Playing the Shame Game

3 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

We lost 4-0 away to Cowdenbeath a few seasons ago in a nothing game for us under McGlynn. Should be a shame game but it was really sunny on the terraces so I found myself not caring about the result.

This is the first time I’ve seen Cowdenbeath and “sunny” used in the same context.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire 2014-15 shambles of a season,

Finishing 7th in league one with the highest budget and getting a 5-1 thrashing in Stranraer and getting humped 4-0 at home by Morton

Dunfermline 0-3 Falkirk. Stokes hattrick.

I was fucking raging. Full on seething. I was a total slavering mental mess, shouting out horrible insults to the Pars players, and booing heavily, and then ran down the front and actually tore my Pars top off and chucked it on to the pitch. @Stellaboz was with me, and whilst he too was shouting and booing, he stopped short of throwing his top on to the pitch.

It was a full on breakdown and I was told later from someone who saw it that I was close to being arrested. I have no idea how true that is though, as I was singularly focused on my fury.

Have never been that angry since. In fact I don't really get angry at results ever since that. I definitely get annoyed, but as soon as I'm out of the ground I'm over it. Back then I would be stewing in rage for a week over results. I was a fanny.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Also losing to Mark Yardley's Albion Rovers in an early season league Cup tie a few years ago. Fattest man I've ever see playing professional football and we still couldn't win.

Not the fattest ! Back in the day Hawick RA played in a cup game at Palmerston. Their No 9  was so rotund that his shirt and shorts failed to meet by about 18 inches.

The vision of that pale lump of blubber bouncing around is one that haunts me every time the word Hawick is mentioned.

At least it wasn't a shame game, we won.

14 hours ago, Scosha said:

That Hamilton game a few years ago. Some morons amongst our support clapped the team off the pitch too :lol: 

We had a great shame game last season away at Ayr after they beat us which led to O’Ware being dragged away from the support by his team mates telling us “all yous do is fucking boo us, f**k off” or something along those lines. Fans were unhappy at an incredibly shite start to the season and weak squad, the following week or 2 we sign Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch and our season was excellent until March/April. 

We have a winner:P

22 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Was he Jesus?

What do you reckon?

"Not long after" the game, of course, but on re-reading, I can see how a willfully malevolent cretin, or someone from Kilmarnock, could have interpreted it the way you did.

A 'shame game' isn't your teams worst or humiliating result - a 'shame game' is when the atmosphere between the fans and the players/the fans and the board/the players and each other/the fans with each other descends into utterly poisonous infighting.

The basis of the Morton shame game was therefore the 3-0 defeat at Dumbarton in May 2004, when weeks of tanking performances and results and a pished away fanbase on the day had the rumoured 'betting scandal' added to it like petrol on a raging bonfire. Cue abuse being hurled to and from the away sections and the Morton team as the game proceeded to its end, then fighting between some of the players and fans outside the ground. The shame game had a truly rare rollover moment the following week, when the same team lost 1-4 at home to an already relegated Stenhousemuir side and simply got hounded from the Cowshed throughout.  

There has been quite a few decent efforts since, but the most notable one of recent times was a trip to Inverness (presumably the 5-1 defeat in 2011; though the 4-0 defeat in 2013 might have been it instead), in which the Morton fanbase had to be segregated by the stewards from each other by the middle of the second half due to their sheer hatred of different travel clubs for each other at that time. 

1 hour ago, WILLIEA said:

Not the fattest ! Back in the day Hawick RA played in a cup game at Palmerston. Their No 9  was so rotund that his shirt and shorts failed to meet by about 18 inches.

The vision of that pale lump of blubber bouncing around is one that haunts me every time the word Hawick is mentioned.

At least it wasn't a shame game, we won.

:lol: I wasn't at that game though so Yardley remains the fattest I've seen.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Losing 7-0 to Livingston in a Cup tie in around 2000 made me particularly angry.

Livingston were better than us, but the entire approach and performance from us was shameful.

Alan Kerr scored a particularly good own goal in it though which made Soccer AM's comedy round up the following week!

Forgot all about the Stranraer game in 2015.

Cowdenbeath lost 10(TEN) nil to Hearts and it still wasn't the most humiliating result of the day, as we had been beaten 5-1 by Stranraer.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As mentioned, this season at home to East Kilbride. 0-0 and losing on penalties. East Kilbride. Some fans downplayed it afterwards which made it even more annoying for some reason. That shitshow wasn't a sign of things to come this season, nope. No siree. East Kilbride!!

I can't remember if I downplayed it at the time however easily worst result this season looking back. I remember being disappointed but now that our season has played out the way it has, looking back, I'm very disappointed and annoyed at how our season began and we never really recovered. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Dunfermline 0-3 Falkirk. Stokes hattrick.

I was fucking raging. Full on seething. I was a total slavering mental mess, shouting out horrible insults to the Pars players, and booing heavily, and then ran down the front and actually tore my Pars top off and chucked it on to the pitch. @Stellaboz was with me, and whilst he too was shouting and booing, he stopped short of throwing his top on to the pitch.

