Your club player of the year

Obviously given where we are right now, anyone who scores to win a game before the end of the season is in automatic poty and statue outside the ground territory. 

If that doesn't happen... despite the results there's been no shortage of effort this season. Paul McLean has continued to do a captain's job and must have contributed to keeping morale up; Gary Fusco has given 100% again in what is likely to be his final season; Jordan Sinclair has scored a handful of goals and looked a genuine threat. If he could keep it up for 90 mins he'd probably be my shout but as it is I am going for  pocket battleship Finn Graham. If you could bottle that boy's attitude you'd make millions and he's got some ability too - just not had much chance to show it this season.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He's actually somewhat transformed this season, I remember first game of the season him being out his depth completely and laughing at how poor he was - he was then subbed off 50 minutes into the game. Come the next game and he's rampant down the wing and he's been a strong player since.

He’s been phenomenal the second half of the season when he gets a chance. A phenomenal talent. 

Aird will be playing in the top flight one way or another next season. 

Not many worth mentioning apart from Dobbs. Brownlie has done ok at times, marshall been a 6/10 every week, Jacobs in the main has been pretty consistant and Thomson has really come onto a game after a slow start. Kerr would be my choice though if it wasnt for Dobbie. He was outstanding for us in his 6 months here. Every bit as good as McKenna at Aberdeen who is getting rave reviews. He could go far

43 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Not many worth mentioning apart from Dobbs. Brownlie has done ok at times, marshall been a 6/10 every week, Jacobs in the main has been pretty consistant and Thomson has really come onto a game after a slow start. Kerr would be my choice though if it wasnt for Dobbie. He was outstanding for us in his 6 months here. Every bit as good as McKenna at Aberdeen who is getting rave reviews. He could go far

I liked Kerr but to say he was outstanding is pushing it somewhat IMHO. He may have the potential to be an international defender in time but for me he`s a long way off the level shown by McKenna in the 2 recent internationals.

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I liked Kerr but to say he was outstanding is pushing it somewhat IMHO. He may have the potential to be an international defender in time but for me he`s a long way off the level shown by McKenna in the 2 recent internationals.

I think it probably has to be Dobbie by default as nobody else has done anywhere near enough consistently to be a contender. I don't actually think Dobbie has been as good as last season either (I suppose that was inevitable) and has been largely pretty quiet since Xmas, not helped by being injured for the last month.

I tend to agree with the notion that Kerr would certainly have been my next choice if he'd been here all season. He's not as good as McKenna yet, that's an exaggerated comparison, and he's making some raw positional mistakes when you see him for St Johnstone now that he isn't getting away with when he did at this level, but I think he was terrific for us and whilst I know there are other factors (goalkeeper change, Callum Fordyce injury, etc) I put a lot of the much poorer defending since January down to his absence.

I didn't actually think Marshall played that well in the opening half of the season but he's been much better latterly. Ironically as the overall defence has got worse, he's got individually better, though the number of times he gives possession away from throw ins is frustrating. Jacobs was terrific in the first half of the season but seems to have been caught up in the general malaise recently. Saturday was without doubt his poorest showing of the season. Thomson has gone the other way. I think probably because he had been twiddling his thumbs in Celtic's Development team for the first half of the season he looked rusty and off the pace when he arrived in January. Unlike last season when he hit the ground running having been playing for Dumbarton for half a season. It's been very noticeable he's been the best thing about us in the last 4 or 5 games by a mile. He seems to have played himself into form. But playing well for a month doesn't get you player of the year. Ditto Kane who we really missed when he went back to St Johnstone but it's easy to forget he only really started playing well for us in December. His early months were characterised by lots of effort but a series of missed one on ones and then about a month or so out injured.

