• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now why, when everyone else is paying respects to John's footballing success and the great footballing stories you bring in a political angle and then lower yourself even further with awful abuse to a fellow poster? You are a disgrace to Thistle fans tonight.

And you're just a disgrace all the time.

Spent so much of tonight rewatching old videos, interviews and reading stories about the great John Lambie.
I’ll never ever forget the amazing memories from his second stint at Thistle, was and always will be an absolute hero in the eyes of Jags fans. Difficult to do the man the justice he deserves in writing.

Wee bit of a  pity Chic Young's tribute is so insubstantial, although it was always going to be an exercise in egotistical triviality (he actually uses the expression 'yer man'.) Yes, Lambie was a character and smoked and swore, but my dad told me he was a fine footballer for Saints – and any Thistle fan will tell you just how many good memories they have of him as a manager. He should be remembered for that too. 

And don't leave unexplained the suggestion that 'he never 'quite made his peace with some old friends'. It's a cheap insinuation at this time.

EDIT: Just realised there is a decent tribute on the website (although it suggests he was on the coaching staff at McDiarmid…)

It's a huge testament to the man's character that all those who met him had a memorably pleasant experience. He seemed to see himself as a servant of the club and its supporters and, as such, always had a huge amount of time for us.

The way he treated the more vulnerable fans was even better. My dad and my brother (Alan), who is autistic, were outside the ground chatting with pals about Alan's recent participation at the Special Olympics. Lambie was walking past, in conversation with a friend, and, on overhearing my dad, immediately started fussing over my brother, congratulating him on his medals and actually making my brother feel like it was Lambie's honour to meet him. 

The man was a serious class act. 

Was always clear how much of a character he was, what a good manager he was and what a good player he was but reading this thread, you can't be left in any doubt what a class act John Lambie was as well. RIP.

20 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think if you were asked to name a ‘character’ off the top of your head from Scottish football many would come up with his name first.  Will watch the Thistle documentary later tonight as can remember thinking it was a cracker at the time.

Got round to watching it last night. It was as good as I remembered, Kind of depressing that the standard of scottish football really hasn't progressed much yet we don’t have much in the way of characters either now.

Speaking of characters I Iwas given Chic Charnelys autobiograhy by a thistle fan years ago,to be honest I found a lot Chic anecdotes pretty sh*te and only found stories of John Lambies antics to be the real gems.

Back to the subject of the documentary I seen an old family friend Ronnie Gilfillan in it, is he still involved with the club much does anybody know?

Not sure if already posted. Nice article. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16150836.Neil_Cameron__John_Lambie__the_man_Scottish_football_will_forever_hold_dear/ 

39 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Back to the subject of the documentary I seen an old family friend Ronnie Gilfillan in it, is he still involved with the club much does anybody know?

I think he might still be associated as a director at the club. 

41 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Not sure if already posted. Nice article. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16150836.Neil_Cameron__John_Lambie__the_man_Scottish_football_will_forever_hold_dear/ 

I think he might still be associated as a director at the club. 

had a wee check (quiet moment at work!) on companies house, looks like he's been away since 2012:

blob.thumb.png.d08c3525d6efd9bca24aa937076de389.png

Might still be involved in some capacity though.

Archived