Absolute shocker

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

The sudden talent for advanced chemical engineering is coming to the top of several contributors. 

People who seem oblivious to how differing doses can have differing impacts. 

We live in an age of wonders. 

I don't think anyone is trying to argue on an advanced scientific level, 

It really does just come down to the credibility of the claims, and of those making them.

Obviously these 'Russian' nerve agents aren't particularly effective. 

The NHS appear to be able to cure the incurable, and they take nearly a month to kill cats & gerbils - especially if you leave them without water for weeks.

If the UK had nerve agents (which we don't, obviously), I'm sure that they would be properly effective. 

On 06/04/2018 at 18:00, welshbairn said:

It's not surprising the FO fucked up with Boris in charge and the twitter boy trying to back up his boss. Porton Down stated they couldn't confirm the source a week before Boris botched the interview. I wouldn't call an obvious fuckup a cover up. Meanwhile the OPCW could have something to compare the samples with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/06/uk-us-case-file-russian-nerve-agent-shikhany-spy-poisoning

http://old.themoscowtimes.com/sitemap/free/2006/7/article/suspect-captured-in-top-bankers-killing/203990.html/

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201804031063167359-russia-uk-toxic-substances-development-speculations/

Bear in mind the Russians are denying they ever produced the stuff.

It's not a fk up it's a lie.  He literally invented that entire conversation.

43 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

the 100% nobody survives nerve agent

From your huge knowledge of the topic? Or did you just pull that from your arse. 

All chemicals that are potentially harmful to humans are dose dependent. Dosage without direct intravenous injection can be very difficult to administer. In the 1995 Tokyo Subway nerve gas attack about 12 people died but over 1050 were injured. Attacks in Iraq and Syria also show far more survivors than killed such as in Halabja.

But then again jet fuel does not melt steel and all that. ;)

3 hours ago, dorlomin said:

From your huge knowledge of the topic? Or did you just pull that from your arse. 

All chemicals that are potentially harmful to humans are dose dependent. Dosage without direct intravenous injection can be very difficult to administer. In the 1995 Tokyo Subway nerve gas attack about 12 people died but over 1050 were injured. Attacks in Iraq and Syria also show far more survivors than killed such as in Halabja.

But then again jet fuel does not melt steel and all that. ;)

It was widely reported in  the newspapers and on tv

Apparently chlorine gas evaporates quickly and leaves little trace in the body, so it might be impossible to prove what happened either way. I'd hope the West would need more than a couple of videos and opposition witness statements to go to war without corroborative intelligence. Even Fox is expressing doubts.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Apparently chlorine gas evaporates quickly and leaves little trace in the body, so it might be impossible to prove what happened either way. I'd hope the West would need more than a couple of videos and opposition witness statements to go to war without corroborative intelligence. Even Fox is expressing doubts.

Corroborative Intelligence can be provided if required.

*cough* Tony Blair *cough*

The West dont need any evidence to go to war. They tried it the last time but ended up not going in because Westminster voted it down then a few months later it turned out that the rebels were responsible. Surprise surprise.

Europe wants to cut out Russia when it comes to gas and the likes of Syria and Iran are in the way.

Boris has disgraced himself, again, but I'm not sure how the UK gains from picking a fight with Russia in this supposed grand conspriacy.

For those with the time, this (very long) Buzzfeed article from last year looks at 14 suspicious deaths of people living in Britain with links to Russia:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/from-russia-with-blood-14-suspected-hits-on-british-soil?utm_term=.rh4xVGxLq#.sd979q78A

The implication is that the Russian intelligence services have been doing this for a while, and we've just turned a blind eye.

By no means an expert on nerve agents but I read elsewhere that they work by attacking enzymes in the body, destroying them faster than the body can create them. If you can slow the victim's metabolism down and keep them alive long enough, the nerve agent degrades and the body's enzyme production overtakes the destructive effects. In this case the victims were put into induced comas  for a week. Not something that could be done on a battlefield or with mass casualties. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

By no means an expert on nerve agents but I read elsewhere that they work by attacking enzymes in the body, destroying them faster than the body can create them. If you can slow the victim's metabolism down and keep them alive long enough, the nerve agent degrades and the body's enzyme production overtakes the destructive effects. In this case the victims were put into induced comas  for a week. Not something that could be done on a battlefield or with mass casualties. 

Probably handy having Porton Down medical experts nearby too with the right equipment and knowledge to safely treat them quickly. Great fodder for fans of "alternative facts" though.

This whole Skrpal saga and now this alleged gas attack in Syria and the US supposedly sending in jets tonight.

This isn't going to end well. This won't some tinpot war in a far off country. This keeps snowballing it will affect everyone.

Does neoliberal greed have no bounds? These idiots need to get in the sea before somebody decides that nuclear seems a good option.

I am very concerned tonight.

100 years ago people objected to the likes of Chlorine gas - not because they were against war or even against killing lots of people even.

Apparently it just wasn't sporting.  I wonder if that will get a mention at the UN.

5 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

This whole Skrpal saga and now this alleged gas attack in Syria and the US supposedly sending in jets tonight.

This isn't going to end well. This won't some tinpot war in a far off country. This keeps snowballing it will affect everyone.

Does neoliberal greed have no bounds? These idiots need to get in the sea before somebody decides that nuclear seems a good option.

I am very concerned tonight.

I'm concerned as well about this madness from multiple sides, but I don't get how this will feed "neoliberal greed". Who gains anything?

13 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

100 years ago people objected to the likes of Chlorine gas - not because they were against war or even against killing lots of people even.

Apparently it just wasn't sporting.  I wonder if that will get a mention at the UN.

Churchill thought gas could be a kindly way to subdue the unruly.

"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. We have definitely adopted the position at the Peace Conference of arguing in favour of the retention of gas as a permanent method of warfare. It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gasses: gasses can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected." 1919

I was hoping the social media age and the benefits of alternative news sources would counter the traditional practices of manufacturing consent for war, but it seems our atrocious propaganda rags still have their influence. 

The US will be scrambling to get their bombs away before the OPCW has had a chance to investigate anything.

The Russians have warned again at the UN that attacks on bases where their personnel are stationed will result in grave consequences, and have said that the sources of any attacks will be retaliated against. Incredible to think there are actually utter lunatics like John Bolton sitting there advising the president to do it anyway.

Archived