2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

Part time, All our players work, nowhere near the team we were 10 years ago. Only player of note that some might recognize on the team is Shane Supple who was First choice keeper for keane at Ipswich until he became disillusioned with English football and gave it up!

Not had European football for 6 years so our fans treating this as an excuse for a piss up  with the draw away to Peterhead not putting them off, should still be decent number regardless of the effort! 

LOI is coming into the final third of the season and with the fixtures coming up doubt Bohs will go with a full strength squad so if a betting man back Peterhead.

With St Pats rejecting the offer I’d say this will prob be last year Irish teams be in it

whats the prize money for winning it??? Or getting to final? Not that our teams would get to it 

We had Supple on loan for a bit. There's a good article online about him where he states his time with us was his most enjoyable in the game. Having to make his own pieces etc.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Part time, All our players work, nowhere near the team we were 10 years ago. Only player of note that some might recognize on the team is Shane Supple who was First choice keeper for keane at Ipswich until he became disillusioned with English football and gave it up!

Not had European football for 6 years so our fans treating this as an excuse for a piss up  with the draw away to Peterhead not putting them off, should still be decent number regardless of the effort! 

LOI is coming into the final third of the season and with the fixtures coming up doubt Bohs will go with a full strength squad so if a betting man back Peterhead.

With St Pats rejecting the offer I’d say this will prob be last year Irish teams be in it

whats the prize money for winning it??? Or getting to final? Not that our teams would get to it 

Apparently there could be a possible fixture clash if Bohemians get through in their own cup competition which could mean our tie being moved which would not help anyone. Could not see a breakdown of how much clubs get for reaching each round but overall prize money last year was around £330,000. Also says clubs having to travel to another country get £5000 to help with travel expense's presume this includes clubs travelling to Scotland as well as our clubs going the other way. 

I see TNS were playing in the 3rf round of Europa League qualifying last night. Doesn't make them Real Madrid, but what the f**k is a Welsh team playing at that standard doing in a competition for Scottish lower league teams?

Whole competition is just a farce now, all being done to establish cross border competition so the SPFL can get Rangrs & Celtic into the English league set up.

1 hour ago, peternapper said:

Apparently there could be a possible fixture clash if Bohemians get through in their own cup competition which could mean our tie being moved which would not help anyone. Could not see a breakdown of how much clubs get for reaching each round but overall prize money last year was around £330,000. Also says clubs having to travel to another country get £5000 to help with travel expense's presume this includes clubs travelling to Scotland as well as our clubs going the other way. 

Those numbers are, as you say, last years. They have been changed. Particularly, the travel grant is very different now. It's bigger for crossing to or from Ireland and lower for England / Wales (non existent if you are Queen of the South or Annan going to Wales ).

9 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

I see TNS were playing in the 3rf round of Europa League qualifying last night. Doesn't make them Real Madrid, but what the f**k is a Welsh team playing at that standard doing in a competition for Scottish lower league teams?

Whole competition is just a farce now, all being done to establish cross border competition so the SPFL can get Rangrs & Celtic into the English league set up.

Without particularly disagreeing with the "farce" bit, TNS reaching that stage doesn't make them any great shakes. They are a similar quality to Scottish Championship sides. In the last two seasons they've beaten Livingston and ourselves on penalties, and lost to Dumbarton and St Mirren. Having watched the games against Livingston and us, they probably should have lost both of them before penalties, and had home advantage in all but the St Mirren one (they did win 3-0 away at Livingston the same year as the St Mirren loss but Livi were League One that season).

I've not seen them yet obviously but I'd have thought Sutton United and Boreham Wood may be a step up in quality again this year.

20 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
20 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:
Queens Park away to TNS, I wonder if that will be shown on S4C, if so likely to be a Sunday afternoon.

It almost certainly will be shown. If you watch on TV they usually do English or welsh commentary. I think that option is unavailable on iplayer though.

Aye, Ive  watched a few of their games on it since they joined the tournament. The biased commentary from the Welsh would almost embarrass Clive Tyldesley!

