2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

58 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I'm sure you brought around 1000 to St Mirren the season you were hammering all the diddies in League One and we were bottom of the table. We won 4-0.

We could have actually, I think with us getting a bit bored of dishing out pumpings with nae atmosphere a trip to St Mirren seemed quite nice. 

I still didn't go, doubt I'll go to any more games in it unless we're away to another foreign side. 

35 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Here, what about the paddies?

Completely forgotten, and they're decent. 

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I'm sure you brought around 1000 to St Mirren the season you were hammering all the diddies in League One and we were bottom of the table. We won 4-0.

Cheers for reminding me. We had a decent support through and got totally gubbed. Eight would have been a fairer reflection.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I see the Saltire v Butcher’s Apron (modified) ratio entirely consistent with life in modern Scotland. Borehamwood has 31000 people and a full-time professional league team at tier 6 in England. About the same as SPFL Championship, sadly. Very good result for The Pars.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for a team from outwith Scotland to lift this trophy,  certainly English teams from way down the leagues can support full time players & have crowds etc that teams here at a much higher level would bite your hand off for.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hasn't had much mention but Formartine, who haven't had a great start, taking Coleraine to penalties was a bit of an achievement.

Agree with that thought they might get a hiding but to take them all the way was very good, pity their penalty taking let them down, one scored out of five not so good.

1 hour ago, peternapper said:

Will be interesting to see how long it takes for a team from outwith Scotland to lift this trophy,  certainly English teams from way down the leagues can support full time players & have crowds etc that teams here at a much higher level would bite your hand off for.

If Norm Iron and Rep of Ireland put their top teams in it it wouldn't be long. Linfield, Cliftonville, Crusaders and Dundalk, Cork City and say Shamrock Rovers are a big step above what they have in it now.  Cork and Dundalk would be a step above all those too.

Irn Bru Scottish Challenge Cup
Queen of the South 4-3 Crusaders
Palmerston Park, Dumfries
Admission £15, programme £1.50, food available
Attendance: 1204 (156 away)

The Irn Bru Challenge Cup is much derided these days, and as much as I despise the inclusion of Premiership clubs' U21 ('colts') teams, I have warmed to the fact that teams from elsewhere in the British Isles have been allowed to take part.
There were a number of Scottish v foreign clashes today, and I thought about Peterhead v Bohemians before settling on the shorter journey to one of my favourite Scottish League grounds.
Palmerston has classic floodlighting on high corner pylons and the biggest terrace left in Scotland, so it's always a ground I enjoy visiting. People who like to sit down are also well catered for, with old and new(er) stands on either side of the park.
I opted for the Portland Drive end, a deep covered terrace which offers a good view of the game, which for most of the first half was up the other end with home side Queens dominating.
Last week, they destroyed erstwhile Championship leaders with a five goal first half; this week Northern Irish champions Crusaders were blown away with four goals inside the first half hour.
At the centre of things was Stephen Dobbie, whose two well taken goals bumped his season's tally up to twenty already. He worked well with the tall Lyndon Dykes, who also helped himself to a goal. Pulling the midfield strings was Gary Harkins, another scorer, who I thought was starting to look past it in Morton colours last year, but who seems to have a new lease of life with the Doonhamers.
Crusaders forced Queens keeper Alan Martin into a fine early double save and also hit the bar, but they were outclassed in the first half, and were ultimately lucky that Queens missed a couple of other excellent goalscoring opportunities.
It looked like game over at the halfway stage, but two goals early in the second half - the second a penalty - gave the Belfast side hope and when they scored a third near the end, an unlikely comeback looked like a district possibility. Queens were pedestrian throughout the half and almost paid the price, but despite a couple of anxious moments very late on, they saw the game out to progress to Tuesday's third round draw. They look as good a bet as anyone to lift the trophy.
With the sun out for most of the game, Palmerston was the perfect spot in which to enjoy an exciting cup tie.
I was driving today so no opportunity to sample the bars of Dumfries town centre, but I did nip into the Queen of the South Arena adjacent to the ground for a look. This building was a supermarket for a while after Queens sold their car park, but they have acquired it back. It includes indoor training pitches and a cafe.
Programmes were on sale at £1.50, a thinner effort than is produced for league matches but not bad.
Food is on sale from a hatch at the back of the terracing when I stood as well as elsewhere in the ground; scotch pies were decent. Chips, macaroni pies, bridies and sausage rolls were also available but not sampled.

7 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

If Norm Iron and Rep of Ireland put their top teams in it it wouldn't be long. Linfield, Cliftonville, Crusaders and Dundalk, Cork City and say Shamrock Rovers are a big step above what they have in it now.  Cork and Dundalk would be a step above all those too.

Eh ! The two best teams in NI were in it !

14 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I know nothing whatsoever about Eire footy(a bit like you I suspect) but tell me why you think Northern Irelands representitives ,crusaders and coleraine, were invited to participate this year.

We've seen off Linfield and Crusaders in the last two seasons. I can't see an Irish side winning it any time soon. More likely TNS tbh.

7 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

I know nothing whatsoever about Eire footy(a bit like you I suspect) but tell me why you think Northern Irelands representitives ,crusaders and coleraine, were invited to participate this year.

No need to be a dick, I know plenty about Eire footie.. Just saying Dundalk and Cork City and maybe Rovers are head and shoulders above what's been sent over and if they took it seriously unlike Bohs and Sligo they would be there or there abouts every year.  I didn't realise Crusaders we're in it..

3 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

No need to be a dick, I know plenty about Eire footie.. Just saying Dundalk and Cork City and maybe Rovers are head and shoulders above what's been sent over and if they took it seriously unlike Bohs and Sligo they would be there or there abouts every year.  I didn't realise Crusaders we're in it..

Coleraine have second spot in NI at the moment and it took them penalties at home to beat a struggling Highland League team, who could only draw with perpetually second bottom  Strathspey Thistle the other week.

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

They keep moving the goalposts with this competition, thought originally the idea for teams outwith Scotland was basically teams that had not qualified for Europe that season but may wrong as it seems to change with the wind now

That was never the case. The Northern Irish and Welsh entrants have always been the top two teams. Roi send their best two teams which haven't qualified for Europe because there is more of a chance that those sides might reach the group stages, or at least the play-off round, of a European competition.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Coleraine have second spot in NI at the moment and it took them penalties at home to beat a struggling Highland League team, who could only draw with perpetually second bottom  Strathspey Thistle the other week.

It's 4 games in. Norm Iron league is a step down from the rep of Ireland league. Dundalk knocked out an Estonion team in the Europa this season and only a few seasons back made the group stages as have Rovers. I'm not saying they would stroll it but would be there or there abouts. 

17 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

It's 4 games in. Norm Iron league is a step down from the rep of Ireland league. Dundalk knocked out an Estonion team in the Europa this season and only a few seasons back made the group stages as have Rovers. I'm not saying they would stroll it but would be there or there abouts. 

They came 2nd last season. Even Drogheda beat that Estonian team, they're really not very good.