2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

I don't think it's too mental for a fan to not be in love with the prospect of the club they support losing out financially because of this. If the costs are covered as SD stipulated earlier I'm sure KK will be one of the first to be uploading his #mandatoryairportpint photo to Instagram in a few weeks time before he boards to cross that narrow sea.

^^^ this!!!

But as Real Madrid says, if Bohemians beat us are the going to be allowed to put another teams nose out and rearrange fixture dates which they may have too, as I would imagine the LoI would be telling them to do one if they try to get out of a league fixture on the opening weekend of the season???

Well this is pretty farcical. The Irish clubs knew the round dates when they entered (or should have done). If they couldn't play on those dates they shouldn't enter. I can see East Fife being asked to shift to a different weekend for this which is a bit of a nonsense but not the end of the world. If they are asked to play midweek that's ridiculous and should be resisted as far as possible. However, if Bohemians have no players registered at the actual round date then presumably East Fife will have to actually agree to bring forward or Bohemians will need to scratch which makes a mockery of things. Will await developments with interest.
Hard to believe nobody thought of this before now.

You would hope that common sense would prevail as it just so happens that in three of the next 4 weeks we're playing the other Top 4 teams in our Division and they won't be wanting to scratch any Saturday's and pile up any midweek ties for the same reason that we don't. It's just far to tight in our league at the moment and that is the bread and butter not this cup competition!!!
Especially when Arbroath and Raith "allegedly" fielded teams to, not so much get out of the cup but to perhaps ensure their non-involvement in it any further!!!

28 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Especially when Arbroath and Raith "allegedly" fielded teams to, not so much get out of the cup but to perhaps ensure their non-involvement in it any further!!!

They weren't trying to lose their cup match but they were trying to make sure they weren't in the cup any more? How does that work?

They weren't trying to lose their cup match but they were trying to make sure they weren't in the cup any more? How does that work?

Sshhh don't tell anyone, but what you do is put 11 players on the park but make sure that they're not the same ones that have been steamrolling over their usual League opposition over the previous weeks and say that you are resting some of them, job done but it's a secret so keep it to yourself!!!

IMG_4385.jpg

As far as I'm concerned the tie is set for the wkend 17/18th Nov, if Bohemians can't play that date we will/should receive a bye to Semi Finals. All clubs should have known the dates and if they can't play should the Scottish clubs bend over backwards for them? It's not like the non Scottish teams got a bye in the 1st round either is it? Fook me this cluster f**k of a tourney just gets better and better!

20 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Sshhh don't tell anyone, but what you do is put 11 players on the park but make sure that they're not the same ones that have been steamrolling over their usual League opposition over the previous weeks and say that you are resting some of them, job done but it's a secret so keep it to yourself!!!

Hardly fixing the match so they go out as you originally suggested. You register a squad at the start of the season and you're fit to use it as you wish. East Fife could've played their reserves against Queens if you wished.

"Fixing" is a very strong word, which I didn't use!!!

Let's just say they used their squad to its full potential not really giving a f**k if they went through or not, that's probably fairer!!!

East Fife heads gone everywhere:lol:

While this is amusing...
Well this is pretty farcical. The Irish clubs knew the round dates when they entered (or should have done). If they couldn't play on those dates they shouldn't enter. I can see East Fife being asked to shift to a different weekend for this which is a bit of a nonsense but not the end of the world. If they are asked to play midweek that's ridiculous and should be resisted as far as possible. However, if Bohemians have no players registered at the actual round date then presumably East Fife will have to actually agree to bring forward or Bohemians will need to scratch which makes a mockery of things. Will await developments with interest.
Hard to believe nobody thought of this before now.

...Bohemians really haven’t thought very hard about this and the fault lies with them...

So the summary is; SPFL are a clusterfuck. News just in....

... So it’s hard to blame the SPFL...

Your first team should horse a bunch of kids.

County have been playing their bit part players in this cup, but yeah, they have to be happy with that.

31 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

"Fixing" is a very strong word, which I didn't use!!!

Let's just say they used their squad to its full potential not really giving a f**k if they went through or not, that's probably fairer!!!

You didn't use the word but you suggested that they put out a team to lose, which is pretty much fixing it. Nothing was stopping East Fife "using their squad to its full potential" in the last round either.

You didn't use the word but you suggested that they put out a team to lose, which is pretty much fixing it. Nothing was stopping East Fife "using their squad to its full potential" in the last round either.

No I didn't, you know what I said, you even went out of your way to highlight it in bold...
Especially when Arbroath and Raith "allegedly" fielded teams to, not so much get out of the cup but to perhaps ensure their non-involvement in it any further

Allegedly, not so much and perhaps ensure are the words I used, not "fixing" or "putting out a team to lose"!!!
You and I both know from personal experience this season that if Arbroath had had any serious intentions of progressing in this cup they are more than good enough to blow Edinburgh City out of the water, Raith were able to hide it better as they were playing a team from a higher division and are actually not as good as they think they are!!![emoji23]
As for us doing the same, you're right we could have and a few fans on here, myself included wanted them to do that , but they didn't, we won because our starting 11 is good and now look what's that's got us!!!

What an absolute shambles ! No way will East Fife want to play a week earlier (10th Nov) with a home local derby against Raith and no doubt a full hospitality booking. If East Fife are forced to change the date, maybe even to play midweek, then Bohemians should be forced to give up home advantage and be forced to come to Bayview. The dates have been set for long enough and Bohemians must have known when their season finishes and whether their players are in or out of contract. Does this mean they want the game played before the end of their season on 26th Oct ? If so then the game would have to be played this Saturday or next midweek. The SPFL must support their member clubs and tell Bohemians that the game will be played on the original play by weekend or force them to give up home advantage if they can negotiate a midweek game at Bayview. I won’t hold my breath as no doubt another mind blowing decision will be made which makes absolutely no sense to anyone !

Well this is the sort of fixture amateurism I never thought I'd see outside the Juniors.

What did Bohemians think when they won at the weekend? They knew their season finished THIS MONTH!!!

Did the SPFL honestly not know that Ireland played over the summer?

I sometimes think criticism of the football authorities is over the top, and then, and then... this.

Well this is the sort of fixture amateurism I never thought I'd see outside the Juniors.
What did Bohemians think when they won at the weekend? They knew their season finished THIS MONTH!!!
Did the SPFL honestly not know that Ireland played over the summer?
I sometimes think criticism of the football authorities is over the top, and then, and then... this.

Not quite sure what the SPFL have done wrong on this particular instance. Bohemians were invited to participate and accepted. Not up to the SPFL to arrange games to suite Bohemians.

Not quite sure what the SPFL have done wrong on this particular instance. Bohemians were invited to participate and accepted. Not up to the SPFL to arrange games to suite Bohemians.
I think we're all expecting the SPFL to bend over for them. If they don't (which they shouldn't) then fair enough but given how they generally operate I won't be surprised if they do.