• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1986 Accies got off to a worse start than normal and John announced he wasn't going to sh*g his wife until we got a win. It took until 29 November when we won at Easter Road. Great celebrations - and songs - from the fans and John.

Thrown in the sea by his own players during a pre-season trip to Blackpool. Ended up puncturing a lung and nearly dying.

Used to make his players run up and down Ruchill Park with tractor tyres for training.

Had his car rammed off the road by an irate Falkirk fan when he was their manager.

What. A. Man.

18 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

24d29c63-45ab-4d24-8eae-d3bcf187c374_560

Pretty sure this was a babyface promo of his before the Scottish Cup QF against the Caley around March 2002.  A great worker who drew big crowds.

1 minute ago, Hammer Jag said:

Thrown in the sea by his own players during a pre-season trip to Blackpool. Ended up puncturing a lung and nearly dying.

Used to make his players run up and down Ruchill Park with tractor tyres for training.

Had his car rammed off the road by an irate Falkirk fan when he was their manager.

What. A. Man.

Ha, I remember every single one of those.

I remember he and Gerry Collins used to have ding dongs with ref's on a weekly basis. One time Collins was banned from the touchline for game when we were at Firhill and he watched the game in the Jackie Husband with all the workies wearing a hard hat shouting instructions!

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Used to be fairly common seeing managers smoking in the dugout.

Imagine it would've been. I just dont really remember many instances of it from when i started watching football up till the smoking ban so still raised a chuckle when I seen it on that video.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha, I remember every single one of those.

I remember he and Gerry Collins used to have ding dongs with ref's on a weekly basis. One time Collins was banned from the touchline for game when we were at Firhill and he watched the game in the Jackie Husband with all the workies wearing a hard hat shouting instructions!

11 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Good bit of him in dressing room and touchline situations in this video. Smoking cigs in the dugout :lol:

"Hit the fuckin big men ya fuckin eejit ye!" 

"Too many fuckin' players who just want tae fuckin' dawdle a-fuckin'-bout and not put any fuckin' thing in tae the fuckin' game"

Brilliant.

I can remember a story about JL having to do the physio's job on one occasion. One of his players got injured so on comes John with his bag of tricks, but to his dismay all that was in the bag was a bottle of hair gel. 

What did he do? 

Naturally he rubbed some gel on the player's head, told him he looked terrific , then told him to get up and get on with it!

Always sad when the game loses one of its characters. Seems to be precious few around these days.

Archived