Champions 2017/8 vs Morton | Guard of Honour edition

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The home and away ends on Saturday will offer a perfect visual metaphor for the state of our two clubs at the moment.

Wait, I thought Morton are on a discernible upward trajectory year on year? They must be close to the Premiership by now surely..... :unsure2:

23 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

As always, an outsider looking in thinks he's doing an ok job. The devil is in the detail, and for a Morton fan, the detail is excruciating.

He builds a squad with an idea to play a rotten 433.

Realises early, after struggling to beat Berwick and Failing to beat Queens Park, that it's not working and bins it, but now doesn't have a balanced squad to play 442 due to the lack of signing wingers.

Doesn't know his best team and formation for the first half of the season.

Finally addresses things by signing a winger towards the end of January. Finally balance. Finally a settled team and formation We go unbeaten in 7 (6 wins, 1 draw) with said winger in the team.

We reach a crunch playoff match. 2nd vs 3rd. Big game. Huge chance to push for 2nd. He bins the aforementioned successful setup and rests key players fielding a weakened team in one of the most important league games of the season (many believed with 1 eye on the following game which is Celtic in the cup. Prioritising the cup over the league. Determined not to lose face as his media pals would be watching. Actually, unbeknown to us, this was the start of a final third meltdown).

Continues to chop and change, team and formation. Preposterous 'tombola' team selections. Players playing out of position. The aforementioned winger dumped on the bench.

We proceed to win 2 from our next 10 (Brechin and Dumbarton, so 2 gimmes and we only managed to beat Dumbarton with a last minute winner). Season over, playoff chances ended. It'll be 2 from 12 come the end of the season.

Take Saturday for example. When we turn up at most games, nobody has any chance of guessing what Duffy's lineup will be but this week went one step further. Nobody, ever, would have imagined, in a must win game, he'd pluck playing our left back as a central midfielder right out of his hole (with Gary Fraser sitting on the bench, keeping the aforementioned winger company).

So with 2 games to go, Duffy clearly still doesn't know what our best team and formation is. He's blown our playoff place, cost us a fortune (the prize money difference between 2nd and 6th is £237,000.)

But no doubt he'll come out with how tough a game it was because Queens were well up for it and we only lost by a single goal.

He's an imbecile.

You don't have enough locals at the gates Duffy is working with a small budget which to me looks good granted I'm not seeing you often but when you play us you have been good.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Wait, I thought Morton are on a discernible upward trajectory year on year? They must be close to the Premiership by now surely..... :unsure2:

No we just have a vastly experienced accountant on our Board who hasn’t quite twigged that sustainability without progress is unsustainable. But then again his speciality is company liquidations. 

43 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

You don't have enough locals at the gates Duffy is working with a small budget which to me looks good granted I'm not seeing you often but when you play us you have been good.

We do have the support as we had 3,000+ when we were in the old 2nd division just over ten years ago. It’s the product on the park and lack of ambition in the directors box that’s the problem and keeping the support away.

They always raise their game against us tho. Seems all that matters is beating the saints.

Morton fans on here need a reality check. A small club with a shit ground and shit support - mid table mediocrity.

They always raise their game against us tho. Seems all that matters is beating the saints.

Morton fans on here need a reality check. A small club with a shit ground and shit support - mid table mediocrity.
A tad harsh....but fair[emoji1]

44 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

So how confident are St. Mirren of winning this game now? :P 

Well , the first team should be fresh given that they had the night off tonight. 

3-0 Saints.

In truth we’ve looked tired since the 2-2 draw at Inverness. We all knew the job was done but in the last 4 games we’ve looked burst.

Tonight was a bit of a damp squib as a team of fringe players didn’t really get going.

We need one more performance on sat for the trophy day. I expect to see us back at full strength.

8 hours ago, flyingscot said:

They ARE close to the Premiership. Look - only 18.3 miles.

A8E3F0FA-E7E2-4CAC-8571-968701A9D19F.jpeg

9 hours ago, IainMorton said:

So how confident are St. Mirren of winning this game now? :P 

Serious answer: I've not been confident of winning it for a while. As poor as you've been this season, we're knackered. Fortunately, we put in all the work in the first five sixths of the season, which has enabled us to saunter over the line.

Of course I really hope we beat you, but there's a march before the game, a party during, and a parade afterwards. The result won't affect any of that.

We could actually end up with one of the lower points totals for a title winning team, by dint of having had it all sewn up for so long now.

17 hours ago, flyingscot said:

yup, one of the most remarkable quotes from Greenock's lunatic fringe...Given the continual blasts of hot air coming from that direction its about time The Famous, whatever that's supposed to mean, were re-christened The Flatulent.  

15 hours ago, IainMorton said:

We do have the support as we had 3,000+ when we were in the old 2nd division just over ten years ago. It’s the product on the park and lack of ambition in the directors box that’s the problem and keeping the support away.

I know you have a potential support its like us in many ways . Saturday we had 6,000 home fans against you its near 7,000 but 4,000 Is our average if the extra came along every other week it would make a huge difference to the player budget. Same for you if you had 3,000 coming every other week you could get a better quality player. Not saying you are bad we have not beat you this term but the budget plays a big part. 

46 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

yup, one of the most remarkable quotes from Greenock's lunatic fringe...Given the continual blasts of hot air coming from that direction its about time The Famous, whatever that's supposed to mean, were re-christened The Flatulent.  

Don't judge us all on the flouncing about of that idiot.

We've a few more roasters also worthy of consideration.....

Archived