Your club player of the year

Without a shadow of a doubt Craig Halkett, he’s been utterly tremendous all season and will undoubtedly go on to bigger and better things in the future, a possible Scotland player id say if he makes the correct move and continues to improve the way he has done in the previous 3 seasons. 

Alan Lithgow pushes him all the way, as the op says our most improved player by some distance, been incredible to watch the improvement over the last couple of seasons. 

3rd place Shaun Byrne, for me our most influential midfielder, and that’s saying something when he’s lining up alongside Pittman and Jacobs, his energy, work rate and commitment is second to none and he’s been a real driving force for us this season. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per the debate on the Falkirk thread, my vote will go to Tom Taiwo.

I fully understand the votes for Jordan McGhee. A Rolls Royce of a defender in this league and cornerstone of our team next season but as I said before, we have endured some utter shite this season and Taiwo stood up to be counted at all times. Turned in some quality displays and showed the correct attitude. Next season I hope to be deciding between various #ballers who have contributed to a successful season, but this season I like Tommy T and his never say die, stand up and be counted attitude.

Also, he is a very handsome man.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Aird. 

He's actually somewhat transformed this season, I remember first game of the season him being out his depth completely and laughing at how poor he was - he was then subbed off 50 minutes into the game. Come the next game and he's rampant down the wing and he's been a strong player since.

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Who's going to get PotY this year actually? Likely it'll go to a St Mirren player with Ross as MotY - but could argue for Halkett/Hopkin as better candidates I'm sure

Dobbie is the league's top scorer while playing in a poor Queens team. It'll be Lewis Morgan.

For us I think you could more or less pick a name out a hat tbh.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Coll Donaldson with Liam Polworth a close second IMO.

^^^ This, although tempted to place Polworth first in reaction to the fucking roasters in our support who give him abuse week in, week out.

Honourable mention to  Mark Ridgers for a dramatic improvement after looking very shaky in his first few matches. 

I think Vigurs has been our most consistent and influential player. He showed great character to step into that role and real leadership when things weren't going well - he's always looking for the ball to try and get things started. 

All the more impressive when you consider how bad he was at times last season, and how much he is hated by a significant section of our support.

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

It'd be easy to say Morgan, and in real terms, it's Morgan.

However, I'm going to go Cammy Smith as my personal favourite and the hipster's choice. Although he's a slightly different type of player to Gowser, he plays a similar role role for us (and god did we ever miss PM after he moved to Dundee). Cammy turns play round, keeps the ball, works it out of tight spaces, and links the midfield and attack. He's always looking forwards, for the runs of Flynn/Magennis/Morgan/Reilly around him. He also weighs in with more goals than Gowser did.

Also: his workrate. He was chasing a Dumbarton fullback down to force an error when we were 4-0 up the other week. 

I think he's magic. :wub:

Cammy Smith has been your best player when you've played us, cracking player. 

50 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He's actually somewhat transformed this season, I remember first game of the season him being out his depth completely and laughing at how poor he was - he was then subbed off 50 minutes into the game. Come the next game and he's rampant down the wing and he's been a strong player since.

Think he was subbed in the first half, he was shocking though. 

49 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Who's going to get PotY this year actually? Likely it'll go to a St Mirren player with Ross as MotY - but could argue for Halkett/Hopkin as better candidates I'm sure

It'll be Morgan. 

For all that Livingston play the most defensively solid shape, and for all that Livingston fans big up Lithgow, Halkett and Alexander they've only got the joint fourth best defensive record in the league, doesn't add up. 

For all that Livingston play the most defensively solid shape, and for all that Livingston fans big up Lithgow, Halkett and Alexander they've only got the joint fourth best defensive record in the league, doesn't add up. 

I get what you're saying but stats don't tell the whole picture.

Difficult to make my mind up between Halkett and Lithgow, both have been solid in defence, and have also chipped in with plenty of goals and assists, stats only give them 5 assists but long throw ins and long passes have also contributed to a lot of our goals and aren't counted as assists if someone else got a touch on the way to the scorer. Halkett was edging it till the Morton game but Lithgow has drawn level with him now after that performance.

Pittman and Byrne in midfield are the same, can't really separate them but i'd put them 3rd and 4th.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Cammy Smith has been your best player when you've played us, cracking player. 

Think he was subbed in the first half, he was shocking though. 

It'll be Morgan. 

Is that not like saying Dobbie can't be the best striker cause Queens have  4th best goals for in the league? It is a bit easier seeing who's the best striker though as you just look at who has scored the most goals, but goals are conceded because of errors made by other players so goals against isn't a fair assessment on how good a defender is. For instance our away game against the Pars Longridge passed back to Alexander allowing a Pars player to run in on it resulting in a goal, not much Halkett could do about that, and the other 2 goals came from Aird mugging Mullin and Toddy being the makeshift defender not closing him down before he got his shots off. That's just 3 goals in a game that can't be put on Halkett, when you're just looking at goals against as a barometer for judging a certain defender.

Our vote was at the weekend and I don't think I spoke to 1 person who didn't vote for Andy Dowie. So, him.

Sounds about right. And we've desperately missed a leader at the back this season. Excellent move not re-signing him.*

* Unless he chose to go PT of course.

Ours is obvious and he really should get it for the league as well. I doubt any other striker in the division would score 22 goals if they were playing with the shite we have. It'll no doubt go to a St Mirren player.

The MotY is quite comfortably Hopkin. Ross has won the league very comfortably but it's no surprise to see them win it. To see Livi sitting 2nd has surely surprised even the most deluded Livi fan. Similar to Steve Clarke actually, who has done wonders at Killie but he'll no doubt miss out because super Sellic have achieved what was expected of them.

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I'd say Jack Ross and Cammy Smith. Hopkin has done a terrific job but the consistency Jack Ross has achieved over the course of the season is hard to argue with. Not many people tipped us to win the league this year. Pre-season all the chat was about Dundee Utd and Falkirk. Neither of whom are anywhere near. 

Player of the year is really between Cammy Smith, Morgan, Halkett and I think Harkins could be in with a chance. Polworth of Inverness has impressed me as well, even when Inverness were rubbish in the first 10 or so games. 

Archived