2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The Texaco Cup was for top flight clubs.

When it was sponsored by Texaco... once it became the Anglo-Scottish Cup it was opened up via a Preliminary to clubs from SFL's 2nd & 3rd tiers (of course English clubs came from all levels) - hence the harrowing Berwick Rangers 1-8 Morton (0-4 4-1).

Edited by HibeeJibee

The format is exciting. Sutton and Boreham Wood are better and bigger then Highland & Lowland teams. I’m massively in favour for the b teams to remain in the comp

I take the polar opposite view. This is supposed to be a cup competition for lower league Scottish teams. I am okay with letting some lowland or highland teams in but I draw the line at Irish, Welsh and now non-league English teams. Colt teams should be nowhere near it. The competition has lost any credibility it ever had.

Can clubs withdraw from cup competitions without much fallout? I'm not au fait with the rules regarding it.  I'd very much like ICT to not defend their trophy.

Not arsed in the slightest about winning this. Only want an away day to one of the ‘international’ sides. We’ve avoided the colt sides so far, I wouldn’t be attending if we were drawn against one, however I would want us to play our strongest side and fucking shaft them. They bring f**k all to the competition.

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Can clubs withdraw from cup competitions without much fallout? I'm not au fait with the rules regarding it.  I'd very much like ICT to not defend their trophy.

Rules from last season:

4.20 Each Club/club shall play in all Matches in the Competition in which it is scheduled to play by the Board and at any rescheduled date, time and/or venue as determined from time to time by the Board.

4.21 Any Club/club without just cause failing to fulfil its fixture obligations in respect of a Match on the appointed date or dates shall be liable to be disqualified and/or subject to such other punishment as the Board may determine.

4.27 Without prejudice to any sanctions which may be imposed for a breach of these Regulations, a Club/club failing to fulfil a fixture obligation shall be liable to pay compensation for any expenses reasonably incurred by the opposing Club/club as a result of the failure. The amount of such compensation will be at the discretion of the Board which will consider every such case on its merits.

6 hours ago, Eednud said:

Rules from last season:

4.20 Each Club/club shall play in all Matches in the Competition in which it is scheduled to play by the Board and at any rescheduled date, time and/or venue as determined from time to time by the Board.

4.21 Any Club/club without just cause failing to fulfil its fixture obligations in respect of a Match on the appointed date or dates shall be liable to be disqualified and/or subject to such other punishment as the Board may determine.

4.27 Without prejudice to any sanctions which may be imposed for a breach of these Regulations, a Club/club failing to fulfil a fixture obligation shall be liable to pay compensation for any expenses reasonably incurred by the opposing Club/club as a result of the failure. The amount of such compensation will be at the discretion of the Board which will consider every such case on its merits.

So if you refuse to play, you could be thrown out of the competition?  That'll learn 'em. :lol:

On 12/06/2018 at 07:50, TheScarf said:

Even if its yourselves and county in the final? I think once a team is in the semi final, then any sort of feelings of disinterest, quickly evaporate. 

13 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Not arsed in the slightest about winning this. Only want an away day to one of the ‘international’ sides. We’ve avoided the colt sides so far, I wouldn’t be attending if we were drawn against one, however I would want us to play our strongest side and fucking shaft them. They bring f**k all to the competition.

Exactly the attitude to have against the colts. Strong team out and put half a dozen or more past them. Hopefully they will get binned in the future and make way for more highland and lowland teams. 

36 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Even if its yourselves and county in the final? I think once a team is in the semi final, then any sort of feelings of disinterest, quickly evaporate. 

I was barely interested in the final m8.  I kind of stood up and applauded when Tremarco scored, and again when the final whistle went.  Much to the annoyance of Falkirk fans.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was barely interested in the final m8.  I kind of stood up and applauded when Tremarco scored, and again when the final whistle went.  Much to the annoyance of Falkirk fans.

Would you of felt any different if your end of season run in wasnt as exciting as it was? Had you had the season falkirk was having for example? 

21 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Would you of felt any different if your end of season run in wasnt as exciting as it was? Had you had the season falkirk was having for example? 

It’s a diddy cup, it’s hardly surprising that a supporter of a team that’s recently won the Scottish Cup fails to find winning this overly exciting!

Not too bothered about it being a uk wide competition as its something different but Colt teams need to get in the sea. 

What's the furthest a colt team has progressed since their inclusion in this tournament?

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Not really, like your fellow Queens fan said, we won the Scottish Cup a few years ago, which renders the Challenge Cup meaningless to me.

3 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Not too bothered about it being a uk wide competition as its something different but Colt teams need to get in the sea. 

What's the furthest a colt team has progressed since their inclusion in this tournament?

In the first season 7 of 12 made it from R1 into R2 - although this included 3 victories over non-league teams. Celtic 'B' were the only to progress to R3.

Last season the cup was shortened by a round and 6 of 12 made it from R1 into R2 - although this included 2 victories over non-league teams (plus Aberdeen 'B' and St Johnstone 'B' actually drew each other!). None progressed into R3.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Not really, like your fellow Queens fan said, we won the Scottish Cup a few years ago, which renders the Challenge Cup meaningless to me.

I guess i just see it differently. Although we are fans of championship clubs they have had different recent histories. Challenge cup i like us to go for strongly as its a competition we have a reasonable chance of winning. Even our league campaign, nobody i think will see us in the playoffs come end of season. I obviously hope otherwise but i have to also be realistic about our season aspirations. I like the challenge cup for the most part. Your point though and dougie is fair enough.