2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

Just clicked that their manager Andy Morrison is the former Man City player. Have read his book "Good, the Mad and the Ugly" which was actually quite a good read. He's had to deal with a lot of demons in his life, I didn't realise he was involved in management. From memory he was born in Inverness, or certainly brought up that way, so would assume he'd be happy with the final around there.

Hope they find a suitable sizes stadium for it. Inverness would be the choice if they want to maximize crowd. If your going further away best going with smaller compact venue like Stirling which is  reachable by train.  Even Perth or Firhill frankly would be way too big and look too empty and lack atmosphere for a game like this.  

We usually take a couple of thousand to Challenge Cup finals, as they only usually open the two big stands. A 5,000 capacity stadium will be more than enough.

Ha, hold it in Inverness to maximise attendance? Imagine some Scottish side  - Hibs or someone - played West Ham  in the UEFA Cup, and I (an Englishman) told you that both legs should take place in London to maximise attendance .... I’d be called out as a condescending English p***k in no time. Rightly so.

Now look at it this way for you it’s a diddy cup final where the Scottish side are firm favourites. For Connah’s Quay it’s probably the biggest day in the club’s history and is likely to remain that way for a very long time, regardless of the result. Who cares they’re not that big by Scottish Championship standards? Let folks have their day in the sun. One of the best moments I’ve had at any football game was seeing the Dumbarton fans at last years semi final. I’ve been to a few semi finals supporting my club, Aston Villa, and you could tell they were having the same sort of day as I did then, it was magic. Great fans, that Dumbarton lot were. 

Anyroad, just saying that maybe football would be better if we considered all clubs big and small , not just chased £££

Edited by algy

Ha, hold it in Inverness to maximise attendance? Imagine some Scottish side  - Hibs or someone - played West Ham  in the UEFA Cup, and I (an Englishman) told you that both legs should take place in London to maximise attendance .... I’d be called out as a condescending English p***k in no time. Rightly so.
Now look at it this way for you it’s a diddy cup final where the Scottish side are firm favourites. For Connah’s Quay it’s probably the biggest day in the club’s history and is likely to remain that way for a very long time, regardless of the result. Who cares they’re not that big by Scottish Championship standards? Let folks have their day in the sun. One of the best moments I’ve had at any football game was seeing the Dumbarton fans at last years semi final. I’ve been to a few semi finals supporting my club, Aston Villa, and you could tell they were having the same sort of day as I did then, it was magic. Great fans, that Dumbarton lot were. 
Anyroad, just saying that maybe football would be better if we considered all clubs big and small , not just chased £££
It's a Scottish competition so the final is going to be played in Scotland anyway. May as well play it in Inverness.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Seemingly the semi final against Edinburgh City was by far the biggest day in the club's history, so yeah, this.

Hopefully County stick out their strongest XI and hammer them.

They won the Welsh Cup for the first time  last year - if they rate a Challenge Cup semi final as bigger than that it's hilarious. 

They won the Welsh Cup for the first time  last year - if they rate a Challenge Cup semi final as bigger than that it's hilarious. 

Not really - Welsh Cup is the same teams I assume they play in Welsh League so a semi final in an international competition could readily be viewed as a bigger deal seen from their perspective

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not really - Welsh Cup is the same teams I assume they play in Welsh League so a semi final in an international competition could readily be viewed as a bigger deal seen from their perspective

The winner of the cup also gets to the Europa league - surely a big deal?

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Don't know the actual amount of expenses paid out to the various teams for travel between countries but it must be a decent amount which could have stayed in the prize pot & in Scottish football rather than have it disappear in needless travel. 

Depends on how much additional revenue is generated by the TV deals in other countries. There's a chance you take that away and there's no extra money for Scottish teams.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Depends on how much additional revenue is generated by the TV deals in other countries. There's a chance you take that away and there's no extra money for Scottish teams.

Fair enough, do they take it anywhere else than the Welsh channel. Be interesting to know the actual figures for outlay & income

On 16/02/2019 at 22:40, cowdenbeath said:

Apparently the Welsh mobs biggest ever crowd 1068 and that's a side top of the Welsh League:lol:

I think a few must have come from Chester as there was a guy at the Chester v Boston match who said he was going to go and there would have been a few from Wrexham as well. 

The big(gish) town near Connah's Quay is called Shotton. On being asked about the local hostelries the taxi driver told the City fans I was with "Don't go to the Clywd- it's full of slags..". It didn't look the worst pub I've ever been in but I dare say the possibility of getting a pool cue wrapped about one's napper was high. We had a pint in the nearby Wotherspoons (boo!). 

In a drunken state I gave my City hat to a drunk local bird with an overbit like a Simpsons character. I regretted it later- my heid was cold. I also met the Mayor of Flintshire. Which was nice. 

Connah's reminded me of a Junior side. One guy with a bit of skill, one guy that can launch the ball into the box and 8 cloggers. 

The referee reminded me of a lower Junior ref... :angry: 

Ach, it wouldn't have been City without finding a new way of f*cking a cup up.  

If the final is likely to have a crowd of around 2000, why don’t the SPFL try to help East Fife recoup some of the money wasted on the trip to Dublin by playing the game at Bayview ? By offering hospitality packages and bar takings, I’m sure they could recover some of the costs of travelling to Dublin for the game that was never going to go ahead.

Neil Doncaster was recently quoted as being willing to enter into discussions about compensating East Fife fans who went to Dublin. Not an easy thing to do, so why don’t they just send a cheque for £25000 - £30000 to the Club (an average of around £50 per person who travelled) I’m pretty sure most fans would accept that and would feel that as long as the money is going to help the club, they’d be happy to forego personal compensation. Come on SPFL, do the right thing for a change !!

2 minutes ago, Bayviewboy said:

If the final is likely to have a crowd of around 2000, why don’t the SPFL try to help East Fife recoup some of the money wasted on the trip to Dublin by playing the game at Bayview ? By offering hospitality packages and bar takings, I’m sure they could recover some of the costs of travelling to Dublin for the game that was never going to go ahead.

Neil Doncaster was recently quoted as being willing to enter into discussions about compensating East Fife fans who went to Dublin. Not an easy thing to do, so why don’t they just send a cheque for £25000 - £30000 to the Club (an average of around £50 per person who travelled) I’m pretty sure most fans would accept that and would feel that as long as the money is going to help the club, they’d be happy to forego personal compensation. Come on SPFL, do the right thing for a change !!

9 hours ago, Bayviewboy said:

That seems like a sensible suggestion, so there is no way the SPFL will go with that.