Complete SPFL Prize Money List

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pressure on Morton then, otherwise they'll continue be your wee team for at least a considerable period of time.

Last year, by finishing 4th in League One we would have earned (just short of) double that of the rock bottom SPFL team.  By winning the playoffs, we've gone and doubled that simply by being relegation fodder.  A nice silver lining, but a bit mental.

It's much better now that the gulf between 2nd and 3rd in the top flight has reduced.

I'd rather the distribution was more egalitarian, but if it's getting dished out as prize money, this kind of model makes sense.

Guest Flash

Don’t think those figures include the parachute payments for relegated Premiership clubs.

If the team finishing 11th in Premiership is relegated, they get an additional £500k in first season after relegation, so that would be £1.63m in total. They get another £250k in the following season assuming they don’t go back up.

Team finishing 12th gets an additional £300k in first season after relegation, so that would be £1.37m in total. They get another £125k in the following season assuming they don’t go back up.

So the team automatically relegated gets more than 3 times as much prize money as their closest competitors in the Championship (ie the team that finished second). 

13 hours ago, Flash said:

Don’t think those figures include the parachute payments for relegated Premiership clubs.

If the team finishing 11th in Premiership is relegated, they get an additional £500k in first season after relegation, so that would be £1.63m in total. They get another £250k in the following season assuming they don’t go back up.

Team finishing 12th gets an additional £300k in first season after relegation, so that would be £1.37m in total. They get another £125k in the following season assuming they don’t go back up.

So the team automatically relegated gets more than 3 times as much prize money as their closest competitors in the Championship (ie the team that finished second). 

Since the demise of the SPL there really should now be little need for parachute payments at all.

The problem is though that's there's still a cliff face between the top two flights, that doesn't exist between the other divisions.  

Minimising that would mean parachute payments (which are essentially unsporting) could disappear.

Since the demise of the SPL there really should now be little need for parachute payments at all. The problem is though that's there's still a cliff face between the to two flights, that doesn't exist between the other divisions.  Minimising that would mean parachute payments (which are essentially unsporting) could disappear. 

I think we should all show some gratitude towards Dundee Utd for being such good sport here. Would be very tempting just to use their three substantial parachute packages to simply buy one's way back up, but they've evidently resisted the urge.

[emoji122]

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The interesting thing to me is how little a difference it makes finishing 5th to 8th in the Championship. Just £47k. Probably not that much of a motivator for Falkirk to push for those higher places....

Enough to sign another alex harris surely?

17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The interesting thing to me is how little a difference it makes finishing 5th to 8th in the Championship. Just £47k. Probably not that much of a motivator for Falkirk to push for those higher places....

I dunno, I've heard it's possible to finish 7th then utterly waltz the league the next year. Maybe push for it?

I dunno, I've heard it's possible to finish 7th then utterly waltz the league the next year. Maybe push for it?

Expecting a completely different squad next season so highly unpredictable how we will do.

Impressive performance by Saints this season. Don’t think it’s likely to be a regular occurrence though.

Surely the standard cant get any worse next season? United must get their act together eventually, the team that comes down cant be as bad as ict and we should be a different prospect altogether. I reckon next season will be a lot tougher.

Surely the standard cant get any worse next season? United must get their act together eventually, the team that comes down cant be as bad as ict and we should be a different prospect altogether. I reckon next season will be a lot tougher.

Don’t know. I think if Thistle come down they could be another ICT.
On the other hand, Ross County will have the cash for an immediate promotion push and Dundee will spark a flagging Dundee United into a potential promotion war.
Really hard to predict much at the moment.

Brechin's is being withheld due to bringing the game into disrepute this season.

Very good .
At least City are nt in debt and pay their players.
Same could be said for Utd the year they were relegated selling good players and accepting relegation.

23 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

Is this paid out over a season or a lump sum

Wasn't there a situation where Gretna needed the money so not to fold and asked for it in advance? Not sure if that was the whole lot or just the final instalment.

It's a different body now though so maybe it's handled differently.

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Wasn't there a situation where Gretna needed the money so not to fold and asked for it in advance? Not sure if that was the whole lot or just the final instalment.

It's a different body now though so maybe it's handled differently.

Yes, in early 2008 it became clear Gretna were in serious trouble, so the SPL forwarded them the monies they would have received at the end of the season.

Wise decision, as it avoided the chaos and embarrassment of a team going bust in mid season.

6 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

Thanks for sharing. What was the source? Do you believe it’s quite accurate ?

I normally include source, but it was ripped from the Record. There are other sites reporting it, so I've perhaps stupidly assumed the Record got it right!

Archived