Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Oh, I forgot to come in here and laugh at Eric Hosmer being DFA'd, so..... hahahahahaha!

Enjoy playing in some no-mark shithole like KC for vet minimum next year, you absolute waster. Just a pity SD will still be on the hook for tens of millions you did nothing whatsoever to earn.😡

8 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Correa's deal with the Giants fell thru so Cohen has stepped in. The Mets payroll is going to be astronomical. Does he play 2nd base? Don't think we'll shift Lindor.

It’s $100 odd million over the tax threshold already.  They basically have a payroll double the Giants, and the Giants are hardly a low budget team.  It’s going to require a new salary penalty.  

Seemingly Correa failed his medical and the Mets don’t really care.  I’m extremely surprised the Commissioner hasn’t intervened yet, but he might be the most incompetent Commissioner in US sport. 

Seems like a possibility the Giants just got cold feet on such a big deal? Read an article suggesting the medical issue was actually from something before Correa ever played in MLB?

that Mets payroll is going to be hilarious though - showing up all the other owners as cheap (and a few as outright thieves robbing their teams blind)

4 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

Quite happy to see the Cubs add Swanson as they have lots of money to spend. Swanson likely not going to be a superstar, but a decent bet to remain an above average player for the duration with such good defensive skills 

Yup.  Correa probably is the best of the shortstop four, but the Swanson contract is clearly the best option for a team not wanting to hamstring itself - or even the Mets.

On 21/12/2022 at 12:47, placidcasual said:

Correa's deal with the Giants fell thru so Cohen has stepped in. The Mets payroll is going to be astronomical. Does he play 2nd base? Don't think we'll shift Lindor.

Reports are that he’s failed his Mets physical as well.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Reports are that he’s failed his Mets physical as well.  

I feel bad for the player, but if it's off I'm glad. If Cohen wants to spend like this, I'd rather it wasn't on 10 years worth of middle infield when Lindor is there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2022 at 19:49, placidcasual said:

I feel bad for the player, but if it's off I'm glad. If Cohen wants to spend like this, I'd rather it wasn't on 10 years worth of middle infield when Lindor is there.

Well, he officially won’t be going to New York.  The Mets doctor agreed with the Giants doctor and the deal is off.  He’s agreed a 6 year deal with the Twins.   

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So... Trevor Bauer officially a Free Agent. Who is going to blink first?

You’d think Mets, but even Steve Cohen isn’t that reckless, surely?   

I can see this ending in a collusion case.  

• 2 weeks later...

How about them Orioles then?

Punched above their weight last season, and they have a huge amount of talent coming through the system at the minute.

I reckon they'll give a lot of these young boys a shot in the big leagues this year then go daft next season pushing for the World Series.

So many exciting young players, fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

How about them Orioles then?

Punched above their weight last season, and they have a huge amount of talent coming through the system at the minute.

I reckon they'll give a lot of these young boys a shot in the big leagues this year then go daft next season pushing for the World Series.

So many exciting young players, fingers crossed.

Ten years of aimless tanking has finally paid off.  Would be interesting to see them really go for it in free agency or the trade market.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Ten years of aimless tanking has finally paid off.  Would be interesting to see them really go for it in free agency or the trade market.  

That certainly helps! I do think their picks have been quite smart though, rather than just going for the top rated option.

Can't see them spending big money quite yet. A lot of these young guys need a bit more experience first, but I'd imagine it'll happen next year.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Only four weeks til the start of Spring Training games. Nearly there!

And even though it's not MLB, the World Baseball Classic starts in 5 weeks! It's a few of years overdue thanks to COVID, but always an entertaining tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I know there's some Padres fans on here so what do you think about Yu Darvish signing a six year deal for $108 million?

Not a Padres fan but it seems quite risky to me for someone who's going to be 37 this year. 

He does seem to keep himself in amazing shape though, and he's been incredibly consistent forever so I think it could pay off.

23 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I know there's some Padres fans on here so what do you think about Yu Darvish signing a six year deal for $108 million?

I’d say it’s the kind of contract you’d give a 30 year old free agent 15 years ago.  The tail end of that is going to be a disaster. 

On 09/02/2023 at 11:07, Craig fae the Vale said:

Glad they resigned him, however, I don't think the contract was made with the sincere expectation that he will be pitching at 42. Would be really, cool, but the contract seems designed to help keep the team under the luxury tax threshold. His annual average value drops from $21m to $18m with this deal. He's coming off a career year, if he can reliably play for four years I'd say it's worth it.