Playing the Shame Game

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned, this season at home to East Kilbride. 0-0 and losing on penalties. East Kilbride. Some fans downplayed it afterwards which made it even more annoying for some reason. That shitshow wasn't a sign of things to come this season, nope. No siree. East Kilbride!!

Bonnyrigg Rose.

As soon as I walked in the door my mrs took one look at me and said "I'll just leave you to it" and fucked off to bed to let me contemplate life with a beer. She knew it was bad. Just thinking about those two result makes me utterly seething.

The worst result in our entire history.
Exactly the game I thought of first. Mentions for losing 2-0 to Huntly in 1992 and 8-0 to Dundee United in 1995. The latter wasn't as bad as the former since United had a decent side but it is embarrassing when your team loses to a brackets scoreline!

The 9man game was sorted, for me anyway, when we beat another 9man (!) Rangers team at GHR with Aaron Mooy getting off his bike to score a cracker. The 2013 LC win was just icing on the cake.

I was working in England at the time but the 7-0 defeat by Raith in the 92/93 opener was a shocker. 

The mention of Hammarby still gives me a "butterflies" moment but it's not the worst.

The game that is the nadir of my Saints watching experience wasn't even a defeat it was a 2-2 draw at home to Stirling Albion at Love St. in 97/98. It was the first home game of the second season in Tony-Fs second spell in charge - the first had been above expectations and we were all feeling pretty optimistic  after starting the season with a win away to Airdrie. They scored early but we came back to be leading 2-1 then they were reduced to 10 men and had another guy taken off injured to be replaced with the substitute keeper. So five minutes to go and we get a corner and a chance to finish off the game against effectively 912 men. They leave no one up but break out from the corner and their one forward hoofs the ball past our defenders and runs with it to just inside the far left corner of the box where our defender (Smith)  catches up with and clatters into him. A P/T player was never going to score from open play after running 60/70 yards with the ball but the inevitable happened they scored from the penalty and held out for the draw killing our season after two games. We struggled through the rest of that season until Hugh Murray saved it (and possibly the club) in the penultimate game, ironically with a late winner against Albion at Forthbank. 

Se7en months later Tony-F resigned and we all jumped aboard the Tom Hendrie Express, but that's a different story.   

That Hamilton game a few years ago. Some morons amongst our support clapped the team off the pitch too [emoji38] 
We had a great shame game last season away at Ayr after they beat us which led to O’Ware being dragged away from the support by his team mates telling us “all yous do is fucking boo us, f**k off” or something along those lines. Fans were unhappy at an incredibly shite start to the season and weak squad, the following week or 2 we sign Gavin Gunning and Andy Murdoch and our season was excellent until March/April. 

Must admit I don't recall any of our fans clapping the team off at Hamilton.

Its an absolute fact though that the boo boys at Ayr were the catalyst for our turnaround last season. I'm forever grateful for that.

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Bonnyrigg Rose.

As soon as I walked in the door my mrs took one look at me and said "I'll just leave you to it" and fucked off to bed to let me contemplate life with a beer. She knew it was bad. Just thinking about those two result makes me utterly seething.

9 minutes ago, microdave said:
Bonnyrigg Rose.

Exactly the game I thought of first. Mentions for losing 2-0 to Huntly in 1992 and 8-0 to Dundee United in 1995. The latter wasn't as bad as the former since United had a decent side but it is embarrassing when your team loses to a brackets scoreline!

yeah, you're probably too young BBPF, but in 91/92 season, bolstered by wins over East Stirling and Alloa, our 3rd round tie was a home one v Highland League minnows Huntly.

Pre match, confidence was high, a place in the 4th round (and probably the march to the final) was assured.  Their (admittedly impressive ) teuchter support even brought loads of cardboard cutout-covered-in-tinfoil trophies with them, just to confirm their diddiness.

A couple of hours later we slunk out of the Silverton gate towards the Stags Head, having suffered an absolutely deserved 2-0 rogering.

Bonnyrigg Rose.

As soon as I walked in the door my mrs took one look at me and said "I'll just leave you to it" and fucked off to bed to let me contemplate life with a beer.

That’s class from the wife. Hate it when I get the “it’s only Kilmarnock” after a bad result.

