2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

On 14/09/2018 at 13:44, Nowhereman said:

So the SPFL are paying an English club £10,000 to go and play an Irish club? Makes sense.

IRN-BRU and various TV broadcasters are paying the SPFL to pay an English club to go and play an Irish club.

Edited by craigkillie

Non Premiership SPFL + Highland League/Lowland League Top Flights of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Faroe Islands and Iceland + "National Teams" of Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles and Isle of Man makes 128.

Straight knockout tournament. Six rounds. Make it happen. I want my away day trips to Torshaven, Stornoway, Lerwick and Llandundo.

(ETA: Although I "want" them I know we'll get put out away to Airdrie United in the first round anyway)

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

You have to fly or get a boat to Ireland, which is more expensive than a bus, and it's much more difficult to do it as a day trip because you have to sync up with those timetables.
Nobody is traveling to south England as a day trip, and anyone with any sense doesn't do it on a bus if they are returning the next day.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Comrie said:

Take it County will only open the West Stand the Jailend for the game against Montrose? Weather looks like it'll be pish tomorrow.

I'd imagine so as an EastStand season ticket holder it's a novelty to watch us from elsewhere in the stadium. 

Must admit I my last time in the West stand I missed the hight you have in the East.

Would the Challenge Cup be better IF

Its between all 30 SPFL Clubs (Outside Premier) together with Highland & Lowland teams (34 clubs)
Gives a nice round number of 64 teams involved, And everyone starts in the first round

Like this idea.

On 26/09/2018 at 12:54, mrman2011 said:

Would the Challenge Cup be better IF

Its between all 30 SPFL Clubs (Outside Premier) together with Highland & Lowland teams (34 clubs)

Gives a nice round number of 64 teams involved, And everyone starts in the first round

Well yes, it would. But its fairly doubtful you would find a sponsor for it to cover the loss of the foreign tv monies so it may be uneconomic to run.

Well yes, it would. But its fairly doubtful you would find a sponsor for it to cover the loss of the foreign tv monies so it may be uneconomic to run.
Im pretty sure the competition survived when there was no tv money.

Im sure it will survive without it.

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Im pretty sure the competition survived when there was no tv money.

Im sure it will survive without it.

It survived in the SFL days because they subsidised it from central funds, something the SPFL will not do. It survived post merger because the presence of Rangers and then Hearts and Hibs raised profile and sponsorship. It might raise enough to run domestically, it might not. Its certainly likely the buttons prize money it brings now would be reduced further though. Its barely worthwhile now.