Annan Athletic v Elgin City

Annan even for central belt ECFC fans like myself is a bit of a trek,so hope it will be a worthwhile visit and  we can put in a performance similar to last week's against the Binos , although our record at Galabank over the years has not been that good. Weather should not be an issue and if we are going to compete for a top four slot we need to take something from the next two  games before we meet the top two in the league, in the penultimate and final games of the season.

Nathan Flanagan had a dream start last week with a cracking goal so hope he will go back and do the business against one of his old teams.

Just back in after a 11 hour  expedition to the South West by public transport and to be honest, that will be the last  time I do that. Miserable weather all day and a result to match it.

Tactically we were completely outfoxed by Annan but it also helps when our defenders do not present them with the ball 6 yards out from our goal line, for them to score their first(not for the first time this season either).Brett Long was not a happy teddy I can tell you as I was standing right behind him:wacko: Annan are not a brilliant footballing team but they play to their strengths which is defend deep and hit teams on the break which they did for the third and fourth superbly . The second came from a corner with the city defence sleeping again. You can make your own mind up when you see the "Highlights" if you dare to watch!

The first half produced only two shots at goal from Elgin, one of which went well over the bar, despite the amount of possession we had. Its all very well passing the ball back and forth at the back but the object is to score and we never looked like were going to penetrate the stuffy Annan defence. 

The second half was  the same until Mcleish got injured and Byrne came on with Shane Sutherland pushing more up front which  proved a bit more positive for Elgin and he got his goal. Jordan Allan also hit the upright with  a header from a cross but I never at any point in the game thought that we were going to overcome the deficit and when they scored the third, that was curtains.

Another fruitless season for Elgin with totally erratic results and some pretty humiliating ones in the last couple of months, not forgetting the 7-0 at New Year. Forget promotion as I could never envisage Elgin at the next level  unless there is a complete root and branch rethink about what our long term objectives are. This of course would require investment to bring in better quality players. 

My MOTM was Brett Long who saved us from a more humiliating defeat by producing at least three brilliant saves and the only outfield player who gets any kudos is Shane Sutherland  who is miles ahead of anyone else in class , even at this stage of his rehabilitation. Not just my opinion as I spoke to a few others who thought the same.

The crowd today was only 282 which reflects Annan's season as well, as their fans can't be bothered either . There were around another 10 Elgin fans in the stand  who made the effort to get down to Annan(at least 3 from Elgin that I know) which brings me to my parting shot; it would be  appreciated if the Elgin players took the trouble to at least give some form of appreciation at the end of the game to those fans instead of just heading off down the tunnel. Same at Berwick a couple of Tuesday's ago. Just a thought!!

Badger  - you are to totaly correct  on 1 thing - public transport is shit - even with your bus pass.

Poor crowd ,yes but  what have  we to play for  ,hee haw.

Weather miserable ? F   me man that's the best  we've had for the last 4 games.You Highlanders get  a wee bit snow  but u cannae hack the biting winds doon here. ( don't feel ashamed,tough for us too).Saturday was mild  compared to the  previous games.

Football s about winning games so stuff all that shit  about Annan playing to their strengths as if  they didn' t deserve the win.We cuffed  u big style and we saw 4 quality  goals.

General feeling is Elgin always  a decent team but never want promoted.You tell me

Just back in after a 11 hour  expedition to the South West by public transport and to be honest, that will be the last  time I do that. Miserable weather all day and a result to match it.
Tactically we were completely outfoxed by Annan but it also helps when our defenders do not present them with the ball 6 yards out from our goal line, for them to score their first(not for the first time this season either).

Our first was scored from around 18 yards

Philosopher never said that Annan did not deserve win” tactically we were completely outfoxed  by Annan” to me would imply that Annan were the better team? In fact, I made the point that had it not been for our   goalie we could have suffered a bigger hiding-as if 4-1 was not bad enough. The point I was making for Elgin fans who were not there was and having just seen the highlights which has reinforced my point, was that our defending was very poor, especially for goals 1 and 2. Goals 3 and 4 were well worked and well taken.

In the first 45 we only had two shots on goals, one of which sailed over and only Sutherland’s went anywhere near the sticks but even  though we played a bit better in the second half after McLeish went off and Sutherland moved forward, at no point in the game did I think we were ever going to take anything from it, even after we scored.

The disappointment was having beaten the Binos convincingly the week before, we revert to type as we have done too often this season.

On the poor crowd I did also say that it reflected Annan’s season as well, so we concur on that point.

On your last point about Elgin always being a decent side but never wanting promotion: personally I have always argued that once having joined the league we should try and progress to the next level. However, getting and keeping quality players like Peterhead requires  resources way beyond which we have at present and even some HFL clubs are better financed that we are, so unless there is a major injection of finance into the club, it is unlikely that we will progress.

Archived