2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's demeaning to ask any club, Scottish or otherwise to play a competitive fixture against another club's Colt side.

Sutton Utd are fair getting hit in the pocket with these draws.

I only hope we progress as it's a good platform to bring in players on the outskirts of the first team and those coming back from injury, other than that I think it's a nonsense competition.

Sutton United got £3,500 travel expenses to go to Airdrie and another £10,000 to go to Bohemians. I would think there are better targets for your travel sympathies.

The prize pot last season was £335,200, can't find this seasons.

With 8 non-Scottish clubs now in the competition the travel expenses giving out must be fairly high. Where does this money come from?

Financially speaking does it even make sense to have these teams in the cup? I know money is received from S4C etc. but if it is just going back out again on travel expenses then what's the point?

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s the logical conclusion for this absurd cup competition. I really hope a non-Scottish team win it. Then the media may do that ‘haud on’ thing they do occasionally and realise what a mad situation it is that a non-Scottish team is winning a Scottish cup competition.

Let's hope Berwick Rangers don't win the Scottish Cup too.

I actually think it's giving Scottish clubs another edge, that determination not to be knocked out by a British/Irish team.  The difference between QP fans and TNS fans when we scored was a mile apart. But you're right, it'll be another dark day in our football history if sassenachs or travellers lift the cup, especially with Barr's the sponsors. London's Other National Drink. Robert Barr will be birling in his grave.

7 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How is it doing well, bar a few hundred using it as an excuse for a piss up?

My liver and wallet suffered at Borehamwood.  Health and finances not doing well.

Edited by parslad

I actually think it's giving Scottish clubs another edge, that determination not to be knocked out by a British/Irish team.  The difference between QP fans and TNS fans when we scored was a mile apart. But you're right, it'll be another dark day in our football history if sassenachs or travellers lift the cup, especially with Barr's the sponsors. London's Other National Drink. Robert Barr will be birling in his grave.
Weirdly its that aspect of the competition i like. If queens cant win it then i would rather a scottish club win it than a foreign one. I really enjoyed the semi finals last year because that was a possibility. I wouldnt be distraught if say tns won it but, for me, better a scottish club win it.

2 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Arbroath vs Edinburgh City and Connah’s Quay vs Coleraine have been chosen as live TV games.

The Welsh (C4S) have always televised these games when they're at home.  They seem to take the tournament a lot more seriously than Alba.  I would have thought Pars v Wasps was a better contest than the Gayfield one but good to see them getting some coverage for a change.

17 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
18 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Weirdly its that aspect of the competition i like. If queens cant win it then i would rather a scottish club win it than a foreign one. I really enjoyed the semi finals last year because that was a possibility. I wouldnt be distraught if say tns won it but, for me, better a scottish club win it.

Agreed. Usually I wouldn't give a monkeys about The Spiders Challenge Cup crusades but was keeping an eye on their game v TNS because there was a bit of misplaced nationalism involved.

And, as always, Scotland was the moral winner v the English (but also the actual winner this time)

On 9/12/2018 at 16:40, Skyline Drifter said:

Sutton United got £3,500 travel expenses to go to Airdrie and another £10,000 to go to Bohemians. I would think there are better targets for your travel sympathies.

So the SPFL are paying an English club £10,000 to go and play an Irish club? Makes sense.

The Welsh (C4S) have always televised these games when they're at home.  They seem to take the tournament a lot more seriously than Alba.  I would have thought Pars v Wasps was a better contest than the Gayfield one but good to see them getting some coverage for a change.

It’s hard to tell what ties will be better because alot of clubs don’t really takes it seriously, our winger Denholm, who calls it the jobbies cup said the team were actually talking about throwing the midweek game up in Elgin to get some free Saturdays.

Dunfermline v Alloa might sound like more of a competitive tie on paper but either or could use it to give guys games.

Professionalism, an easy draw and the fact that we throw on everyone who doesn’t usually get a game has seen us cruise through to this stage though and we’ll probably be in the quarters.

I play football Friday’s and don’t make the effort for Irn Bru Cup games anyway because I really dislike the competition but it’ll be enjoyable to record the game on Alba and come home and watch it afterwards.

On 12/09/2018 at 17:06, Jack Burton said:

The prize pot last season was £335,200, can't find this seasons.

With 8 non-Scottish clubs now in the competition the travel expenses giving out must be fairly high. Where does this money come from?

Financially speaking does it even make sense to have these teams in the cup? I know money is received from S4C etc. but if it is just going back out again on travel expenses then what's the point?

Yes, the fact this promotes Irn Bru beyond Scotland's borders must have played no part in the decision and has no influence on the amount of sponsorship the SPFL receive.