Berwick vs Stenny

I've got a bad feeling about this. Any time you expect this Stenhousemuir team to step up and deliver a decisive performance, they fail to do it, so why should a trip to take on a dire Berwick Rangers side, with virtually nothing to play for, be any different? Even the guarantee of a place in the play-offs might not be enough. For want of a better expression, we shat ourselves against Montrose and gave them nothing difficult to think about, and I'm worried it might happen again here.

Will Mark McGuigan be fit for the match? While I don't necessarily agree with "Moonglum25"'s suggestion that the team should go gung-ho from the offset, we do need to make some changes from Saturday; I just can't think of any. There isn't a lot of room for alterations.

Despite all that, I'd be hugely disappointed if we didn't win this. I don't have the stomach for a do-or-die clash with Stirling Albion on Saturday and would much rather go into the fixture knowing a top-four finish is secure.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got a bad feeling about this. Any time you expect this Stenhousemuir team to step up and deliver a decisive performance, they fail to do it, so why should a trip to take on a dire Berwick Rangers side, with virtually nothing to play for, be any different? Even the guarantee of a place in the play-offs might not be enough. For want of a better expression, we shat ourselves against Montrose and gave them nothing difficult to think about, and I'm worried it might happen again here.
Will Mark McGuigan be fit for the match? While I don't necessarily agree with "Moonglum25"'s suggestion that the team should go gung-ho from the offset, we do need to make some changes from Saturday; I just can't think of any. There isn't a lot of room for alterations.
Despite all that, I'd be hugely disappointed if we didn't win this. I don't have the stomach for a do-or-die clash with Stirling Albion on Saturday and would much rather go into the fixture knowing a top-four finish is secure.

To be honest if stenny blow it then the manager and team need a long hard look at themselves ok Montrose at home isn't easy but all you needed was 6 points from a potential 15 Annan Berwick twice and Stirling away . Berwick seem to have picked up but if your going for the play offs and have to win there most teams would take that. We have done really well to take it to the last game if the season considering where we were turn of the year . If stenny lose to Berwick we will make the play offs for sure i think stenny need to win tomorrow Don't know what's happened to Stirling as in the 2 1 win they had against they looked pretty good
All to play for would much rather be in the position of having it in our own hands but as said great to still be in the mix

If we don't make the play-offs, Brown Ferguson will probably have to go. It's difficult to say as he's come across superbly whenever I've met him and I really want him to be a huge success at Stenhousemuir, but there can be no excuses for his side failing to finish in the top four in this division. Even although we're still in race for promotion, it's been a disappointing season so far - while I didn't expect us to win the league, I did expect us to mount some kind of challenge and so to find the team 24 points from the summit just isn't good enough.

If we don't make the play-offs, Brown Ferguson will probably have to go. It's difficult to say as he's come across superbly whenever I've met him and I really want him to be a huge success at Stenhousemuir, but there can be no excuses for his side failing to finish in the top four in this division. Even although we're still in race for promotion, it's been a disappointing season so far - while I didn't expect us to win the league, I did expect us to mount some kind of challenge and so to find the team 24 points from the summit just isn't good enough.

Spot on

35 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Oddly I can see Stenny slithering into the play-offs at the last gasp and sneaking up unexpectedly.

They should put this to bed tonight IMO.

Do what Brechin done last season, you mean?

The key word there is "should".  You are right though, we should be winning this tonight.

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

kind of, yes, although I can't see the 4th placed team in league two garnering only four points all next season in league one...

We would be guaranteed 12 points off Airdrie so, that shouldn't happen.

14 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

So what would your tactics be  - settle for a draw and hope everything goes right on Saturday or go all out tonight and get the win?   If we are drawing tonight at what point would you thow caution to the wind or would you accept the point and pin all our hopes on Saturday?

Incidently as far as I am aware Ferns will not be making the trip to Berwick.

12 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

So what would your tactics be  - settle for a draw and hope everything goes right on Saturday or go all out tonight and get the win?   If we are drawing tonight at what point would you thow caution to the wind or would you accept the point and pin all our hopes on Saturday?

Incidently as far as I am aware Ferns will not be making the trip to Berwick.

No mate, I would like us to play with "adventurous control" against Berwick Rangers this evening - we should be looking to play through Harry Paton, get him on the ball further up the pitch (there were times on Saturday when he was dropping between the centre-backs to get the ball) and work the ball to the wingers. We won't win by playing so-called long passes, so making sure we go through our best player is a must.

By going all out from the start, I'd be worried we don't have the personnel to change things if the game goes against us. If the game is turning against us, I'd like to see the changes made before the 80-minute mark anyway!

Archived