Bonnyrigg Rose.

I'm still amazed Aitken wasn't sacked after that, although last season at least it worked out for you in the league.

This has been an excellent thread, but I feel I should add that when Morton fans are using 'shame game' it's not necessarily about what's happening on the pitch.

For example, the 4-0 defeat at Inverness in the cup in 13/14 doesn't even register when talking about bad Morton results: it wouldn't even be in the top five for that season alone. However, due to the fact fights broke out in the crowd to the extent that the stewards actually had to form a segregation line up the middle of the Morton support, that had a shame game rating of 8/10.*

*Points deducted due to lacking a pitch invasion or police horses on the pitch.

The following results were all league games under Steven Pressley. For some reason there are still Falkirk fans who canonise him with a few even claiming he "saved the club".

Falkirk 0-3 Queen of the South (it was 0-3 at half time and the Falkirk team were booed back onto the park)

Dunfermline 3-0 Falkirk (Dunfermline were presented with the trophy. Home fans sang "Pressley Pressley give us a wave" towards the end of the game, and he obliged)

Falkirk 2-5 Livingston

Falkirk 3-4 Dumbarton (it was 4-1 until the 87th minute)

Cowdenbeath 4-1 Falkirk (we took the lead in the 2nd minute)

We lost 4-0 away to Cowdenbeath a few seasons ago in a nothing game for us under McGlynn. Should be a shame game but it was really sunny on the terraces so I found myself not caring about the result.

9 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Then came 2013. A mere three years later St Mirren banished memories of 2010 to Room 101..... with a stunning semi final defeat of an OF side, and a classic 3-2 thrilling final. My god, that isn’t the St Mirren way. We were supposed to wake up in a cold sweat, re-living the 2010 final forever.... but those boys did it.

I think this is it, though. The 2010 final was torture, but if we had won that game it would have been forever tarnished with "all very well but it was only against 9 men" type comments. 

As it turned out, we got partial relief a few days later with a 4-0 battering of Celtic, Gus McPherson was fatally tarnished by association with that final, leading to the appointment of Danny Lennon and the almost fairy-tale run to the 2013 success. That team and those results and, importantly, performances (home wins against Ayr  and Hamilton, away win at Aberdeen, then five goal classic wins against Celtic and Hearts at Hampden) were just about perfect. In my life time, we've never had such a fantastic cup run - I'm sure I'll never see us have another. 

Also, great story about the kit, Poz. Didn't know that before. What a fantastic thing to have every time you look back at photos and clips of the game

Reflecting on my post a few minutes ago, I notice that I describe 4-0 and 3-2 wins against Celtic as though they were common place. At the time, we all used to rant and rave about whether Gus and Danny could take us to "the next level".  F*cksake.

It is amazing how quickly you have to re-calibrate your ambitions as a football fan. We are having a great season under JR, but that 2013 team (and even the 2010 team with JR in it) would rip our current team a new one.

I once got the Megabus from Newcastle to Aberdeen on a Sunday to watch Saints play. Eight hours each way; we lost 4-0. It was a late decision and I failed to take the Monday off work. 

It was this game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7029175.stm

Also, the cup defeat to Gretna springs to mind.

As well as the games mentioned earlier in the thread, the 4-0 battering we took off County last season has to be near the top of the list. Boyce getting all 4.

Can't even think of any words to describe how bad we were that night.

11 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Conceding a 90th minute winner to Albion Rovers denying the opportunity of a lucrative cup tie with Celtic.

Failing to Score and losing on penalties to East Kilbride at Home.

Being the last team to lose to Gary Locke’s Raith Rovers featuring a Rudi Skacel assist after bombarding their goal all game.

Oh, you're so young.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Plenty to choose from but losing 6-2 at home to Highland League Ross County in a Scottish Cup replay probably wins it.

This, probably. And I didn't even see it. I was away at Uni at the time and not in Dumfries for midweek replays.

Also losing to Mark Yardley's Albion Rovers in an early season league Cup tie a few years ago. Fattest man I've ever see playing professional football and we still couldn't win.

Losing about 7-0 or something to Stirling Albion at Palmerston and having Steve McCormick describe us as a "pub team".

