2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

The amount of money given to clubs for travelling definitely needs looked at but I’ve got to be honest and say that I’m getting a little sick of all the moaning about costs. Championship clubs complaining is ridiculous.

I’m sorry but if you can afford to have a squad full of professional footballers you can afford to send them to England for the night.

It’s a bit more understandable to hear grumbles from smaller clubs but on the same note, I’m sure it’s do-able on the money given by the SPFL with a few cost saving measures such as the ones suggested above and players sharing rooms etc.

Opinions are split but it seems there is a fair share of fans that like the inclusion of the foreign teams, myself included. We should enjoy the positive fact that it’s something different and produces some fantastic away days!

There are plenty of footballing nations far bigger geographically than Scotland/UK that have small teams who have to travel long distances occasionally, especially for cup competitions. Get over it.

Colt teams on the other hand....

GTF
If the SPFL had set this up as a new competition then i would have been fine with that.

Could easily have a cross border Challenge cup with Championship, Rep Irish, Northern Irish, Welsh and English National teams.

And have a cup for teams in League 1, 2, HL and LL. Hell even colts may be acceptable here.

If the money isnt enough to cover the expenses of travelling then it isnt enough. The size of club is irrelevant.
Moaning about it when you chose to fly as Dunfermline did this year and Falkirk did last however just weakens your argument.

A full time club has nothing to moan about full stop. It’s not unreasonable to expect a club of that level to make a journey of 4-600 miles occasionally. They’re actually lucky to get any money for it. How much do Queens get for travelling to Dingwall?

Expecting a part time Highland league side to travel to the London area is a bit different imo because their relative budget/cash flow is so much smaller. Having said that, the money given should be more sufficient for them as part time footballers surely can’t expect to travel in the same “luxury” as full time pros. And as others have said you don’t actually have to stay in or even around London. Just coach in for the game itself from your out of city Travelodge.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

I don’t feel LOI teams should be invited in next season as the respect for the tournament doesn’t seem to be there so surely Highland or Lowland league teams should there instead!!

I think you’re missing it friend. This thread started and has continued by discussing Colts etc and their value. Their value is the brand they represent, especially the ugly sisters, and the potential advertising and betting which stokes up the tv money. The continentals are only involved because of tv rights. That’s why they are seeded to make sure they’re all involved against a Scottish team. So now there’s 5 tv companies instead of one chipping in the pot. SPFL don’t give a shit who wins or loses as long as the till is ringing. In a global market football everywhere is all about the money. Nothing to do with youth development. With clubs like yours allowed to choose in or out you have to wonder how long it can last. 

Next season it might be the Faroes and Iceland. 

Faroese and Icelandic clubs next year please. Throw in the representative teams of Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles and Isle of Man in while yer at it.

Get the Colts tae f**k.

The sooner this becomes a cup for the insular nations of the North Atlantic the better. Nuuk away on a cold Tuesday night? Ideal.

On 9/8/2018 at 22:36, Marten said:

Agreed. I'd quite like this to become a UK/Ireland semi pro competition (ok, there are full time sides in the Scottish Championship & English National League, but still). Say take the 30 lower division SPFL sides + HL/LL + Wales + ROI + NI + National League = 124 teams. Either give out 4 byes or add some teams like representatives from Isle of Man, Orkney, Shetland & Western Isles to make it 128. Could be a very interesting tournament.

I agree with you, hope it is expanded - but that might be a step too far IMO.  Maybe 4 Welsh/Northern Irish sides would work at a push, but you'd perhaps have limited interest once a side's making their third trip down to Wales that season to play some amateur/university side.  Glad of the Welsh sides being in it, though - it's really good for the game here, can see it allowing the game to improve substantially in the long term.  Just on that basis, it's a really superb gesture from the Scottish league to invite the Welsh clubs.  Imagine the same can be said from our Irish cousins.