2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

I’ve changed my view on the Colts debate. Simply pissed off a trip to Sligo has been denied.

On the wider story, I can’t be the only one who’s spotted that several countries around Europe, including Engerlund, have been using a domestic competition with no UEFA qualifiying status for introducing Colts from their top tier teams. It’s not an SPFL initiative. C’mon guys, think about it. So it’ll end when the big nations decide and the SPFL follows.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

They have nothing to add to the competition, bring low crowds and are just used as development of players. A senior competition shouldn't be used for that, they should just stick with playing each other. Plus, I fear this is being used as a way to introduce colt teams in the lower divisions, which would kill lower division football. I can see no proper argument at all for these teams being in the competition in the first place. As I care about lower league football, I'd never go to a game involving any of them and I hope colt teams will be removed from this competition.

So the answer is, there is no reason they ruin the competition.  All but the top end teams in the Championship add f**k all to the competition.  This is a money losing exercise for the SPFL.  

As for colts in the lower leagues, 6 of the top 7 leagues in Europe have at least 1 team in their top 3 (England being the only one without) leagues while 24 of the top 30 do (while another that don't are at the mercy of their bigger neighbours on team selections).  

Good luck with your righteous crusade though as I'm looking foward to seeing how it turns out.   

Edited by Antiochas III

6 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

So the answer is, there is no reason they ruin the competition.  All but the top end teams in the Championship add f**k all to the competition.  This is a money losing exercise for the SPFL.  

As for colts in the lower leagues, 6 of the top 7 leagues in Europe have at least 1 team in their top 3 (England being the only one without) leagues while 24 of the top 30 do (while another that don't are at the mercy of their bigger neighbours on team selections).  

Good luck with your righteous crusade though as I'm looking foward to seeing how it turns out.   

The bold one is already not true, in Germany the last B team got relegated from the 3rd tier last season. They are absolutely despised by lower league fans, who generally feel they don't add anything to the divisions and bring no fans. There are various people in the German game trying to get rid of them. The same goes for The Netherlands, where their introduction in the lower tiers has been extremely unpopular and terrible for the leagues, meaning the clubs are now trying to get rid of them.

But from your post it's quite clear: you don't give a sh!t about the lower divisions, the Premiership is all that counts for you...

45 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

There’s no crusade. Just highlighting this isn’t something Scotland is doing on it’s own.

I feel sorry for people who can only ever see the dark. And fear change. 

40 minutes ago, Marten said:

The bold one is already not true, in Germany the last B team got relegated from the 3rd tier last season. They are absolutely despised by lower league fans, who generally feel they don't add anything to the divisions and bring no fans. There are various people in the German game trying to get rid of them. The same goes for The Netherlands, where their introduction in the lower tiers has been extremely unpopular and terrible for the leagues, meaning the clubs are now trying to get rid of them.

But from your post it's quite clear: you don't give a sh!t about the lower divisions, the Premiership is all that counts for you...

A qualified perspective Marten. Global sport is bending the rules. We saw a European athletics event recently held in two cities in different countries. Soon, there is an international football tournament to be held over several countries. Why? Money. 8 locations means more tickets sold, more sponsorship from each region,  more corporate packages.

Lower league clubs have always been dominated by someone locally. There’s just more sharks in a bigger sea now. Teams who accept this and plan for their future will survive and prosper. Those who long for the past and wail about the injustice of it all will pass away.

40 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A qualified perspective Marten. Global sport is bending the rules. We saw a European athletics event recently held in two cities in different countries. Soon, there is an international football tournament to be held over several countries. Why? Money. 8 locations means more tickets sold, more sponsorship from each region,  more corporate packages.

Lower league clubs have always been dominated by someone locally. There’s just more sharks in a bigger sea now. Teams who accept this and plan for their future will survive and prosper. Those who long for the past and wail about the injustice of it all will pass away.

Let's be very clear: I'm not against change, and I've actually argued for change in Scottish football and elsewhere. Both on P&B and other places, it's safe to say that not everything I say what should change is popular. It's just issues like B-teams I can't stand. That's an example of change that's not for the better. I partly come to that conclusion due to experience in following football on the continent (I used to live in The Netherlands and regularly traveled to Germany, I still follow football in both countries closely).