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As mentioned, this season at home to East Kilbride. 0-0 and losing on penalties. East Kilbride. Some fans downplayed it afterwards which made it even more annoying for some reason. That shitshow wasn't a sign of things to come this season, nope. No siree. East Kilbride!!

Ach, it was a shocker of a result ultimately but I don't think it did really indicate much. They were in our half about three times all game. We hit the woodwork three times and their keeper had a stormer. I'm not saying we were great (obviously) but it was a freak result really. It wasn't even our worst performance of the group (that would be the 2-2 with Albion Rovers).

Not really a shame game but one of our numerous cup defeats to lower league opposition stands out, in my mind anyway - a 1-0 defeat at home to East Fife during the MacPherson era.

East Fife had a decent team that year and IIRC eventually won Div. 3 but the aforementioned defeat stands out for a goal by a striker called Craig O'Reilly who had an otherwise undistinguished career but who hit a cracker that night - there's still a few quotes left online. I doubt he ever scored a better goal!

In a Scottish League Cup tie in August 2007, O'Reilly's wonder goal saw Third Division East Fife defeat Premier League St Mirren 1–0 away from home, in a cup giant killing.[6] O'Reilly left East Fife in December 2008, after finding first team chances limited.

But O'Reilly settled the game after 63 minutes, unleashing an unstoppable shot that went in off the crossbar.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mirren+0+east+fife+1+o+reilly&view=detail&mid=51B8FA1B6AEFF7F14A4951B8FA1B6AEFF7F14A49&FORM=VIRE

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2003–2005 Raith Rovers 11 (1)
2004 Montrose (loan) 10 (0)
2005–2007 Dundee 15 (3)
2006–2007 East Fife (loan) 31 (13)
2007–2008 East Fife 41 (3)
2009 Clyde 3 (0)
2009 Montrose (loan) 8 (3)
2009–2010 Stenhousemuir 10 (0)
2010 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic    
2010–2011 Berwick Rangers 21 (6)
2012 Penicuik Athletic 11 (3)
2012 Ballingry Rovers    
2012–2014 Newtongrange Star    
2014–2015 Kelty Hearts    
2015–2016 Dalkeith Thistle    
2016– Tynecastle    
National team
2005 Scotland U-19 2 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:48, 5 July 2016 (UTC)

Career[edit]

Think my worst one was a 2-1 defeat at Dundee Utd on New Years eve 78 or 79.  Certainly it is one that sticks in my mind.

We were 1-0 up and well on top for most of that game then lost two late goals. They were top of the league at the time, I think, but we were the better side by far that day. Given the date, we'd all had a lot of "scoops" before the game and it was a long journey back, the highs of earlier in the day all gone.

I remember getting home about 9.00 pm to change to go out for the night and the first thing my dad said was "So, what happened?" Came over as if it was my fault we'd lost. For me, it was the last straw. I lost it. Shouting, swearing, storming out, the lot.  It was a shit New Year.

He was a huge Saints fan, but because he didn't go to games any more, the young me couldn't see how he could call himself a fan. Long after he died, I discovered newspaper clippings of his, showing how keen a fan he has been in the 50s. Of course we made it up not long after, but I always regretted my reactions that night - it changed me.

Edit to add: I know this doesn't really fit the remit of the topic -  there is not much shame in losing to the league leaders away from home.  I suppose I think of it as a "shame game" because of my reactions afterwards. 

1-6 to Clyde.

0-2 to Stenhousemuir.

1-8 to Celtic reserves (containing about 8 full internationals!)

1-2 to Albion Rovers

are among the first horrors to come to mind, although there have clearly been thousands.

But the angriest I've ever been at a game I think was at Stark's Park in 98/99. We pumped them all game and were cruising 1-0 before conceding two goals in injury time. Ian Cameron got one I think. Just a blur, a haze of rage and... helplessness, I think at the injustice of it all. @AllyM spoke well of being changed by one's stupid infantile reactions to a bloody game, but it's true. I'll obviously always be a Falkirk fan for the rest of my days, but the fire burns differently as you get older. When I think back to the maniac I was sometimes back then I cringe, and smile too. To be honest, I think the 2015 cup final was the one for me. I'm never letting myself get so high or so low at a game again.

Archived