2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

Surprisingly enjoyable day considering it was a diddy cup. Mullin for McManus was so obvious, actually quite raging it took so long to make the change. 

Felt we got what we deserved in the first half as we obviously didn't take them seriously enough. They were brutal though, I don't care how 'effective' it was, that football was cancerous. The Welsh line-out was particularly effective. 

Two things became even more clear today, although i have been preaching this for weeks: 

1. Cowie is past it by some margin

2. The co-manager thing would be more prevalent if it worked. Get one of them all the way to f**k. 

2. The co-manager thing would be more prevalent if it worked. Get one of them all the way to f**k. 

I have always wondered about this and what County fans thought about this.

I mean on the face of it, everything looks good. Being clear at the top of the table and now with a cup win as well but is it working out? Does one of them seem to be,in more usual terms, the manager and the assistant or do they both try to take control at the same time.

Apart from watching this today I’ve only seen you play against Caley and considering we are a slightly above average championship team I have never been impressed at all. Always seemed that it was the quality of the players who could grind out the result rather than it being a good tactical setup or a bit of good management to get the result in the bag

2 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I mean on the face of it, everything looks good. Being clear at the top of the table and now with a cup win as well but is it working out? Does one of them seem to be,in more usual terms, the manager and the assistant or do they both try to take control at the same time.

Apart from watching this today I’ve only seen you play against Caley and considering we are a slightly above average championship team I have never been impressed at all. Always seemed that it was the quality of the players who could grind out the result rather than it being a good tactical setup or a bit of good management to get the result in the bag

Notwithstanding the fact fact that Caley literally only play well against County (as confirmed by Robertson), it's not working. It's hard to be upset when we are 8 point clear and I dont want to sound ungrateful, but with this squad we really should be doing even better. 

Notwithstanding the fact fact that Caley literally only play well against County (as confirmed by Robertson), it's not working. It's hard to be upset when we are 8 point clear and I dont want to sound ungrateful, but with this squad we really should be doing even better. 

I remember Archie Knox being labelled as co-manager of Aberdeen with Alex Ferguson when he returned although the reality was he was the assistant manager. Out of interest, which one of Kettlewell/Ferguson would you want to keep?

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

It's currently 5 points (although you do have a game in hand) 

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Fergie has the badges Kets doesn’t. 

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I see some County fan on Twitter thinks the Irn Bru Cup counts as a European competition! :lol:

What the f**k are you going to win you sack. Took your trophy off you in your own stadium. 

Edited by StoneThrowAway

Oh boy did we make hard work of that. The lad Bakare's goal looked a good finish from the south stand but that was a shambolic first half. Seen some poor County performances before and that's up there with the worst. Second half was a different story and once Mullin got on we could have got more.

Spoke to some Nomads fans in the ground under the main stand and they were a decent lot, said they'd enjoyed the trip.

Respect to all the CQN fans who travelled to the game, I thought their manager was gracious in defeat as well.

Dreadful performance from county in the first half, but I knew we had players on the bench who could make a difference.

As has been said we were very fortunate to be just 1-0 down at half time, should have been 3-0.

Got a grip on the game in the second half but for a while it looked like we may struggle to break them down. 

Whether people support the idea that teams from outside Scotland should enter or not, CQN deserved to be in the final and they made us work hard for the trophy.

10 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

What the f**k are you going to win you sack. Took your trophy off you in your own stadium. 

Cute.  How did you celebrate your cup win?  A can of diet Irn Bru and mummy and daddy let you stay up until 9.30?

Edited by Highland Capital

County are going to win the league and a cup having failed to put in a good 90 minutes all season. Very much a team that turns up for one half.

County were shite in the first half. A combination of complacency against a collection of cloggers, and the management team going with some weird attempt at a totally fluid front four and midfield two. Cowie and McManus were rubbish; Graham and Stewart can't play together effectively; there was no width at all.

Connah's could have been 3-0 up by half-time. Their goal was an absolute peach. Rugby style line-outs and very cynical challenges appeared to be their main gameplan though (I thought the referee clamped down on it very well but should probably shown more than the 2 yellow cards). The audacity of their manager to harp on about how they were "real men" when one of their guys went down like he'd been fucking shot after a fairly soft challenge from Fraser in the first-half.  That said, in fairness, they have a style of play that works for them and why would you change it?

County were so much better when the ball was on the ground but absolutely no movement. Presumably SK/SF went through them at half-time because the second half was played exclusively in the Connah's half. Just no movement and poor decision making until Mullin came on and he tore them apart with Gardyne. If it wasn't for continued poor decision making, County could have scored four or five in that last 20 minutes. I thought Stewart's effort went in earlier in the half but appears to have been cleared just before the line!

Nice to win the cup, and hopefully it's a momentum boost for the final stretch of the season. I'm also hoping that SK/SF can see the issues with the personnel and system yesterday.

P.S., a massive shout out to the group of ICT fans who took time out of their Saturday to kit themselves out in ICT gear and sit amongst the CQN fans, giving it big licks to the County fans throughout the day, only to leave en masse when the second goal went in. A bunch of total weirdos. 

Guest Moomintroll
Not wanting to defend Morton but Greenock isn't on the coast. 
Why is the Firth of Clyde so close then? Is this a weird Electric Brae style of thing, "theres a fuckton of water and an island, but really we are 5 miles inland".