Shrine to Dead Burglar Removed

38 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

He obviously didn’t deserve to die, but if someone breaks into my home when I’m there and acts in a violent manner towards me, I’m going to do anything to defend myself. If I have to resort to stabbing someone that’s their problem, not mines.

You are, of course, entitled to do so.

Bear in mind, however, that you do not get to say after the event "I used reasonable and proportionate force to defend myself". Someone else will decide whether the force you used was reasonable and proportionate. And if they decide the force you used went over and above what was reasonable and proportionate, then it very much would be your problem.

47 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

He obviously didn’t deserve to die, but if someone breaks into my home when I’m there and acts in a violent manner towards me, I’m going to run like fùck, barricade myself in a room, leave my family to fend for themselves etc etc

^^^My plan in such circumstances.

'Vincent's alleged accomplice Billy Jeeves, 28, is on the run having dumped their car close to the traveller estate the friends come from near Orpington, Kent '

They're a pair of Pikey's - how many other burglaries & con's have they done. Not saying they deserve to die but no sympathy for them.

Traveller estate - fancy name for a caravan site.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Bear in mind, however, that you do not get to say after the event "I used reasonable and proportionate force to defend myself". Someone else will decide whether the force you used was reasonable and proportionate. And if they decide the force you used went over and above what was reasonable and proportionate, then it very much would be your problem.

In Scots law the defence of "self defence" has to meet a high test i.e. you had no other option, whether that was to run away or call for help etc. I'm not a lawyer but I believe there is case law on this point.

Just now, MacDuffman said:

'Vincent's alleged accomplice Billy Jeeves, 28, is on the run having dumped their car close to the traveller estate the friends come from near Orpington, Kent '

They're a pair of Pikey's - how many other burglaries & con's have they done. Not saying they deserve to die but no sympathy for them.

Traveller estate - fancy name for a caravan site.

I wonder if he ever said "Home Jeeves" when they were escaping after a job.

32 minutes ago, Gaz said:

15 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

In Scots law the defence of "self defence" has to meet a high test i.e. you had no other option, whether that was to run away or call for help etc. I'm not a lawyer but I believe there is case law on this point.

Of course I’m not going to lunge at someone with a carving knife as soon as they burst through the door but if there is no way of stopping the situation or calling for help, then you have to defend yourself.

If you don’t want battered to death or stabbed, don’t break into my house. Simple as.

33 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'd say a 78 year old being forced to back into his kitchen by a 37 year old wielding a screwdriver, while his mate went upstairs where his wife was in bed, would meet the test.

Edited by welshbairn

Tributes of flowers were left hanging on a bridge over the A19 in Newcastle a few years ago. I assume someone had died in an accident. The flowers are still there. If you really must leave these things, have the decency to remove them before they start to rot.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

And if his family and friends have money to spare to leave flowers then they can't have been that hard up, can they?

Probably burgled them out of another house, thus perpetuating the vicious cycle :(

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Reminds me of one that happened in Ireland a few years ago. Two robbers with knives came out of a supermarket and were chased where one of them was stabbed 6+ times by a "have a go hero"

Guy got jailed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1122/294686-howep/

Not really a difficult one that. 

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Of course I’m not going to lunge at someone with a carving knife as soon as they burst through the door but if there is no way of stopping the situation or calling for help, then you have to defend yourself.

If you don’t want battered to death or stabbed, don’t break into my house. Simple as.

You'd batter someone to death if they broke in to your house? What if they were harder than you? 

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Wouldn't fk with that pensioner.  Disarms a burglar half his age then kills him with his own screwdriver.  That's wot won the war that shit.  

He's 78 so must've fought in the war when he was five.  Truly a tougher generation.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You'd batter someone to death if they broke in to your house? What if they were harder than you? 

If you don't try you'll never know.