• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
algy

2018/19 Challenge Cup

13 hours ago, Comrie said:

We barely got out of first gear and were far too good for Montrose. Their goal was a horrific mix up front Fonts, Draper and Fox. Fox especially seemed to be in "fanny around with the ball at his feet" mode. No bookings, no injuries, some nice passing at times but like I said, we just cruised it for 90 minutes.

Nothing like being magnanimous in victory.

Lets hope Motherwell Colts get the hardest possible draw and get dumped out of the competition. They shouldn't have been in there at all, but a colts team going as far as the semi finals would really be a terrible thing.

6 minutes ago, Marten said:

Lets hope Motherwell Colts get the hardest possible draw and get dumped out of the competition. They shouldn't have been in there at all, but a colts team going as far as the semi finals would really be a terrible thing.

Not for Motherwell or their players it wouldn’t. 

We don’t make the rules. 

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Not for Motherwell or their players it wouldn’t. 

We don’t make the rules. 

I know it's not Motherwell's fault, but it's a disgrace that they are allowed in the competition and the colt teams ruin the competition. So for the competition it would be great if they were dumped out.

4 minutes ago, Marten said:

I know it's not Motherwell's fault, but it's a disgrace that they are allowed in the competition and the colt teams ruin the competition. So for the competition it would be great if they were dumped out.

How do they ruin the competition?  

4 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

How do they ruin the competition?  

They have nothing to add to the competition, bring low crowds and are just used as development of players. A senior competition shouldn't be used for that, they should just stick with playing each other. Plus, I fear this is being used as a way to introduce colt teams in the lower divisions, which would kill lower division football. I can see no proper argument at all for these teams being in the competition in the first place. As I care about lower league football, I'd never go to a game involving any of them and I hope colt teams will be removed from this competition.

Give them to us. We are the unstoppable force at the moment.

#7inarow

3 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

When's the draw ? C'mon the Spiders!

Tuesday at 1PM from memory.

For folk looking for a day it, you want Dublin. Football wise, the only caution against another big trip would be that we barely kicked a ball for weeks after TNS.

I’ve changed my view on the Colts debate. Simply pissed off a trip to Sligo has been denied.

On the wider story, I can’t be the only one who’s spotted that several countries around Europe, including Engerlund, have been using a domestic competition with no UEFA qualifiying status for introducing Colts from their top tier teams. It’s not an SPFL initiative. C’mon guys, think about it. So it’ll end when the big nations decide and the SPFL follows.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

They have nothing to add to the competition, bring low crowds and are just used as development of players. A senior competition shouldn't be used for that, they should just stick with playing each other. Plus, I fear this is being used as a way to introduce colt teams in the lower divisions, which would kill lower division football. I can see no proper argument at all for these teams being in the competition in the first place. As I care about lower league football, I'd never go to a game involving any of them and I hope colt teams will be removed from this competition.

So the answer is, there is no reason they ruin the competition.  All but the top end teams in the Championship add f**k all to the competition.  This is a money losing exercise for the SPFL.  

As for colts in the lower leagues, 6 of the top 7 leagues in Europe have at least 1 team in their top 3 (England being the only one without) leagues while 24 of the top 30 do (while another that don't are at the mercy of their bigger neighbours on team selections).  

Good luck with your righteous crusade though as I'm looking foward to seeing how it turns out.   

Edited by Antiochas III

6 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

So the answer is, there is no reason they ruin the competition.  All but the top end teams in the Championship add f**k all to the competition.  This is a money losing exercise for the SPFL.  

As for colts in the lower leagues, 6 of the top 7 leagues in Europe have at least 1 team in their top 3 (England being the only one without) leagues while 24 of the top 30 do (while another that don't are at the mercy of their bigger neighbours on team selections).  

Good luck with your righteous crusade though as I'm looking foward to seeing how it turns out.   

The bold one is already not true, in Germany the last B team got relegated from the 3rd tier last season. They are absolutely despised by lower league fans, who generally feel they don't add anything to the divisions and bring no fans. There are various people in the German game trying to get rid of them. The same goes for The Netherlands, where their introduction in the lower tiers has been extremely unpopular and terrible for the leagues, meaning the clubs are now trying to get rid of them.

But from your post it's quite clear: you don't give a sh!t about the lower divisions, the Premiership is all that counts for you...

45 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

There’s no crusade. Just highlighting this isn’t something Scotland is doing on it’s own.

I feel sorry for people who can only ever see the dark. And fear change. 

40 minutes ago, Marten said:

The bold one is already not true, in Germany the last B team got relegated from the 3rd tier last season. They are absolutely despised by lower league fans, who generally feel they don't add anything to the divisions and bring no fans. There are various people in the German game trying to get rid of them. The same goes for The Netherlands, where their introduction in the lower tiers has been extremely unpopular and terrible for the leagues, meaning the clubs are now trying to get rid of them.

But from your post it's quite clear: you don't give a sh!t about the lower divisions, the Premiership is all that counts for you...

A qualified perspective Marten. Global sport is bending the rules. We saw a European athletics event recently held in two cities in different countries. Soon, there is an international football tournament to be held over several countries. Why? Money. 8 locations means more tickets sold, more sponsorship from each region,  more corporate packages.

Lower league clubs have always been dominated by someone locally. There’s just more sharks in a bigger sea now. Teams who accept this and plan for their future will survive and prosper. Those who long for the past and wail about the injustice of it all will pass away.

40 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A qualified perspective Marten. Global sport is bending the rules. We saw a European athletics event recently held in two cities in different countries. Soon, there is an international football tournament to be held over several countries. Why? Money. 8 locations means more tickets sold, more sponsorship from each region,  more corporate packages.

Lower league clubs have always been dominated by someone locally. There’s just more sharks in a bigger sea now. Teams who accept this and plan for their future will survive and prosper. Those who long for the past and wail about the injustice of it all will pass away.

Let's be very clear: I'm not against change, and I've actually argued for change in Scottish football and elsewhere. Both on P&B and other places, it's safe to say that not everything I say what should change is popular. It's just issues like B-teams I can't stand. That's an example of change that's not for the better. I partly come to that conclusion due to experience in following football on the continent (I used to live in The Netherlands and regularly traveled to Germany, I still follow football in both countries closely).

And when people argue it's worked for Germany (for example): their entire 2014 World Cup winning squad had exactly 1 B-team appearance between them. The real talents generally either get loaned out or get thrown straight in the first team. That's not just how it's used in Germany, but in most other countries with B-teams as well. B-teams often stop young players who are just outside the very top to go to smaller teams, which is neither great for them, nor for the smaller teams.

Edited by Marten