13 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Is that not like saying Dobbie can't be the best striker cause Queens have  4th best goals for in the league? It is a bit easier seeing who's the best striker though as you just look at who has scored the most goals, but goals are conceded because of errors made by other players so goals against isn't a fair assessment on how good a defender is. For instance our away game against the Pars Longridge passed back to Alexander allowing a Pars player to run in on it resulting in a goal, not much Halkett could do about that, and the other 2 goals came from Aird mugging Mullin and Toddy being the makeshift defender not closing him down before he got his shots off. That's just 3 goals in a game that can't be put on Halkett, when you're just looking at goals against as a barometer for judging a certain defender.

Just to balance that a bit, Halkett made a complete backside of presenting our winner in the game at Tony Macaroni in January to Dobbie.

17 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Dobbie is the league's top scorer while playing in a poor Queens team.

..... and basically hasn't played for a month due to being taken out by Willo Flood.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Halkett made a complete backside of presenting our winner in the game at Tony Macaroni in January to Dobbie.

That wasn't his fault, it was Todorov's fault - he played an awkward and bobbled ball across to him that he failed to control. Said it at the time that it was harsh to blame Halkett more so it was Toddy's inexperience as a defender that messed it up

Just now, ATLIS said:

That wasn't his fault, it was Todorov's fault - he played an awkward and bobbled ball across to him that he failed to control. Said it at the time that it was harsh to blame Halkett more so it was Toddy's inexperience as a defender that messed it up

Oh come on. He got a bad ball but if in any doubt you put it in the stand or up the park. He dallied, got caught in possession and cost you the game. 

He is a terrific defender. I would take him in a heartbeat but lets not try to pretend he never costs you a goal and the ones he does cost you are someone else's fault!

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Oh come on. He got a bad ball but if in any doubt you put it in the stand or up the park. He dallied, got caught in possession and cost you the game. 

He is a terrific defender. I would take him in a heartbeat but lets not try to pretend he never costs you a goal and the ones he does cost you are someone else's fault!

I said it at the time in the stands, it was a harsh ball to give him. He could've just fucked it into the stands so maybe a little bit at fault but the ball to him was horrendous knowing the pressure would come on

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Worth noting while your talking about him thats theres been heavy English Championship interest in him, and it seems likely we'll be receiving offers in the Summer. Be interesting to see what fee he eventually goes for

5 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I said it at the time in the stands, it was a harsh ball to give him. He could've just fucked it into the stands so maybe a little bit at fault but the ball to him was horrendous knowing the pressure would come on

It wasnt "horrendous". It was a wee bit awkward and gave him a problem. Decision making is key though. Pretending it was some sort of 50/50 ball is nonsense. He tried to control it when he didnt have time to. Dobbie is deceptive that way. He isnt quick in a 20 yard sprint but over a couple of yards he is really sharp and often catches defenders and keepers dallying. 

If you insist on allocating blame I would say 80% Halkett, 20% Todorov.

I seem to remember a lot of fannying around at the back in the moments preceding with a feeling that something like that would happen. Halkett completely to blame though, he had more than enough time and stumbled over the ball.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just to balance that a bit, Halkett made a complete backside of presenting our winner in the game at Tony Macaroni in January to Dobbie.

Wouldn't say it balances anything, but you're right, that's the one time Halkett made a complete arse up in defence. Doubt any Livi fan holds it against him though, considering how solid he's been for us the last two seasons. 

Neil Alexander should get some credit too for some vital saves as well as being the first goalkeeper we've had for ages who efficiently marshalls our defence. No coincidence I think that our back line is now very efficient.

3 minutes ago, orco said:

Neil Alexander should get some credit too for some vital saves as well as being the first goalkeeper we've had for ages who efficiently marshalls our defence. No coincidence I think that our back line is now very efficient.

I think he's probably the best keeper in the division even at his age. I'm sure you're right and it's no coincidence how solid your back line is.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth noting while your talking about him thats theres been heavy English Championship interest in him, and it seems likely we'll be receiving offers in the Summer. Be interesting to see what fee he eventually goes for

I`m not surprised to hear that. He has loads of potential. I was disappointed when you took him and Kane back in January.

Archived