rugby) gets a bit of coverage on the local radio but generally the interest is in the rugby (regions and international) as you say and the  football teams in England. 

5 hours ago, drs said:

Cheers. Didn't realise that those two OF jokers are actually on a working group for this competition. So unfortunately not much chance of the Colts getting binned from this cup any time soon. That'll be the same Chris McCart of course that thought Andy Robertson was never going to be good enough 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm, a draw that gives Connagh's Quay the best possible chance of advancing to the final is unlkely to be welcomed by many who've played them it seems!

'Mon the Edinburgh City!

5bf593ae93d8e_maxboyce.jpg.b44a8c96fa4cf8c71ce4226252d0c2ef.jpg

thae Taffs can stick their leeks up their yakki-das!

still, might be the closest thing to an Edinburgh City European trip..

33 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

My money’s on Wales v Ireland semi so at least one foreign team qualifies for the final of the SPFL International Soccer Tournament. Venue will be ICT Soccerdrome.

Unless I'm being whooshed... it's drawn?

Connahs Quay Nomads v Edinburgh City
Ross County v Bohemians/East Fife

Conceivably might rely on Ross County preventing Wales v Eire final.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Unless I'm being whooshed... it's drawn?

Connahs Quay Nomads v Edinburgh City
Ross County v Bohemians/East Fife

Conceivably might rely on Ross County preventing Wales v Eire final.

Yep, when it comes to this competition, if East Fife lose in Dublin and Edinburgh City lose in Wales, we are all Shoestealers! 'Mon the Shoestealers.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s been a busy day. Disappointed my conspiracy theory is busted. Wales isn’t even a country ffs!

Meanwhile in Connah's Quay.. 

denzil.jpg.fa4ccec87f1be34300dfba13b64f3d61.jpg

ach y fi! some abergavenny face is saying on that are Pie and Bovril that Wales are not a true country...

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The Peterhead Chairman getting the SPFL numbskulls telt in today's papers about the utter ballsup this "Competition"  has become. 

(I can't do a link) 

(I can)

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/blue-toon-cup-farce-must-trigger-change/

Us, Peterheid, whoever, none of us have much influence on how this is being run outside the board of the SPFL, where leagues 1 and 2 only have one representative. I don't expect we'll see any changes to this unless the championship teams representatives have more to say on it. 

Peterhead general manager Martin Johnston said: “The whole thing is disappointing and I’m embarrassed that we have a national competition where we have a team withdrawing.

“It’s also disappointing that there was no communication with SPFL member clubs about the decision reached before it came out in the public domain.

“It would also be good to find out the reason for this decision being reached. Why have Bohemians withdrawn? Was it because they felt bad for East Fife who travelled across to Ireland and had the game postponed?

“We don’t know but it seems like it was the easy option for them to pull out and it belittles the cup.

“This should be the catalyst for change when supporters and clubs say they don’t like something the organisers should change it. Everyone is saying they don’t like this competition but we are always being told people like it.

“Well I would like to hear from them because we at Peterhead have yet to meet anyone who likes the current format with colt teams and cross border participants.”

tenor.gif

Blue Toon boss Jim McInally, Scotland’s longest-serving manager, added: “It’s just farcical and it’s incredible that Neil Doncaster can say clubs from the Republic of Ireland will be welcomed back next year.

“Change should be discussed and what has happened is laughable. I appreciate East Fife fans made a weekend out of it and it was a big game and it was attractive for them. But everything has to be right and it was not right. Teams from the Republic of Ireland shouldn’t be considered because they are a summer league.

“It now needs to be discussed by the clubs who is going to be in the tournament in the future. There needs to be an inquest into how this has happened.”

tenor.gif