Queen's Park v East Fife

Before today I was scratching my head about why QP were at the bottom of the table. Now I can see why. Against us they have been terrific at grabbing the first goal and hanging onto it.

Today we dominated the first half hour but faded towards the break. QP had their best spell of the game immediately before and after half-time but reverted back to conceding possession cheaply and once we scored the third you could sense their arses collectively caving in.

That's not to say we didn't play well- I thought Connor McManus and Scott Allardice were excellent and it was brilliant to see Pat Slattery score the winner. Special mention to Chris Kane who came off the bench and didn't put a foot wrong at the back...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get one thing straight I have kept quiet for a number of weeks regarding Gus but today was a step to far. Gerry lasted 20 minutes in training on Thursday but Gus decides to start him I our most important game of the season. I said earlier in the season Kev Green had left us, well after today I think all QP fans will have wish I was correct. Ruth is just a pawn in the game unfortunately, been with us a number of years now the bigger clubs are interested. Playing him in the first team means we can get full value rather than half value we normally get. Trust me. 

To me Gus is finished he is old school and that does not work anymore. All players need looked after one way or another. Gus's way is stick or stick no carrot.

He has no trust from players or staff hence why so many changes over the years. 

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And taking McVey, a true Spider who was having a great game, out of play in a game where we are battling for survival to blood a sixteen year old rookie was madness. Shocking behaviour from MacPherson swearing at McVey as he walked off.

You don’t understand why a defensive midfielder was replaced by an attacker when we went 3-2 down? Really? 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

You don’t understand why a defensive midfielder was replaced by an attacker when we went 3-2 down? Really? 

And how much did the 'attacker' influence the game? We already had  a potent strikeforce (with more up front than any other game of the season)  that had supplied two of the best goals of the season. It was another desperate roll of the dice from a manager who's own blinkered outcome is more important than Queen's Park's.  The game went flat after that substitution. You yourself made much of how difficult it is for youngsters to step up during the League Cup campaign and yet at a time when we need all our committed players on the pitch you think it's tactically sound to bring a 16 year old into the fray. Conor got hooked for making two poor passes and the verbal abuse he got from his boss was shameful.   

Gus is running on empty. We're entirely dependant on the players now.

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And how much did the 'attacker' influence the game? We already had  a potent strikeforce (with more up front than any other game of the season)  that had supplied two of the best goals of the season. It was another desperate roll of the dice from a manager who's own blinkered outcome is more important than Queen's Park's.  The game went flat after that substitution. You yourself made much of how difficult it is for youngsters to step up during the League Cup campaign and yet at a time when we need all our committed players on the pitch you think it's tactically sound to bring a 16 year old into the fray. Conor got hooked for making two poor passes and the verbal abuse he got from his boss was shameful.   

Gus is running on empty. We're entirely dependant on the players now.

No, the game went flat as a result of us losing our best player and a third goal within 30 seconds of each other. It didn’t go flat as a result of a defensive midfielder being substituted with 15 minutes left. 

We needed a goal. We had an attacker on the bench who doesn’t score goals and a wildcard. Might as well go with the wildcard in that instance. If he doesn’t score, it’s not going to dent his confidence in the way that starting a teenage defender and him getting a roasting will. As for any verbals McVey may  have received. So what? It’s football, not ballet dancing.

According to you, it’s always been dependent on players and any success has been inspite of Gus, so nothing’s really changed, then?

What a strange game that was! Though East Fife were excellent for the first 20 mins when I think our new formation caught QP by surprise. There was then a 10 minute spell where hee haw happened then the last 15 mins of the first half & first 15 mins of second half it was all QP & they looked as if they could score at will. Surprisingly after it went 2-2 the game turned in EF's favour with the introduction of Kev Smith & Pat Slattery. Well worked goal for the winner & Pat was buzzin after the game. 

Good to get on the mantelpiece for once, should be a cracking game against the Smokies next week.

32 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Didn't think you were from the seventies.  I'll still be a QP fan when Macpherson leaves. Don't know how you'll cope without him.

Are you ok?

My perspective is that the game changed in the second half at 2-2 when East Fife brought on Slattery and Smith. Up until then EF we’re gifting Queens ball after ball in midfield, which the likes of Donnelly and McVey collected for another QP attack. Those balls dried up and with it our attacks.

Still think Green should never be near the squad.

Pat Slattery. Someone else that wasn't good enough for Gus.
From what I remember Slattery came to QP on loan from QoS mid-way through 2014-15, after the loan spell signed until the end of the season and then after we lost to Stenny in the play-off final he was offered a contract by East Fife, who had been promoted and could pay him money. So I think it was more that QP weren't good enough for him.

From what I remember Slattery came to QP on loan from QoS mid-way through 2014-15, after the loan spell signed until the end of the season and then after we lost to Stenny in the play-off final he was offered a contract by East Fife, who had been promoted and could pay him money. So I think it was more that QP weren't good enough for him.

37 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:
On 07/04/2018 at 20:48, Bring Your Own Socks said:

East fife were in the same league as us when Slattery signed for East Fife. They won the league the same year we got promoted 

1 hour ago, qpfc said:
East fife were in the same league as us when Slattery signed for East Fife. They won the league the same year we got promoted 

I stand corrected.

However, I'm sure Slattery left Queen's rather than Gus getting rid of him. He was a regular after he signed that season. 

For all that Slattery may have put one of the final nails in our coffin, he was distinctly average in his time with us and I don't recall any of our revisionists clammering to get him signed at the time. Let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a weak argument though.

I can't remember a single thing about Pat Slattery even though I probably saw every home game he played for us. Saturday - thought we were on our way when Galtie banged in the equalizer., but the injury to Keena, the East Fife substitutions working out better than ours, and the all too familiar "late fade" put paid to that. A pity, as in the lead up to half time and for a period early in the second half Queen's played some of the best football I've seen us play this season.

Ever since the 60 second collapse in the 88th minute in the last home game v Albion Rovers I've been convinced that we won't win another game at Hampden this season. As An86 said, we're "as soft as shite." I've always felt that tossing away that 2-0 lead v Rovers would be the moment that would come back to haunt us at the end of the season. Yet for all that, there's still a chance of a play off place instead of automatic relegation. Anything from the Raith game would be a miracle, but there's hope of a sneaky wee win at Forfar . Whatever happens we  may end up having to win against Arbroath at Hampden in the final game. Ah well.

33 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yep, we signed Slattery from QoS the summer after his loan spell at QP. He's just played his 10th game for the club and has been an important player for us over the last 3 years,

10 games in three years...........impressive!

Archived