Arbroath v Raith

After watching Raiths highlights v Albion they looked a bit shaky at the back compared to what they usually are. Obviously the pressure is well and truly on them at the moment knowing that they cannot slip up at all or it’s Ayrs title, we aren’t entirely pressure free but we’ve got a very good cushion over Stranraer at the moment and you would think that another 3 points would seal it so hopefully we go for it.

I’d make a few changes, thought Wallace and McIntosh were good up top together against Alloa so I would keep them together, Wallace coming on to a game a bit with 2 very good finishes in the last 2 games. Joint 6th top scorer in all of Scotland too btw. Would also like to see McKenna kept in the team in a deeper role, I’d drop Yule if TOB is back fit. Not sure about Bobby but would imagine this is maybe a bit too soon for him.

Gomes

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Martin

McKenna

Whatley

Swankie

Denholm

Wallace

McIntosh

Ayr have Airdrie, tough game for them, maybe a chance of a larger than usual Raith following considering the circumstances? Could potentially go level on points if things go right for them, still think there’ll be a twist in the run in.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be pessimistic  but, regardless of who the manager puts on the pitch, I can't see us picking up many more points from the games that are left. The last game v Queens Park is the only one I would be confident about taking anything from.

I hope to be proved wrong, just hope that Stranraer don't take maximum points fro their last 4 games.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Arbroath have been due a win against Raith, surely now is the time. Think with our 2 away fixtures to Airdrie and Alloa we might need some help so fingers crossed that the red lichties can do us a favour

They haven't deserved to win any of the games so far against us so certainly don't think they are due a win.

Expect this to be the game when any faint title hopes die off though.

Important everyone stays calm on Saturday.

The priority has to be to win the game, regardless of what happens at Airdrie. Win the game and worst case it just kicks the issue down the road for another week. If the gap is still three, it's even more unlikely, but still gives it in our own hands to be level on points by the time we leave Stranraer. If Ayr do drop points, it's only of any use if we win.

Really important to not dwell too much on what's happening in the other game. East Fife taking the lead did nothing to help us, just caused mass panic on and off the pitch.

I think Arbroath will get a result though. We've ground out three wins in a week but it will be hard to continue that without Vaughan. He's one of the few players in the squad that can receive a ball to feet and actually create. Probably going to be long punts to Furtado and hope something sticks.

Key for us is getting an early goal. Against Airdrie and East Fife we scored in the first half and controlled the rest of the game.  Against Albion we created precious little until the late goals.

Arbroath are a tidy side and probably best of the rest from what I've seen.

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

After watching Raiths highlights v Albion they looked a bit shaky at the back compared to what they usually are. Obviously the pressure is well and truly on them at the moment 

I think the pitch played a part. It was cutting up. Matthews slipped a few times and Davo seemed like he was having trouble too, which may be why he was caught on the ball a couple of times.

3 hours ago, Frank conner said:

Vaughan will be a big loss but we can't use missing one player as an excuse. We should still have enough to win the game but I just don't think the players have the character to see it through. 

This. Vaughan is a cracking player, but he can be greedy at times (an example on Saturday where we took on two players, and then hit the side netting with Spence near him in space in front of an open goal). We've got plenty of threats going forward.  

One positive is that it surely can't be as windy as the last game at Gayfield. 

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Drop Wallace

I concur!

I honestly think he is very very poor. Not enough energy, lazy, too busy diving trying to play for fouls because he is not good enough to just get on with the game. He is the most frustrating player in the squad and I believe we have better options than him. I'd put anyone upfront ahead of him. This is the time to give Hester his chance!

I concur!

I honestly think he is very very poor. Not enough energy, lazy, too busy diving trying to play for fouls because he is not good enough to just get on with the game. He is the most frustrating player in the squad and I believe we have better options than him. I'd put anyone upfront ahead of him. This is the time to give Hester his chance!

It’s the constant throwing himself to the ground that drives me mad. That dive against Stranraer at midfield should have seen him released on the spot. Good penalty taker is the only really positive Iv got for him at this point. There is a player in there.....but he needs to show me more

I concur!

too busy diving trying to play for fouls . He is the most frustrating player in the squad

I agree with all of this 100 percent

But to say he’s a poor footballer is just not true, last few games he’s shown he can be very good at times. Record over the years and his reputation with other clubs fans show that too. Definitely needs to cut that out though, too soft

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

At hospitality for this, pretty confident my 100% hospo losing rate will continue if our defence plays anything like Saturday.

If that's the case then I'm sure a few Rovers fans would be more than happy to club together and treat you in both playoff legs should we play each other. 

13 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

If that's the case then I'm sure a few Rovers fans would be more than happy to club together and treat you in both playoff legs should we play each other. 

Just pay me in mate. I’ve only ever attended two of our play-off games; the 1-0 home win over Hibs and the 2-2 draw at Airdrie. I’ve never seen us lose a play-off game.

I will endeavour to make both legs of our play-off games this season.

Archived