Absolute shocker

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I was hoping the social media age and the benefits of alternative news sources would counter the traditional practices of manufacturing consent for war, but it seems our atrocious propaganda rags still have their influence. 

The US will be scrambling to get their bombs away before the OPCW has had a chance to investigate anything.

The Russians have warned again at the UN that attacks on bases where their personnel are stationed will result in grave consequences, and have said that the sources of any attacks will be retaliated against. Incredible to think there are actually utter lunatics like John Bolton sitting there advising the president to do it anyway.

Tony Blair has popped up recently to say that May should sanction air strikes without parliamentary approval.

17 minutes ago, Father Ted said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
I'm concerned as well about this madness from multiple sides, but I don't get how this will feed "neoliberal greed". Who gains anything?

The greed is for oil and gas. No one gains anything as far as I can see

Russia gets to keep their Naval Base on the Med, and air bases. There's not much oil or gas in Syria, but the US has taken sides with the Gulf Sunnis against Iran who are heavily involved in Syria, so maybe there's the oil interest. Both sides want to show off their arms in action to enhance sales too.

There's apparently been 20 or more chemical attacks in Syria, perpetrators often not proven. But there's only been 2 to hit the news, when video cameras/phones have been around. People launch missiles because of hits on Youtube. It's an insane scary world.

3 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Boris has disgraced himself, again, but I'm not sure how the UK gains from picking a fight with Russia in this supposed grand conspriacy.

For those with the time, this (very long) Buzzfeed article from last year looks at 14 suspicious deaths of people living in Britain with links to Russia:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/from-russia-with-blood-14-suspected-hits-on-british-soil?utm_term=.rh4xVGxLq#.sd979q78A

The implication is that the Russian intelligence services have been doing this for a while, and we've just turned a blind eye.

Here's a list of suspicious Russian deaths since 2014: http://xsovietunion.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/list-of-suspicious-russia-related.html

Obviously not everyone will actually be some assassination but there is no question that the Russian secret services have committed these kind of black ops in recent times.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's not much oil or gas in Syria, but the US has taken sides with the Gulf Sunnis against Iran who are heavily involved in Syria, so maybe there's the oil interest. 

Syria's relationship to the oil market has more to do with pipeline logistics though.

14 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

Syria's relationship to the oil market has more to do with pipeline logistics though.

Good point. It's a complicated world.

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/is-the-fight-over-a-gas-pipeline-fuelling-the-worlds-bloodiest-conflict/news-story/74efcba9554c10bd35e280b63a9afb74

I'm kicking back with a cargo feeling all smug after spending the day decorating my living room just incase there is a nuclear war and they hit Faslane. You always see a  building blasted with 1 or 2 walls still standing. So hopefully my feature wall is one of those remaining. It would be nice for the survivors in the desolate wastelands to see a lovely bit of colour coordinated wallpapering when they are starving and bits are falling off them due to radiation sickness.

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm kicking back with a cargo feeling all smug after spending the day decorating my living room just incase there is a nuclear war and they hit Faslane. You always see a  building blasted with 1 or 2 walls still standing. So hopefully my feature wall is one of those remaining. It would be nice for the survivors in the desolate wastelands to see a lovely bit of colour coordinated wallpapering when they are starving and bits are falling off them due to radiation sickness.

Or to use it's proper name -  Greenock.

15 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I was hoping the social media age and the benefits of alternative news sources would counter the traditional practices of manufacturing consent for war, but it seems our atrocious propaganda rags still have their influence. 

The US will be scrambling to get their bombs away before the OPCW has had a chance to investigate anything.

The Russians have warned again at the UN that attacks on bases where their personnel are stationed will result in grave consequences, and have said that the sources of any attacks will be retaliated against. Incredible to think there are actually utter lunatics like John Bolton sitting there advising the president to do it anyway.

Talking of propaganda, the BBC has news bulletins every half hour for the majority of the day, every day, on all it's radio stations. Then it has the hourly bulletins on TV and the main news shows, plus it's own news channel, website, and Twitter account, just in case you don't get their version of events and distractions

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Talking of propaganda, the BBC has news bulletins every half hour for the majority of the day, every day, on all it's radio stations. Then it has the hourly bulletins on TV and the main news shows, plus it's own news channel, website, and Twitter account, just in case you don't get their version of events and distractions

What? Is this a joke?

My main problem with the BBC at the moment is that their website is full of Buzzfeed level fluff when they should be better than that.

Anyone who thinks the US and Britain (or any other country for these batter, except maybe those lovely Scandinavians) act on humanitarian grounds needs to read this article.

What bothers me is how little this stuff gets reported, especially on outlets like the BBC or CNN.

Anyone who thinks the US and Britain (or any other country for these batter, except maybe those lovely Scandinavians) act on humanitarian grounds needs to read this article.

What bothers me is how little this stuff gets reported, especially on outlets like the BBC or CNN.
I hate to disillusion you but the Russkies have suggested the Swedes may have poisoned the Salisbury spy and daughter.

The international chemical weapons watchdog has backed Britain’s findings on the identity of the chemical used in the Salisbury nerve agent attack.

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said an analysis of samples taken from the Russian former spy Sergei Skripal, his daughter Yulia, and Det Sgt Nick Bailey confirmed the assessment of the UK, which has said that the three were affected by novichok, a military grade nerve agent developed by Russia. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/12/novichok-used-in-spy-poisoning-chemical-weapons-watchdog-confirms-salisbury

No doubt our chemical engineers will have the latest message from Russia Today to dispute this shortly. 

The international chemical weapons watchdog has backed Britain’s findings on the identity of the chemical used in the Salisbury nerve agent attack.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said an analysis of samples taken from the Russian former spy Sergei Skripal, his daughter Yulia, and Det Sgt Nick Bailey confirmed the assessment of the UK, which has said that the three were affected by novichok, a military grade nerve agent developed by Russia. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/12/novichok-used-in-spy-poisoning-chemical-weapons-watchdog-confirms-salisbury

No doubt our chemical engineers will have the latest message from Russia Today to dispute this shortly. 

Developed by,and used by,are now the same thing?

19 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Developed by,and used by,are now the same thing?

The OPCW rules mean they're not allowed to attribute blame.

Archived