Dundee United v Falkirk

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Serious question for Utd fans, do you still consider yourselves to be a"big club" or are you resigned to being provincial diddies like us?

Great Question!

IMO we are a club with a decent history and generally speaking have the 6th biggest home support in Scottish football, although away support is significantly more determined by form,  (like all teams).

Future books about the World Famous DUFC will see this as a major trough in our history (as has recently happened to 3 bigger clubs in the country than us), and current books already reflect the narrow escape Aberdeen made back in the day. Note that the aforementioned clubs are flourishing again despite the horrendous ness that has recently befallen them., 

I am a dyed in the wool Arab but always try to have a balanced view. Things have gone utterly fucking horribly wrong in the past few years, but enough of a loyal fan base will remain to keep us a bigger club than most, despite the utter fucking cockwombles who have been in charge recently, and sooner (or likely later) we’ll be back again fighting for a top 6 place, and our fan base will return.

Huge amounts of disillusionment has stemmed from Thomson and the cataclysmic errors he made, made worse by unfortunate managerial appointments that have resulted in performances that do not inspire any but the die-hards, massochists,  or those desperate to get away from the wife and kids to bother to turn up and watch.

In short, I think we are still a big club that belong in the Premiership, but we have to earn the right to get there, and as (the team formerly known as) Rangers and Hibs have recently demonstrated , in this league, being bigger than the rest doesn’t give you an automatic right to get there.  

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MacArab said:

Great Question!

IMO we are a club with a decent history and generally speaking have the 6th biggest home support in Scottish football, although away support is significantly more determined by form,  (like all teams).

Future books about the World Famous DUFC will see this as a major trough in our history (as has recently happened to 3 bigger clubs in the country than us), and current books already reflect the narrow escape Aberdeen made back in the day. Note that the aforementioned clubs are flourishing again despite the horrendous ness that has recently befallen them., 

I am a dyed in the wool Arab but always try to have a balanced view. Things have gone utterly fucking horribly wrong in the past few years, but enough of a loyal fan base will remain to keep us a bigger club than most, despite the utter fucking cockwombles who have been in charge recently, and sooner (or likely later) we’ll be back again fighting for a top 6 place, and our fan base will return.

Huge amounts of disillusionment has stemmed from Thomson and the cataclysmic errors he made, made worse by unfortunate managerial appointments that have resulted in performances that do not inspire any but the die-hards, massochists,  or those desperate to get away from the wife and kids to bother to turn up and watch.

In short, I think we are still a big club that belong in the Premiership, but we have to earn the right to get there, and as (the team formerly known as) Rangers and Hibs have recently demonstrated , in this league, being bigger than the rest doesn’t give you an automatic right to get there.  

Will be interesting to see how many DU fans renew their season tickets for next season.  The problem for United is that every season they remain down here their budget advantage will get less and less.  Hibs and Hearts crowds were very much on the up when in this league even when not getting promoted in the latters case whilst United seem to be in a rate of decline.  Surely punting Laszlo is a must to get crowds interested for next season?

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I fancy us this weekend, narrow defeats to the two form teams in the league are being overblown by the bed wetters in our support.

Heading through on the train and looking forward to a right gid drink.

That sounds absolutely smashing. Father duties preventing me from this one, I think we should take something from this game. Just hope Hartley gets the right line up from the start and we will be ok. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

A pleasingly (as always) well mannered post.

Thank you and you are welcome.

Next season for the promotion push please chaps.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Will be interesting to see how many DU fans renew their season tickets for next season.  The problem for United is that every season they remain down here their budget advantage will get less and less.  Hibs and Hearts crowds were very much on the up when in this league even when not getting promoted in the latters case whilst United seem to be in a rate of decline.  Surely punting Laszlo is a must to get crowds interested for next season?

Punting Laszlo is indeed a must for next season.

15 hours ago, Rugster said:

You're already a proven liar. So this will be taken with a pinch of salt. 

Ouch.

27 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Punting Laszlo is indeed a must for next season.

Punting Laszlo and new (mega-rich) owners should bring optimism for next season. If the Baldy Snake is still pulling the strings and Laszlo is still here it looks like a lot of fans will not renew.

If we somehow go up, we still need to be getting rid of Laszlo. Post-Christmas has been a Csambles, like last season!

I can see us being humped big time but i can also see us not getting humped big time. 

I do not trust these players or Csaba to get it right twice in a row.

I see Csaba changing the team about. Stanton is suspended for this one i think, which will be a blow. This would mean putting Lewis in goal again because. McDonald will be in behind Mikklesen, Gillespie will get dropped again and its McMullans shot at left back i think. Fraser will come on at some point when its too late to make a difference.

We'll lose a hilarious goal.

We'll score after a massively laboured passing fest accross our defence leads to a fucking hoof up the park being scrambled in.

We'll then start playing some nice stuff and either score a couple or lose another hilarious goal at the death.

The previous 6 (six) 1 game adds a strange dimension to this game.

Despite our indifferent (shite) form of late, I would like to think the memory of that day has our players lining up feeling confident that they have the better of the man opposite them. Sometimes when that is the case, and the battles are won all over the park, you get a skelping like that but obviously its very rare.

There is also the fact that Utd players will be out for revenge.

It would actually be an intriuging scenario were it not for the fact that I have likely been to my last game of a season I will delete from memory.

Archived