Utd v Dumbarton

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

People taking the moral high ground against the Premier League/Champions League is always fun. Always the rant of the tiresome 'yer da' bore down the pub.

Yeah, imagine deciding to actually watch the team you support rather than a bunch of millionaires on the television. How dull.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

People taking the moral high ground against the Premier League/Champions League is always fun. Always the rant of the tiresome 'yer da' bore down the pub.

They have a point.  Why would people who claim to be football fans want to watch the best footballers in Europe if not the world?

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

That last sentence is the most depressing thing I've ever read on here. Sarto is spot on. Why the f**k you would sacrifice supporting your own team to watch two teams you have absolutely no interest in is beyond me.  

The Champions League reference is perhaps a little misleading and draws an argument I've little interest in. The primary point is i'm not interested in trailing up to watch a group of players feel sorry for themselves when they should at least try to compete. 

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Why would the guy spend a fair amount of money to trail thru here to watch his team make little or no effort when he could be watching the latter stages of the Champions League in the comfort of his own home? If his team have no intention of putting in the graft, why should he?

ETA - how many fans will Dundee take through to Celtic Park on wednesday night to watch them get rinsed? Of the people not going, how many do you think would rather watch the Liverpool vs Man City game on the tv the same night?

Why go to any games then when you can save money and be sat in the comfort of your own home? That's a ridiculous argument. 

How does he or you know they're going to put in little or no effort?

I love it when fans give a game a swerve involving their team and then regret it when they miss out on some action. If you knew exactly how every game was going to pan out there would be no point in going to any game.

8 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

The Champions League reference is perhaps a little misleading and draws an argument I've little interest in. The primary point is i'm not interested in trailing up to watch a group of players feel sorry for themselves when they should at least try to compete. 

Fair enough. 

Why go to any games then when you can save money and be sat in the comfort of your own home? That's a ridiculous argument. 
I love it when fans give a game a swerve involving their team and then regret it when they miss out on some action. If you knew exactly how every game was going to pan out there would be no point in going to any game.
Given their match threads, id say its pretty safe to say they have downed tools. You havent answered my question which is why should the guy spend his hard earned money coming through to watch a team going through the motions? United have 7 games left, 4 of which are at home. I will be at the home games as ive got my season ticket but if people think im spending my money to travel to away games to see those fuckin wage thieves led by that clown, they are sadly mistaken

11 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
16 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Given their match threads, id say its pretty safe to say they have downed tools. You havent answered my question which is why should the guy spend his hard earned money coming through to watch a team going through the motions? United have 7 games left, 4 of which are at home. I will be at the home games as ive got my season ticket but if people think im spending my money to travel to away games to see those fuckin wage thieves led by that clown, they are sadly mistaken

I already answered your question. Unless their match threads are full of clairvoyants they have no idea what performance their team will put on. Given that they are playing against the worst Utd team in history there is a fair chance they could witness a victory to help get them out of the play off spot.  

If people want to pick and choose the games they go to that's their prerogative but if people are going to choose to sit at home watching Champions League or English Premiership matches instead of Scottish matches then the game's a bogey and we might as well call it a day. 

This debate has no logical conclusion. Everyone has their own personal set of circumstances and views on attending games and/or choosing to watch games on TV andhtey can do whatever they feel like. Personally I try and get to every single home game but away games are a totally different story because I have a young baby now and my wife has given me plenty of free passes for Tannadice but limited passes for away games which is perfectly reasonable (and I obviously want to spend time with my son). As for watching games on the TV I am one of those sad Scottish football anoraks in that I would quite happily sit and watch BBC Alba's coverage of Alloa v Cowdenbeath over an English Premiership game any day of the week (but this is also partly due to the fact that I know I can see the highlights of the English games later on). If I had complete freedom in my football viewing I would go and see United every week regardless of our current situation and I would also try and get to Forfar (or one of the other Angus teams) as often as I could because I enjoy it. 

29 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I already answered your question. Unless their match threads are full of clairvoyants they have no idea what performance their team will put on. Given that they are playing against the worst Utd team in history there is a fair chance they could witness a victory to help get them out of the play off spot.  

If people want to pick and choose the games they go to that's their prerogative but if people are going to choose to sit at home watching Champions League or English Premiership matches instead of Scottish matches then the game's a bogey and we might as well call it a day. 

With the exception of cup games and the Brechin games I could have a damn good go at predicting our performance, given they've been almost identical for the past 12 weeks or so.

00:00 Kick off
09:27 Opposition miss their third clear cut chance
23:49 Our first shot arrives. It's speculative and from 35 yards. The 'keeper saves it
38:19 We fall behind
63:22 We make a like-for-like change
66:33 We go 2-0 down
71:13 A player who should've started comes on for someone who shouldn't
83:39 Haven't crossed the halfway line for ten minutes.
88:49 An attacking player comes on, looks lively, but becomes the only player in a Sons shirt to cross halfway.
93:11 Full-time

9 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

With the exception of cup games and the Brechin games I could have a damn good go at predicting our performance, given they've been almost identical for the past 12 weeks or so.

23:49 Our first shot arrives. It's speculative and from 35 yards. The 'keeper saves it
88:49 An attacking player comes on, looks lively, but becomes the only player in a Sons shirt to cross halfway.

Uncanny

:lol:

Such is the negativity surrounding both teams I take it Leonard Cohen will do the half time entertainment whereupon both sets of fans will leap lemming like from the top of the stands, How do those brave forty people who watch Fort William every week cope with losing 20 - 0 at every game. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I have a strong feeling that this thread is going to be a whole lot more entertaining than the fixture in question ;)

I particularly enjoy the contributions from the Dundee fan who moved to Australia yet wants to lecture us on attending games.

34 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Do you just copy United match reports then change a couple of the words as that match description looks very familiar. This promises to be a horrible game of football where if it were somehow possible both teams will lose. 

Aaaand rinse and repeat for Saturday. Me being in hospitality enjoying my fill of beer and wine may just make it a wee bit easier to watch.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Both these statements are admirable.

Tannadice is one of only four grounds in Scotland I’ve not been to. Despite being at Dens several times I’ve never quite made it to the posh side of the street.

So tomorrow I’ll at least tick that off the list. Plus if Dumbarton score a goal; an actual real life goal, I’d like to tell my grandchildren I was there to see it.

Archived