2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

15 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

No extra time in quarter-finals either.

But there will be in the semis and final...ok.

Don't know why they're messing around with a successful format since it's "extremely popular" though?

I just don't follow the logic.

After R1 all the rounds are on weekends - mainly international weekends - so it can hardly be argued that the portion of ties which go to extra-time will be fatiguing players for 3-4 days later.

I can't think large numbers of people will be sat about thinking "nah I won't go today there may be extra-time" then suddenly recall there isn't extra-time and decide to go: who doesn't go to a football match just in case there's extra-time?

If anything, could be the opposite, as it entrenches the "diddy cup" impression.

I just don't follow the logic.

After R1 all the rounds are on weekends - mainly international weekends - so it can hardly be argued that the portion of ties which go to extra-time will be fatiguing players for 3-4 days later.

I can't think large numbers of people will be sat about thinking "nah I won't go today there may be extra-time" then suddenly recall there isn't extra-time and decide to go: who doesn't go to a football match just in case there's extra-time?

If anything, could be the opposite, as it entrenches the "diddy cup" impression.

It is the diddy cup, and limiting clubs exposure to it is one of the few benefits announced.

No extra time in quarter-finals either.
But there will be in the semis and final...ok.
Don't know why they're messing around with a successful format since it's "extremely popular" though?

That messing around is them being innovative.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Lets hope refs are briefed more thoroughly than they seemed to be on 4th-sub-in-extratime or ABBA-penalty-shootouts.

It'd be a stretch to argue an extra 30mins wouldn't affect outcomes.

It doesn't matter if it goes horribly awry as Doncaster will just say the competition broke all sorts of records and was a huge success.

Extra time at Dumbarton against Connah's Quay was the best part of that game last season. After trying to shitfest and time waste their way to a win after going ahead early, the Welsh eejits ended up missing their train home after going out to a last minute wonder goal. It was glorious

4 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Extra time at Dumbarton against Connah's Quay was the best part of that game last season. After trying to shitfest and time waste their way to a win after going ahead early, the Welsh eejits ended up missing their train home after going out to a last minute wonder goal. It was glorious

I've heard the train story a few times but never asked what was their plan B?

On 6/28/2018 at 08:17, Zen Archer said:

I've heard the train story a few times but never asked what was their plan B?

I think they got a later train iirc. I imagined them standing on a platform at Glasgow Central still in full kit w****r mode and feeling devastated that their shithouse tactics failed them!

On 28/06/2018 at 10:41, come on shire said:

You'd think it was Dr. Frankenstein who was in charge of this cup...

That's an insult to Dr Frankenstein who is a lot smarter than that clown Doncaster.  It is a shame when Regan left the SFA he could not drag his equally moronic and corrupt crony Doncaster out the SPFL as well and let someone competent take over.

Everything about the changes is no doubt intended to benefit the OF regardless of whether or not it devalues the competition.  Introduce colt teams to prove it can work so Rangers and Celtic can try and fit their colt teams into the league set up.  Create a cross border set up to show it can be a success and maybe ad a result try to get Rangers and Celtic into the English leagues.  The whole cup has become a complete nonsense and is not worth the time anymore.

3 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Create a cross border set up to show it can be a success and maybe ad a result try to get Rangers and Celtic into the English leagues.

They must know that's a pipe dream at best, surely? Can't see many clubs voting to drop out of the league just so the OF can bring a load of policing problems, given the recent track record.

The premier league is a global 'brand' now, and for better or worse (aka worse) they don't bring that much to the table - the fans they'd bring are of naught compared to the £80m+ West Bromwich received for finishing bottom.

It might be a model for allowing Scottish teams to enter the FA Cup again. That could work really well, as one off matches against exotic opponents.

I'm sure EPL will throw up their hands and concede to OF joining when they discover Boreham Wood have played Peterhead or Hamilton Academical 'B' in the Irn-Bru Cup.

Can only be a matter of time now. The precedent has been set.

The English league really, really needs an invasion of Scottish wannabe Irish and English tribute type fans coming down to England making a nuisance of themselves.

The English game is on it’s knees. It can only be a matter of time until they turn to Celtic and Sevco.

According to their twitters BSCG v East Stirlingshire in Preliminary has moved from Tuesday 31st July to Sunday 29th July.

League game East Stirlingshire v BSCG on LL opening day has correspondingly moved from Saturday 28th July to Wednesday 1st August, due to a 'Little Mix' concert at Falkirk.

Clubs had previously announced league game reversing to BSCG v 'Shire and moving to Sunday 29th July (to avoid an Alloa game on the Saturday), but this would have left only 1 day before the cup-tie.

Additionally it would have reversed league game on LL closing day to 'Shire v BSCG, but Falkirk are at home on Saturday 20th April.

Edited by HibeeJibee