Clyde v Stirling Albion

Some things in football never change. Unfortunately the standard of refereeing is one of them. 

We didn't deserve to lose today but didn't do enough to win.

Quite a lot of players standing on the ball. Does this happen often at Broadwood?

Nicoll really is a thug.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought st the time that the Stirling defender  “passed” it to Boyle as he tried to tackle Goodwillie. 

Player do stand on the ball a lot. The surface always seems sticky, don’t water it so it happen often. 

Awful, end-of-season fare in the first-half. Flat game without any tempo. Ball spent most of its time out of the park.

Second-half played-out predictably. Boyle, Goodie, Lamont, Cuddihy and the likes put a wind in our sails that a lethargic Stirling couldn't match. We looked the fitter; and that's because on net we are.

I thought Boyle vindicated his reselection from-the-off. Ridiculous not to start him in preference to Love or anyone else. Why we had him benched at Cowden, I don't know. Pulling our punches big time, there.

Nicoll should've been subbed before half-time; spent most of the match thugging-it-up or giving opponents lip. Took the sting out of too many moves and denied us Cuddihy's quality on the left which left Stewart with a lot to do and Lamont with too much of a structural attachment to the left-hand-side; he needs more freedom than that to turn a game.

Thought Stirling lacked pace and looked a bit indecisive; perhaps coming from how late in the season it is and/or that they're pretty much certain to get a play-off. Would always start Peaso before Little. On the positive side, your full-backs were as sturdy as usual, and Barr did alright inside of them, against a difficult opponent.

Complete garbage; McStay and Goodwillie included. So many free kicks, goalies have been redundant.
Nicoll is a waste of space when he plays like that, desperate for a booking from minute one. Same at Peterhead the other week. 17 bookings in 24 games.
You steamin DW. Nicoll easily one of best on park, All about opinions but omfg your miles away wae that one....

Moving onto game never got going to 2nd half. Decent enough win and probably deserved on chances alone...

Dont fancy stirling to do much in play offs either...

Forever n eva

Would always start Peaso before Little. On the positive side, your full-backs were as sturdy as usual, and Barr did alright inside of them, against a difficult opponent.

To be fair, I think Dave Mackay would also however I think he was just trying to freshen things up after last weeks sore one against Montrose and Peaso has played a lot of football this season, so maybe decided to rest him.

Glad to here Barr played well against Goodwillie because I though he absolutely rag dolled Barr in the last game at Forthbank.

Really hope we can find out spark again for the Play Offs, but fear we won’t.

Just now, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicoll easily one of best on park

I'll say this for him. He got the ball out from under him more quickly in the second-half, and done well not to get a red-card, taking care not to dive in.

But one of the best on the park? That's a bold statement.

45 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

Some things in football never change. Unfortunately the standard of refereeing is one of them. 

We didn't deserve to lose today but didn't do enough to win.

Quite a lot of players standing on the ball. Does this happen often at Broadwood?

Nicoll really is a thug.

Agree with your comments, deserved a share of the points today but a decision by the ref to overrule the linesman when he put his flag up for offside for Clyde`s 2nd goal cost us the point. 

Regarding Nicoll had 2 bad tackles before he was booked and how he managed to stay on the park is beyond me, as you say a thug. 

Is it still goal difference that counts after points re who finishes where?

Interestingly, I could see us pumping Edinburgh and Berwick. And I could see Stirling getting beat a couple more times. That'd leave the margin awfully fine.

Will Stenny take more than 6 from their last 4 games? Phh. Tight. But I'd say yes at this point.

I will need to see it again to be absolutely certain but I’m sure the Stirling player played the ball through to Boyle, which is why the referee overruled the linesman.

If he did fair enough but the fact the ref gave the offside and lino then changed their mind is a joke.

Need to take the cheerleading specs off SSB. 

I would also have Nicol in my team, but when he’s as off the pace as he was today he gets booked, and to say he got the ball when he did get booked is laughable.

To his credit he didn’t end up being sent off.

On to the second goal, it was adjudged a Stirling player touched it last and besides Boyle wasn’t offside anyway.

Dreadful game, very rare that you can have a 90 minutes with so little happening. The first half was a succession of fouls and throw-ins, absolutely nothing threatened either goalkeeper. Three goals, one outstanding tackle from McNiff (after Nicoll had given the ball away for the umpteenth time under very little pressure) and absolutely nothing else. Didn't think Stirling had a sniff of a goal after our second, we saw things out really well again.

Not sure there can be complaints about the goal, the referee got it spot-on as it looked like the Stirling player poked it through to the "offside" Boyle. He was so "offside" and the finish was relatively easy that they can't even claim they stopped playing when they saw a flag. 

Currie (like Stirling goalie)  had nothing to do in the main. Some around me thought he could have came out at the goal, I thought it was a great clipped ball by MacDonald and the fault lay at the centre half (Cogill maybe) for letting him turn. Duffie was rubbish first twenty, settled down to produce another decent performance after that. Stewart standard. Centre halves made a few wee errors that they've not been making but did more good than bad.

Nicoll did okay in that he didn't pick up the second yellow that everyone thought he would get and as usual having him to win headers and help kill the game is something a lot of teams don't have. However,  his disciplinary record is shocking, and he was back to 2017 in terms of how many times he gave the ball away. Contrast that with Grant, who gave the ball away more than he has previously (not in dangerous areas), but still cruised around the pitch reacting to danger, winning the ball back, didn't batter anyone whilst doing it. Don't need both of them in the team (and McStay who always goes into that space), but I think we've noticed that before.

McStay was completely anonymous. Maybe he was ill or something but he just couldn't get into the game. Same with Lamont. Boyle was in and out, started really well, better at the start of the second half and obviously got a couple of goals. He was lucky he got the first goal as he had an easy pass on to Goodwillie. Cuddihy showed that he should have started in his stint on the pitch. Goodwillie worked hard without the same level of support he's has recently.

6 wins on the spin at home, only one defeat on plastic in 2018. Stenny's last minute goal has ended our promotion hopes but it's been a decent few months regardless. Hopefully the planning will now start in earnest for next season as it'll be a rebuilding job.

I thought we started brightly enough but it didn't take long for Stirling to figure out where and when to close us down and after that the first half was a non-event. We always looked more dangerous in the second half and I'd say we deserved the three points.

I thought Boyle was terrific  today, even aside from his goals. I think that was largely down to us playing both Nicoll and Grant for a change. With only one of them on the park Boyle is expected to track back, even as the attacking midfielder, but we gave him a more free role today which obviously suits him. Helped by Goodwillie leading the line very well today.

As much as MacDonald is an excellent striker, I thought we were lucky Little went off injured as he was looking lively until then, and was doing a good job harassing out defenders. Peaso never really got into the game.

Cogill and particularly Stewart had good games, and Nicoll did make a decent effort not to dive in again after his booking, whilst still staying involved. McStay was awful.

25 minutes ago, Clydeontheup said:

I would also have Nicol in my team, but when he’s as off the pace as he was today he gets booked, and to say he got the ball when he did get booked is laughable.

He got a toe on the ball.

Totally unneeded to dive into a challenge like that though.

Archived