2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

13 minutes ago, Afro said:

Not too dissimilar from us last year against TNS. Punted to the late Sunday afternoon slot which was fairly shit tbh.

I imagine confirmation will be given after tomorrow night’s game but off-hand, what times have games involving RoI teams kicked off over there? Can vaguely remember Falkirk playing Sligo at 7.45 on the Saturday but can’t be 100% sure.

Yeah Sligo's match against Falkirk was Saturday 7:45pm so I'd imagine it'll be the same with Sligo this season?

1 hour ago, virginton said:

There is absolutely no reason why anyone would have to stay in London when the game finishes at 2:45 - 3:15 at the latest on a Saturday afternoon.  Travel down and have a piss-up on the Friday - stay overnight - go to the game and continue the piss-up on the journey back on Saturday evening.

Won't somebody think of the fans!!!!111!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan. Exactly what I'm doing. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

7.35 for the QP on a Saturday night just for the TV.  Pish..  I hope QP get some cash, preferably enough to pay for taxis for the people bowling off the bus at 3 in the morning.

They must be so glad they never get in Europe. All those evening kick-offs! Shambles!!!!

10 hours ago, WATTOO said:

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ridiculous. So any Pars fans wanting to travel on the day would have to leave at around 5am or most likely spend two nights down there.

I struggle to find the enthusiasm to travel 5 minutes to Palmerston for a CC game. Fair play to those who head down for this.

As someone who's getting a train at 6 ish from Newcastle I'm buzzing, I've got work on the Friday so I'll be staying on the Saturday night, meeting up with a couple of friends from London. 

If it was at EEP I probably wouldn't have went. 

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

TNS v Queen's Park confirmed for 7:35pm on Saturday night, live on S4C.

Is this live on PremierSports, to suit Dunfermline, or so home fans can more easily make England-Spain?

Also I see they're trialling an electronic ticketing system for the first time at this tie, with fans advised to buy and print-at-home in advance. Physical tickets bought on the day will be £2 extra.

It's so that the team can get back up on a Saturday, if it was a 3 o clock kick off then there's no guarantee if it had went to extra time and penalties they would have gotten back... 

Edited by Grant228

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Saturday games - 3:00pm. Football’s gone downhill since ko times have moved from then.

Those were the days, eh? You'd have a job getting from the factory gates at lunchtime down to Wales for a 3pm kick-off, mind you. And you'd have to be back for church on the Sunday, too.

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Those were the days, eh? You'd have a job getting from the factory gates at lunchtime down to Wales for a 3pm kick-off, mind you. And you'd have to be back for church on the Sunday, too.

Yes but life was simpler. Big square goalposts; small boys getting a lift over the turnstile; bigger boys crawling under turnstiles; wooden rattles; the waft of pipe baccy; collecting ginger bottles to trade at the wee corner shop for some Chelsea Whoppers.  The excitement of getting the green paper and seeing all the scores, including your school's from that morning. A fish tea and then Saturday Night at the Palladium. Lovely!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

On 18/08/2018 at 21:18, relichtie said:

The name of this cup is/was the SCOTTISH Challenge Cup. There's no mention there of Welsh, Irish or English clubs.

I'll just paste back in my reply from the last time you made this exact (incorrect) post.

On 05/06/2018 at 10:52, craigkillie said:

It's not called the "Scottish Challenge Cup" though.  It's called the "Scottish Professional Football League Challenge Cup" (previously Scottish Football League Challenge Cup).  Under your strict rules of taking the name literally, that would mean that no Highland League or Lowland League clubs could enter either, since they are not part of the SPFL.

However, what the name actually means is that it is a "Challenge Cup" organised by the Scottish Professional Football League.  They can invite whichever clubs they feel like into the tournament subject to obtaining permission from the SFA plus whichever leagues/FAs the invited clubs play under.  At first, these invitations were extended to Highland League clubs, then to Lowland League clubs, then to clubs from Wales and Northern Ireland, then to clubs from the Republic of Ireland, and now to clubs from England.

460   Livingston 'B' v Forfar [rearranged]

Preliminary
   399   Fraserburgh v Inverurie
c147   BSCG v East Stirlingshire

First Round
1,046  Inverness v Dunfermline
   834   Queen's Park v Ayr
   700   Dundee Utd v St Johnstone 'B'
   680   Dumbarton v Morton
   636   Rangers 'B' v Falkirk
   496   Peterhead v Brechin
   480   Stranraer v Partick
   479   Raith v Aberdeen 'B'
   460   Livingston 'B' v Forfar [rearranged]
   420   Cove v Montrose
   401   Elgin v Arbroath
   387   Stenhousemuir v Queen of the South
   344   Hearts 'B' v Ross County
   332   Alloa v Stirling Albion
   317   Berwick v Airdrie
   297   Hamilton 'B' v Clyde
   266   Annan v Celtic 'B'
   261   Cowdenbeath v East Fife
 c250  Livingston 'B' v Forfar [abandoned]
   208   Kilmarnock 'B' v St Mirren 'B'
   207   East Kilbride v Spartans
   191   Dundee 'B' v Hibs 'B'
   182   Edinburgh City v Albion Rovers
   150   East Stirlingshire v Motherwell 'B'
    tbc    Inverurie v Formartine

On 21/08/2018 at 19:39, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yes but life was simpler. Big square goalposts; small boys getting a lift over the turnstile; bigger boys crawling under turnstiles; wooden rattles; the waft of pipe baccy; collecting ginger bottles to trade at the wee corner shop for some Chelsea Whoppers.  The excitement of getting the green paper and seeing all the scores, including your school's from that morning. A fish tea and then Saturday Night at the Palladium. Lovely!

Spot on! You know the score, my man. Add in a “double double” of Whyte and Mackay tanned down at the swing park and you have the classic Saturday.