And when people argue it's worked for Germany (for example): their entire 2014 World Cup winning squad had exactly 1 B-team appearance between them. The real talents generally either get loaned out or get thrown straight in the first team. That's not just how it's used in Germany, but in most other countries with B-teams as well. B-teams often stop young players who are just outside the very top to go to smaller teams, which is neither great for them, nor for the smaller teams.

Edited by Marten

15 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:
14 hours ago, Gordon EF said:
Looking like a fairly open competition now.

Afraid Ross County will stroll it from here.

Oh yeah. They're the obvious favourites. I meant any of the other teams will probably fancy their chances of getting to the final if they can avoid County.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Oh yeah. They're the obvious favourites. I meant any of the other teams will probably fancy their chances of getting to the final if they can avoid County.

We've been playing central midfielders in defence, and inside forwards at full back.  I'm not entirely sure the management team would be devastated if County somehow slip up against Burton Albion colts, or whomever.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

We've been playing central midfielders in defence, and inside forwards at full back.  I'm not entirely sure the management team would be devastated if County somehow slip up against Burton Albion colts, or whomever.

I imagine it suits County to have competitive games to keep the developing and slightly fringey players something like match fit. I'd hope we'll see everyone in the squad playing in the league , on merit, by the end of the season.

(Not all at once, that would be silly - just 11 - 14 at a time.)

5 hours ago, Marten said:

Let's be very clear: I'm not against change, and I've actually argued for change in Scottish football and elsewhere. Both on P&B and other places, it's safe to say that not everything I say what should change is popular. It's just issues like B-teams I can't stand. That's an example of change that's not for the better. I partly come to that conclusion due to experience in following football on the continent (I used to live in The Netherlands and regularly traveled to Germany, I still follow football in both countries closely).

And when people argue it's worked for Germany (for example): their entire 2014 World Cup winning squad had exactly 1 B-team appearance between them.[/b] 

1 appearance in their whole squad...  absolute bullshit.  Starting back 5 (inc Keeper) emassed over a 100...

Manuel Neuer played 29 league games for Schalke II

Philip Lahm 63 league apps for Bayern II

Jermaine Boetang 24 league apps for Hertha II

Matt Hummels 42 league apps for Bayern II

Benedikt Höwedes 15 league apps Schalke II

Edited by Antiochas III

33 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

1 appearance in their whole squad...  absolute bullshit.  Starting back 5 (inc Keeper) emassed over a 100...

Manuel Neuer played 29 league games for Schalke II

Philip Lahm 63 league apps for Bayern II

Jermaine Boetang 24 league apps for Hertha II

Matt Hummels 42 league apps for Bayern II

Benedikt Höwedes 15 league apps Schalke II

I highly doubt that as I've read my information elsewhere. But the rest of my post still stands anyway, B-teams have not proven to benefit player development and the really talented players more often than not go straight into the first team or go on loan. Introducing them in Scotland would be absolutely stupid and would have a vastly negative effect on the Scottish lower divisions.

You can support lower league football or you can support the introduction of B-teams. It's absolutely impossible to support both.

On 14/10/2018 at 11:10, Marten said:

They are absolutely despised by lower league fans, who generally feel they don't add anything to the divisions and bring no fans. There are various people in the German game trying to get rid of them.

Aye, some of our Wattenscheid mates don't even bother with those games. I went to see them play at home to Borussia Monchengladbach Under 23s in April. Absolutely zero away fans there because Monchengladbach's first team were playing the same day.  Atmosphere very subdued compared to other Regionalliga I'd been to. It was like a training match for Wattenscheid which they won easily.  Beer and bratwurst for 4 euros was tremendous mind you :)

Bohemians away next please.

Hope you get your wish, we can do without the disruption and expense of having to play any of the foreign sides and I'm really not interested in, as some seem to see it, the thrill of having a pint in Ireland, would gladly take Motherwell Reserves before one of those sides, Edinburgh City or Alloa at home please if I have to choose!!!

It's still a complete joke of a tournament which is a needless pain in the arse and a blight on the fixture list*!!!

*My opinion may change if we reach the semi's!!!