Also they were spouting some garbage about how Livingston were top of the Championship in Scotland when they were in fact still in League One.

1 hour ago, JT1867 said:

Shock, Horror thought it was all to turn our 21 year olds that cant get a game for their teams into world beaters!

1 hour ago, JT1867 said:

Wouldn't read too much into TNS been in the 3rd round of EL. They had the luxury of been seeded in the CL 1st round due to them winning their league every season and winning at least one  tie in Europe cos they always started in a round earlier than Irish and Northern Irish teams, drawing Faroe or San Marino opposition. They lost in the first round to a Macedonian team and due to the  new Champions path in the EL they fell back into the 2nd round where they were drawn against a Gibraltar team.  

They are a good team in a bad league, will prob do the best out of all the invited teams cos they will take it that lil bit more serious. Wankers though, we have unfinished Business with them.

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wouldn't read too much into TNS been in the 3rd round of EL. They had the luxury of been seeded in the CL 1st round due to them winning their league every season and winning at least one  tie in Europe cos they always started in a round earlier than Irish and Northern Irish teams, drawing Faroe or San Marino opposition. They lost in the first round to a Macedonian team and due to the  new Champions path in the EL they fell back into the 2nd round where they were drawn against a Gibraltar team.  

They are a good team in a bad league, will prob do the best out of all the invited teams cos they will take it that lil bit more serious. Wankers though, we have unfinished Business with them.

Who's we?

To be honest i think there’s a lot more weight to the argument that this is an attempt to force colts into the league than an attempt to get Rangers and Celtic into England.

And in any case, cross border competition could help the whole of our game if done in the right way. (Not a debate for this thread.) Whereas colts playing in a senior competition just undermines our lower league game and I despise it.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Those numbers are, as you say, last years. They have been changed. Particularly, the travel grant is very different now. It's bigger for crossing to or from Ireland and lower for England / Wales (non existent if you are Queen of the South or Annan going to Wales ).

So is the exclusion of Queens and Annan based on distance to travel? Seems outrageous, I'm wondering who thought the exception was a good rule - is it the same in reverse for Welsh teams playing in Dumfries. Did we do an overnight stay when we played there last year?

22 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I won't be going because it's a glorified friendly against a non-league side from England.

All power to those who make the trip down but it doesn't mean I was wrong when I said Scotland has a massive problem with alcohol.

1504252538093.jpg.0d1dbb287064f51d1650ab136ffd2901.jpg

What an absolute fucking loser you are. Definitely OFTW.

7 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

So is the exclusion of Queens and Annan based on distance to travel? Seems outrageous, 

Seems perfectly sensible tbh. 

The New Saints are 3 and a half hours away from Dumfries with, with CQN even closer at just over three, why on earth would you be given travelling expenses for a trip that short?

It's four and a half hours upto Dingwall, four hours upto Inverness, 2 hours 50 upto Dundee etc. I'm not sure on travelling expenses from the SPFL but I can't remember Qots fans throwing a tizzy before about whether or not they get travelling expenses for that trip. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Seems perfectly sensible tbh. 

The New Saints are 3 and a half hours away from Dumfries with, with CQN even closer at just over three, why on earth would you be given travelling expenses for a trip that short?

It's four and a half hours upto Dingwall, four hours upto Inverness, 2 hours 50 upto Dundee etc. I'm not sure on travelling expenses from the SPFL but I can't remember Qots fans throwing a tizzy before about whether or not they get travelling expenses for that trip. 

Yeah, and Hamilton/Motherwell is only 4 hours away but presumably they would get expenses.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've not seen them yet obviously but I'd have thought Sutton United and Boreham Wood may be a step up in quality again this year.

I'll be interested to see if they play the first XI, tbf.

With 46 league games (+playoffs), FA Cup (+replays), FA Trophy (+replays) and a county cup each these are potentially 5 more games onto a heavy schedule.

Edited by HibeeJibee