2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

Inverurie v Fraserburgh in the other Preliminary ties goes ahead on Wednesday 1st August as expected.

All ties in R1 are Tuesday 14th August except the non-league teams, Elgin v Arbroath and whatever team Dundee Utd put out v St Johnstone 'B', who play the following night.

With several of the bigger 'B' teams drawn away and Rangers 'B' hosting Falkirk (but will many travel?) no ties have been moved to other grounds, which is something.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

With several of the bigger 'B' teams drawn away and Rangers 'B' hosting Falkirk (but will many travel?) no ties have been moved to other grounds, which is something.

I'm sure we could hire out the temporary stand that we usually put up when Falkirk come to The Rock, we'll not be needing it this year.

I think a lot of the criticism the Challenge Cup gets is unjust. The only issue I have with it is the inclusion of the Colt teams. If you keep the foreign participants, and replace the Colt teams with the top six Highland League and Lowland League teams, then I think the tournament holds a good novelty factor for those of us wanting a weekend away on a piss or a new ground to visit. For Championship clubs it's seen as a very winnable trophy, and most clubs Championship mainstays are not in a position to be turning their nose up at a piece of silverware.

I think a lot of the criticism the Challenge Cup gets is unjust. The only issue I have with it is the inclusion of the Colt teams. If you keep the foreign participants, and replace the Colt teams with the top six Highland League and Lowland League teams, then I think the tournament holds a good novelty factor for those of us wanting a weekend away on a piss or a new ground to visit. For Championship clubs it's seen as a very winnable trophy, and most clubs Championship mainstays are not in a position to be turning their nose up at a piece of silverware.
Why cant they just make a new tournament then?

Have your Championship, Colts and Foreign teams in one cup. 30 teams

And have the League 1 and 2 teams along with the Highland and Lowland in another cup. 54 teams

8 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Why cant they just make a new tournament then?

Have your Championship, Colts and Foreign teams in one cup. 30 teams

And have the League 1 and 2 teams along with the Highland and Lowland in another cup. 54 teams

What would two separate tournaments achieve, exactly?

I quite like the idea of Clyde playing a "foreign" team. Realistically, it's the closest we are ever going to get to playing in Europe (thanks to the 1967 Exclusion Scandal). 

Just f**k the Colts off and it'll be an excellent tournament. 

What would two separate tournaments achieve, exactly?
Well cockwomble and co can jizz over the Championship facing off against the best foreign teams they can invite. Maybe see Celtic Colts face against TNS or Sligo Rovers. Get the big tv interest.

And the rest can play for the lower league trophy that every team and player will be interested in competing in. Granted some more than others but at least it gives the Lowland Highland league teams a chance to play against League 1/2 teams more often.

Not just a select few each year.

24 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Well cockwomble and co can jizz over the Championship facing off against the best foreign teams they can invite. Maybe see Celtic Colts face against TNS or Sligo Rovers. Get the big tv interest.

And the rest can play for the lower league trophy that every team and player will be interested in competing in. Granted some more than others but at least it gives the Lowland Highland league teams a chance to play against League 1/2 teams more often.

Not just a select few each year.

Well no, the appeal of my proposed tournament changes are that Championship fans are enthused by the prospect of either a weekend away at a foreign team OR a trip to a new ground in the HL/LL. Take one of those away and the appeal of the tournament is diminished. It is highly unlikely that there would ever be a lucrative TV offered for this tournament, therefore it should be about getting as many fans enthused about the tournament as possible. Splitting the Championship away from this tournament makes no sense financially, either to the clubs involved or potential tournament sponsors.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I quite like the idea of Clyde playing a "foreign" team. Realistically, it's the closest we are ever going to get to playing in Europe (thanks to the 1967 Exclusion Scandal). 

Just f**k the Colts off and it'll be an excellent tournament. 

As do I. The potential for Highland League and foreign away trips is an excellent attraction for supporters who are bored of playing the same teams four times a season.

I went over to Sligo last season and it was an excellent trip, just the change of scene needed. Including foreign teams dilutes the original aim of the cup ie, to give lower league teams a chance of winning silverware but does boost the cup. The whole Colts idea is the only really bad innovation, looking like an attempt to get fans used to colt teams before trying to get them into the leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 19:20, HibeeJibee said:

According to their twitters BSCG v East Stirlingshire in Preliminary has moved from Tuesday 31st July to Sunday 29th July.

League game East Stirlingshire v BSCG on LL opening day has correspondingly moved from Saturday 28th July to Wednesday 1st August, due to a 'Little Mix' concert at Falkirk.

Clubs had previously announced league game reversing to BSCG v 'Shire and moving to Sunday 29th July (to avoid an Alloa game on the Saturday), but this would have left only 1 day before the cup-tie.

Additionally it would have reversed league game on LL closing day to 'Shire v BSCG, but Falkirk are at home on Saturday 20th April.

If Little Mix put on a decent show, they'll probably get invited to enter the cup next year.

Hearing from an Irish mate that the FAI have refused to allow Bray Wanderers to compete in this year's tournament as they're having financial problems and aren't paying their players, with next in line Limerick having similar problems. Following them in the pecking order are St. Pats, who he supports much to his excitement.

He seems happier about the prospect of a trip to Cappielow than most of you lot would be, I'd imagine.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, liam_barnett said:

Bray Wanderers' place taken by Sligo Rovers after rejection from Limerick & St Pats:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/sligo-rovers-play-seasons-scottish-13016365

Yup, including "foreign" teams has sure improved this tournament. English non-league sides and 4th pick League of Ireland teams, yippee!