It was a full on breakdown and I was told later from someone who saw it that I was close to being arrested. I have no idea how true that is though, as I was singularly focused on my fury.

Have never been that angry since. In fact I don't really get angry at results ever since that. I definitely get annoyed, but as soon as I'm out of the ground I'm over it. Back then I would be stewing in rage for a week over results. I was a fanny.

I don't remember that, although you were thrown out by the police at Tynecastle one time... and innocent!

I think from a personal viewpoint, the Celtic 1-8 game. Not during it, not even immediately after it. Got absolutely sh*tfaced, it was a Sunday and Legends had their pub quiz on. Myself and @DA Baracus were so utterly burst we were chucking pint glasses and chairs I believe at each other "for a laugh" upstairs away from normal people. Woke up the next morning and I had not only punched a huge hole in the wall above the toilet, but had smashed in the lightswitch in the kitchen. My parents weren't best pleased with that, especially my dad who made me get the bus to B&Q the next day to replace it. Worst still, I came back with the wrong type and had to make the trip again, with a massive spewy hangover.

In terms of at a game, I think our defeat away to Livingston with Davie Hay in charge has to be up there. There were a couple of thousand Pars fans there that day and I've never felt such a hatred directed at one man since. I worked in the club shop at the time and I remember when the news came through on the Monday/Tuesday after it that he'd been punted, there was an almost party atmosphere from the people that were in at the time (somewhat busy day for whatever reason) and people wanted Legends opened so they could celebrate and have a few drinks. All because he'd been fired.

@DA Baracus also chucked his scarf in a burn near Morrisons in Kilmarnock after our 4-0 pumping at the end of that same season when we almost got relegated on the last day, despite our 5-0 win against Dundee and subsequent famous win at Tannadice.

Hacken away was also pretty brutal during the game if I remember rightly... a punch up during the game and a friend of mine being started on by another Pars fan... which I missed because I fucked off in a drunken huff at being beaten.

Yeah, good idea for a thread, but a misinterpretation of shame game from the very first post onwards.

The Dumbarton game on Tuesday had shame game potential - and when the boos began to rain down when Dumbarton took the lead, the shame game sirens were beginning to sound but we turned it around and the shame game was averted. But it wouldn't have been a shame game in the event of a loss, just because we lost to a team we expected to beat. As others have said, an embarrassing defeat does not a shame game make. It takes more than that.

Sometimes it's the game, after a run of poor games, that is the straw that finally breaks the camel's back, when enough is enough and the players/managers/board/other fans get told in no uncertain terms where they are going wrong. 'Poison' was the correct term, things have to turn downright ugly for the shame game rating to go up, with scenes such as:

• Players trying to get into the stand to fight fans.
  • Fans trying to get onto the pitch to fight players.
  • Players/Management/Board getting a vitriolic hounding.
  • Fans trying to get into the dressing room to continue the hounding/fighting.
  • Fans fighting fans.
  • Stewards, police, horses intervening to separate fans from players, fans from staff, fans from other fans.

The Hamilton 10-2 game, while totally shameful and embarrassing for all involved, doesn't even merit inclusion on a Morton shame game list as it passed all too peacefully as nobody really gave a shit by that point.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reading these stories about Morton fans and having read some of the stuff on their thread in the past I'm amazed that some of their fans haven't murdered each other.

Has anybody seen Swampy lately?

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but the gubbing at home to Partick Thistle in our administration season is worth a mention. Toxic atmosphere in the stands between those protesting against the board and those still buying into the whole Masterton era. 

Mass protest outside the main stand long before the final whistle with the police eventually moving in to disperse the crowds. 

Somehow managed to talk myself out of a night in the cells when it was looking odds on at one point. 

Where to start?

Hearts 10 - 0 Cowdenbeath

Cowdenbeath 0 - 8 Gretna

Two 1-0 defeats to East Kilbride in consecutive years in the Scottish Cup.

Alloa 3 - 0 Cowdenbeath to be relegated on the last day of the season in 14/15. We didn't turn up and it's the angriest I've been at a game. Bloody Michael Chopra.

Dunfermline 7 - 1 Cowdenbeath

I thought it was shit being a Cowden fan until reading this thread.  So many mentions of wins :lol:

11 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I remember the update coming through on Twitter that Darren Cole was subbed on so I posted something on the match thread about how he'll probably score an own goal, thinking it was just a joke, and then...

I still remember the 2nd leg as well, taking it to extra time and thinking we'll surely have too much for a part time side with 2 legs + plus extra time in a few days. One of the very few times I've left before the game finished. 

Fair to say Hopkin's learnt a lot since then, otherwise we'd be playing Hardie and Miller on the wings. 

There's still time yet, if Hardie gets put on the wing between now and the play offs i'm blaming it on you for mentioning it on here, you should know better after that post about Cole scoring an OG.:ph34r:

Archived